Announcing: VG Community Edition

I don’t know how I feel about everything going on right now. For me VG is the game in which I truly invest time, and therefore means a lot for me. Seeing how the game is basically… dead… I don’t find any other word to describe it.

As you guys said before, with no real improvements made in the game, just updated with some balance changes made by us… I guess s a matter of time that everyone leaves.

Hellsdevil uploaded a video to show how to make a China account, I’m not sure if that’s the best option or not, but I may think about it, just because I don’t want to leave the game (although I stoped playing consistently some time ago), with no chance to play it again.

As someone said in a YouTube comment, “I was in the beginning, and I will be at the end”.

If project SpellFire has success, is there any chance SEMC could bring us again VG? I don’t think so but… I want to believe there is some hope.

2 Likes

The fact that CEO deleted his tweet shows another level of insecurity.

6 Likes

China account would mean really high ping in a game that is not tolerating even not that bad connection to the server. It will be frustrating to play…

As for SEMC picking up again VG - no, this will not happen almost certainly as if they considered such an option, would not pick the community edition approach at all.

1 Like

Not to take sides here but its not honestly all his fault for removing the tweet. Over the course since the shutdown of the servers (rogue) the amount of harassment whether its in the comments section, dms, or tagging is just amazing to see.

If I were in his position, I would have put my twitter in private mode.

Does it or am I excusing his behavior? Nope. But its not all on him. The community can be extremely toxic too. (Like the one dm that called him a egghead instead of being mature and asking why that choice was made).

I wish everyone could put it past them since the real problem in the present is that will this CE work out or not.

2 Likes

The sheer amount of harassment being sent over to Rogue on their Twitter and such makes me cringe a little. It’s certainly warranted considering Rogue pretty much handled everything with VG in some of the worst ways possible, but harassing them with relatively immature comments won’t really accomplish anything.
I feel like Rogue’s CEO shouldn’t have even sent out the tweet in the first place. Throwing out that condescending remark instead of trying to show the slightest sliver of remorse (even if it’s disingenuous) in an attempt to lessen the negative PR or something was the worst possible way to go about this whole situation, all it did was add fuel to the fire.

1 Like

Exactly. While the harassment wasn’t needed, he didn’t have to take that step.

:joy: Someone must’ve told him to delete his message so it wouldn’t conflict with this post.

https://rogueco.com/vainglory-update/

4 Likes

Huh I spoke too soon lol.
On their official statement, it certainly conveys their side of the story I suppose, but I’m personally less inclined to believe them and how they supposedly cared about the game a ton considering they’ve broken my trust in them with their lack of prior transparency on this (especially before the attempted shutdown), the last minute pre-shutdown sales, the CEO’s deleted comment, etc. They tried though I guess. It would’ve looked way better if they threw this out earlier.

6 Likes

Can someone ELI5 how VG all stars announcement affected Rogue’s Vainglory?

1 Like

This is exactly correct.

Honestly, after all his tweets soliciting input from the game’s users and making lots of vague promises to fix things … what kind of response was he expecting?

2 Likes

Re: Rogue statement

Even if everything in it is true (and I am skeptical about a couple of points – for instance, what does VG All Stars have to do with anything?), this was issued way too late and doesn’t address the fundamental problem with their behavior: that they gave no advance notice of their decision.

4 Likes

Nothing really. Both are different genres and that isn’t a useable excuse since from my understanding, BT isn’t really a part of semc. Just a different studios but that’s debatable.

I dont even think they addressed that part. Did they?

My only problem as a whole is that while Mike said what he said. As questionable as it seems, the community had a small witch hunt against him. I even saw a vid where it was VG gameplay and it was the community as a 5v1 against a sole Vox (labeled rogue). That right there is something I dont like to see. Rogue did try to do a good. But it didn’t help that they had to go mess it up by doing a silent shutdown of the servers.

Anyways this is kinda out of my confort zone talking about such topics to a degree so imma back up and just watch when it comes to this topic again. :taka:

Also I say community but its not really the whole community. Just reddit and twitter. I dont want to even see if theres a instagram.

