Update 4.2 First Impressions

And kinetic :confused:

We already know how good she is and she got buffed regardless

Caine still seems mostly balanced to me. Maybe he wonā€™t once Iā€™m more used to him.

One thing I notice itā€™s that if you are good at timing your abilities and landing hits, he basically never runs out of bullets, particularly with Spellsword and Halcyon Chargers.

He can get crazy if heā€™s allowed to work the edge of a fight, but he is t as good at escaping or kiting as many other snipers and Halcyon Chargers are part of his high-damage build (so he doesnā€™t get Journey Boots), which make him a bit more vulnerable to getting dived or outflanked. Basically any melee who reaches him ought to end him.

I really hate the look of the character, and hate his voice more. He reminds me a bit of Vicious (from Cowboy Bebop), or a half-fast copy of the Joker. The whole aesthetic comes off as ā€œtrying too hardā€.

His dash has almost only 2 seconds cooldown, so killing him as melee gives me headache

Edit: is like killing a Vox with more CC and damage

Not for Kensei or BF, Feng and other lane melees.

Heros like Melee junglers like Rona or Glaive would have a hard time.

You havenā€™t seen what I saw. I have to tested though, but it reminds me of Skye. The enemy cain was using A+AA+AA+B and repeat, I was having a hard time even looking where he was. A dash with 2s cooldown (I have to test the build though) with 65% slow isnā€™t easy to engage on.

1 Like

As Kensei it was a pain, he has long range, so I had to use BA to reach him, then he dashes in one direction, I use another charge of my A and 2 seconds later he just uses another dash, so I use again my A andā€¦ surprise surprise, he runs out of bullets so he just get the speed boost to scape and, again, uses his B + A to slow me for 2 secondsā€¦ obviously if you land your ult Cain is dead, but until thenā€¦

Edit: BFā€¦ you can just poke if CP, if WPā€¦ well, is not hard to deal with WP BF

Yeah, but he dashes like two feet. He canā€™t even dash out of range of Inara, Blackfeather, Yates, Kensei, Reza or Lance, and he canā€™t get far enough from other melees that they wonā€™t catch him if he stuttersteps (except maybe Krul; Krul has tyrannosaurus arms). In order to get the cooldown on his B down, Caine needs to shoot, so heā€™s going to miss a few steps. His das has a range of around 3, while most melees have a range of 2+, and run a bit faster, which makes it a very questionable escape even before you start counting for Pulseweave, Frostburn, Shiversteel, and any of the things that melees do do either close the gap or prevent escape.

His dash is more useful for dodging skillshots and adjusting his position than for escaping.

Granted, itā€™s still early, so people havenā€™t figured out everything about how to play Caine, and I tend to play very mobile heroes, but Caineā€™s dash hasnā€™t really given me problems yet. Itā€™s about the same as Voxā€™s dash, IMO.

His dashes are as long as Kenseiā€™s with a lot less cooldown.

Kensei also has a melee range which is longer than either of their dashes, and slightly higher run speed. I can see where he might have problems since he might dash one way while Caine dashes the other, but in pure pursuit Kensei ought to be able to land enough hits. If Caine is dashing every two seconds, heā€™s definitely shooting, so heā€™s going to lose a few steps. It could go either way, depending on who zigs and who zags, but itā€™s not a plain win for Caine.

Builds will tend to tilt things more in favor of the melee, since melees can tyipically work in items like Pulseweave and Shiversteel.

Also, as soon as a melee engages on Caine he canā€™t do anything but deal with that melee. If you make him dash a bunch of times running away, you still put him out of the fight. I havenā€™t seen a big problem with it yet though.

Kensei doesnā€™t use any of those objects, and those heroes who use them canā€™t do much agains Cain.

Inara still shreds him; she basically just runs after him and he canā€™t get away from her A. Alpha, Reza, Taka and Koshka are fine against him too (though I built Frostburn on Koshka, which is not a normal build for me). Kensei might have unique problems against him just because Kensei and Caine might dash at the same time and create a wider gap, but that does not mean melees have a problem with him.

Kensei also tends to be built more glass-cannon than other melees, so he might need to deviate more from cookie-cutter builds, or just not pick Kensei into Caine.

1 Like

The Inara nerfs are obnoxious. They donā€™t seem to make her unplayable, but they make playing her kinda miserable.

First, her early game has always been difficult at best, but now sheā€™s stuck farming and doing nothing but farming. The SGB nerf means that she basically canā€™t damage players for the first 5 minutes or so, but also the energy costs on her abilities have been dramatically increased at low levels. With the way her energy works now, she always runs out in fights before level 8. Always. Every single time, and her basic attacks do no damage (thanks to the SGB nerf), so thereā€™s a lot of frustration.

