Announcing: VG Community Edition

I can’t agree more on the All Stars part. As a new game in the VG franchise, it may take away some players (and by extension profits) from the main game, but it’s clearly designed towards casuals and those that want a serious experience will definitely stick to regular VG. Plus, considering that All Stars is barely in an alpha state, the possible effects on the main game from it might not happen until a while when the finished version launches.
On another note, I don’t understand how they can say 3v3 and ARAM were “prioritized” by them when neither got ANY particular spotlight outside of the last patch when ARAM and cas 3v3 were planned to be brought back, which clearly fell though with them abandoning the game.

2 Likes

Did they do anything to either gamemode? Like I don’t remember any changes at all.

Maybe more 3v3 driven balancing?

Though massive server costs are believable, and it gives us insight to why lag became way more frequent around the time rogue took over: they were trying to tweak some stuff in the background. That’s a pretty valid reason. I don’t understand how vainglory allstars would be a competitor though. It’s a different type of game. It would be like saying, “Well everyone is going to go play pubg, or riot’s lol so why should we try competing?” It doesn’t quite add up. That being said, their reasoning is relatively sound which makes the ceo’s gross tweets and the surprise shutdown even more mysterious. Was it really that hard to explain to the community what was going on?

1 Like

This is where I get stuck. This all sounds reasonable, but how does any of this justify shutting down servers with no warning. Maybe corona hits real hard. Surely you can give at least 1-2 days of warning and explain whats going on.

5 Likes

:easter_cheers_3:

2 Likes

I must say, I admire his enthusiasm.

Also, isn’t this about the 3rd or 4th time they’ve decided to “focus on the official Vainglory Discord”? :wink:

Fwiw, I haven’t heard anything back yet regarding my inquiry about hosting/funding/operating a VGCE server.

4 Likes

ELO RESET WOOOOOOO

1 Like

This can only hurt mm compared to why it was. Why people have always called for a reset is beyond me.

It wont help with boosting, inflation, or any other mm quality. If you enjoy having poorly matched chaotic games thats fine, but I personally was hoping they could follow up with their goal of carrying over rank data.

1 Like

I find it annoying/disappointing that our player names appear to be lost as well.

I just don’t see this working out well at all. Why would anyone want to play the game with all these limitations?

2 Likes

Well ideally the whole ranking system should be reworked but since thats not going to happen a full reset is necessary. I take 2 months breaks from the game sometimes and when i come back i lose more games than i win and still end up hitting 2500 elo when i should probably not even hit 2400. When you perform a full reset the games are chaotic at first but they eventually smoothen out a few weeks later. When you dont perform a full reset on the other hand you get tier 10 games infested with people who should have never made out of tier 8. I am not worried about the full reset, i know i can get my old back providing i put my mind into grinding.

This is where the party system is at fault. 3-5 man parties give such a unfair advantage and allow players to get boosted out of their deserved placement. But most VG players would disagree since its been like this since forever :tanuki:

Correct, i made a thread long ago how removing 3 man parties would mathematically improve the matchmaking. But thats not the only reason why elo gets inflated there many players who eventually solo queue to vg silver many months later with a 45% win rate when they would probably not make it out of poa in a 3 months season starting from scratch.

1 Like

How do they lose player names? That still doesn’t make sense to me.

Have you logged in lately? EVERYTHING is gone: your username, your ICE, your glory, your guild, your friends list … everything.

3 Likes

I actually think VG has a lot of potential to come out of this situation a lot more centralized, and I don’t think people will quit VG on a whole because of this move.

VG is a good game. Structurally. I figure with the latest dev update that a good enough amount of people are still playing, because I doubt an update would have been issued, much less as much progress been made on stages, in such short time, if people weren’t.

Edit: I should say focused instead of centralized. Focused is much better.

2 Likes

The whole point behind CE is to make the game database free.

1 Like

My tidal enchanter lyra and occulist lyra. :frowning: i miss her

4 Likes

Noone will want, I suspect that already they lost half of the already super low player base.

Lets say for the educated imaginarily sake: from 50 000 players outside of china to 20k now - based on 20k players on samsung devices 6 months ago when I last check + adding iphones and other android phones for 50k, I am sure they got a lot lower than that till now, but as I said - imaginarily sake.

So I suspect as more and more will quit, that their enthusiasm will perish and that they will even abandon the VG community edition without a lot of polishing and as a rough experience.

A lot of the MOBA experience comes outside of the gameplay itself and also in the competitive scene. At that point, as much as I can be disagreed with from some, I will call ML superior game by far.

2 Likes

Does anyone knows how long they will take… for the game to come online?? Also our accs too.

I am dying to playing lyra malene or viola. My hands are itchy.

disagree, they said that they have to move fast with that one, so they will do just that. It’s not a decision based on how many players still play the game, it’s just to end with it and continue 100% into their new game. Btw, also don’t forget that it’s perfectly possible for them to do it so no legal actions are taken towards them. Will explain why, because the game will not stop to exist and continue in China. This can potentially lead to different issues for SEMC. It’s easier to remove everything (do you realise at all that they are doing exactly that? They are removing things and all their work is towards only that + a little bit new needed elements/reworks).

They will basically remove everything that they calculated will lead to super low server costs, they also on top of that want the community to pay for the servers and that’s all. They will not allow any modding or new additions beyond balance values tweaks that are most likely txt type of file on the server…

This game is dead and I find all kind of positivism strange and a really far stretch…

3 Likes