And again. Im not choosing sides. Im just cringing from both sides, and if I could cringe any harder, my neck would snap.

4 Likes

Yep, both are generally cesspools of toxicity, which is why I greatly prefer platforms like this forum that promote more thoughtful discussion.

4 Likes

After reading rogue’s response and thinking about it… i’m just not buying it man…

Don’t get me wrong, but this entire letter from Rogue seems like self-pity.

i mean, sure, they made a valid point by saying that they were getting tugged into a financial sinkhole due to the cost of the servers.
They did also at least try to do SOMETHING and they did fix the global chat. People out here saying Rogue did nothing for VG, but being a small, not so well-known company and taking up one of the former biggest mobile games into your own hands… Yes, it’s HARD.

The coronavirus argument… ehh, you know, seems like something to say as an extra backup to use the situation in your favor, but i’m no Rogue CEO and nor am i an expert, so i’ll take their word for it.

Now comes the part that made me go 180 degrees on this bad boy. Vainglory all stars… They say one of the reasons is because VGAS appears to be a competitor, which might endanger vainglory’s future as in revenue and etc?
Did you even see that thing?
I don’t want to come off as a mean guy, and i know it’s a very early alpha, but that thing looks awful. Why, Why would it even come closer to competing to a seemingly monster game, of entirely different genre, which is vainglory?

and they have highlighted this information in RED TEXT. Don’t know if that’s because they wanna intentionally emphasize on that BS, as if telling us: " Oh no guys, look, a new vainglory related game, well guess we ded now, abandon ship, blame that thing ", or maybe it’s just because i’m delusional and ramping things up a notch.

and of course, the last part…:
“With the project now in the hands of SEMC once again, we trust that their decisions, like the [recent announcement of “Community Edition”] and Vainglory All Stars, will take the franchise to the next level. We’ll be watching from the sidelines and hoping for the best.”

taking the franchise to another level? my man, you literally put a bullet in its head, this empathetic text comes off as nothing more than corporate cringe in attempt for PR to save their face.

Man, that was long but i had to write this.
As i said in the beginning, i just don’t buy this… i really don’t.

8 Likes

Idk if you’re also working on the revamp but good luck to you and your TBM crew! :skaarf: @HipsterSkaarf

4 Likes

I can’t agree more on the All Stars part. As a new game in the VG franchise, it may take away some players (and by extension profits) from the main game, but it’s clearly designed towards casuals and those that want a serious experience will definitely stick to regular VG. Plus, considering that All Stars is barely in an alpha state, the possible effects on the main game from it might not happen until a while when the finished version launches.
On another note, I don’t understand how they can say 3v3 and ARAM were “prioritized” by them when neither got ANY particular spotlight outside of the last patch when ARAM and cas 3v3 were planned to be brought back, which clearly fell though with them abandoning the game.

2 Likes

Did they do anything to either gamemode? Like I don’t remember any changes at all.

Maybe more 3v3 driven balancing?

Though massive server costs are believable, and it gives us insight to why lag became way more frequent around the time rogue took over: they were trying to tweak some stuff in the background. That’s a pretty valid reason. I don’t understand how vainglory allstars would be a competitor though. It’s a different type of game. It would be like saying, “Well everyone is going to go play pubg, or riot’s lol so why should we try competing?” It doesn’t quite add up. That being said, their reasoning is relatively sound which makes the ceo’s gross tweets and the surprise shutdown even more mysterious. Was it really that hard to explain to the community what was going on?

1 Like

This is where I get stuck. This all sounds reasonable, but how does any of this justify shutting down servers with no warning. Maybe corona hits real hard. Surely you can give at least 1-2 days of warning and explain whats going on.

5 Likes

:easter_cheers_3:

2 Likes

I must say, I admire his enthusiasm.

Also, isn’t this about the 3rd or 4th time they’ve decided to “focus on the official Vainglory Discord”? :wink:

Fwiw, I haven’t heard anything back yet regarding my inquiry about hosting/funding/operating a VGCE server.

4 Likes