Inara is an ability-based hero, and she doesnā€™t have enough energy to make it through a fight before leve 8. Itā€™s annoying. (If her basic attacks were more significant, then it wouldnā€™t be so bad.)

After level 8, I canā€™t really tell if the energy change makes a difference, because I tend to build Halcyon Chargers and either Spellsword or Stormcrown for the cooldown. She wasnā€™t overpowered when built without those items though ā€” when you look at winning builds for Inara they already gave up Journey Boots or more damaging items in favor of cooldown on a lot of builds, and the JB/damage builds tend to be a bit weaker anyway.

The nerf to her Ult is also just frustrating. Itā€™s still powerful-ish, but itā€™s a lot harder to use properly now. Donā€™t mistake ā€œharder to useā€ for ā€œmore skillfulā€. Inara usually isnā€™t on the frontline, so sheā€™s usually kind of guessing how the fight is going as she approaches it; sheā€™s briefly rooted as she activates her Ult and relies on speed to attack safely, so she pretty much always uses her ult to begin teamfights. The skill comes in how she chooses to use that burst of speed, and when and how she uses her dash. That part isnā€™t going to change (it would be suicide for a melee hero with no defenses in her kit to initiate a fight without extreme speed) but what will change is that Inara wont be able to reuse her ult to chase a fleeing enemy team or to help her team run away. She still works, she just loses a lot of her ability to be a playmaker.

Inara has always been pretty balance, but thatā€™s taking her extreme utility into account. The nerfs seem aimed at reducing her utility, which might make sense if her damage or sustain were more in line with other junglers. If SEMC wants to homogenize her, they should really go all the way and give her a bit more damage and a bit of sustain to make up for the utility theyā€™re removing.

Wellā€¦ Inara has proven to not be balanced at all, she is consider the second most powerful jungler in 5v5. I think she needed a nerf, but I donā€™t know how strong is the nerf she is receiving, I donā€™t play Inara soā€¦ hard to say.

Iā€™m not sure about ā€œmost powerfulā€. Neither her win rates nor pick/ban rates have ever been out of line. She was flexible. She has no real counters, can build WP or CP as needed, can fill in with an extra FoR or Crucible if needed, and can adjust her strategy depending on what the enemy is doing. She can react to help teammates anywhere on the map. She doesnā€™t get any easy wins, but she has a ton of outplay potential. Her flexibility is balanced out by her mediocre damage and poor sustain (as compared to other junglers; sheā€™s one of the few who has no built in sustain).

I donā€™t think SEMC really meant her to be played as mobile support, but thatā€™s basically how sheā€™s played (usually without utility items), because her kit is 100% focused on mobility and utility. I think they meant her as a warrior or an assassin, but she lacks the burst of an assassin, and lacks the sustain of a warrior ā€” if you try to play her like you would other junglers she sucks. I could understand if SEMC wanted her to homogenize her with other junglers, but most of us already tried to build and play her more like other junglers, and her kit does not work that way.

So far I can still make her work, but the nerfs were mostly designed to make her frustrating to play. Her early game is just insipid, since she only has enough energy to use her A and B twice ( half that if she uses her Ult), which means that if she uses abilities at all in the jungle she has no chance of finishing a fight against a player. Worse, her B gets hit harder on energy, and her B is her escape.

Itā€™s just stupid to design a hero so that they need to avoid fighting players or using abilities for the first 10 minutes of a match. Maybe itā€™s balanced, but itā€™s not fun.

2 Likes

Please, tell me the win rate and pick rate of Inara in update 4.1

2 Likes

That versatility and outplay potential is which makes her so powerful i high tiers, where basically anyone can outplay with Inara. Itā€™s hard to see how strong is she due to her damage not being really high and his utility not comparable with other roams (where you can see effectively the CC they provide), but she was for certain really powerful, reason why she got nerfed.

Edit: they increased energy cost to basically everybody in the game, so energy management become a thing, you just need to adapt your playstyle, I personally donā€™t find the nerf as big as you are claiming.

1 Like

Idk if this is the accurate since the api has been down for about one patch up till now but it was for sure higher but I remember it never reaching over the #10 ranked.

It was not broken at all but coordinated teams (with Inara) slammed the opposing team with her A M A Z I N G utility. Not damage.

And brings me to her ult.

The cooldown upped on her ult was warranted since it lasted ten seconds with a CD of 40 but the rest of nerfs was not really needed.

1 Like

VGPro hasnā€™t been updated in terms of hero stats for 3 updates already, so no, itā€™s not accurate.

Hint: there isnā€™t any stat you can look, none of them are updated, thatā€™s why I asked.

1 Like

Ah interesting but why ask for her stats knowing this?

1 Like