"Karas" Was Blatantly Plagiarized from Onmyoji Arena

Did you watch the side by side vid? Even the visual effects are copied.

No way it’s an accident, I’m sorry to say.

7 Likes

Totally, this cannot be a mistake and is clearly a blatant copy-paste. Also I don’t see this SEMC’s work tbh, with all their mistakes and whatnot, they never did such thing + people forget that rogue is working on the game from the summer. Blah… disappointing, I really wanted to believe that things will move into the right direction and it’s getting only worse vs what SEMC did in the “zombie mode” period.

1 Like

True, at least we got some minor balance changes in that period.

2 Likes

and unique heroes when they released them… but let’s be honest, most likely those were the started ones that was not finished and after they finished with them, rogue took the game.

And hero spotlights before updates.

Please don’t get me started with how stuff turns out like this on MOBAs.
For the younger kids out there, LoL was based of DotA. Some skills are indeed copy pasted with minor adjustments. Don’t blatantly flame the devs/company for “copying” because honestly, it is normal for MOBAs.

If that isn’t enough for you, just look how ML “copied” LoL. Was it an issue? Yes.
Did it affect their playerbase? No.

TLDR; stop bringing the game down if you are just whining over one copied hero.

To give proper credit, yeah they could’ve made the description a bit different.

Copying abilities, their descriptions, and their visual effects is NOT the normal method of developing new characters for MOBAs – or for any other legitimate game.

Sorry, try again.

EDIT: As an artist, I’m kind of surprised you’re okay with plagiarism this blatant, tbqh.

8 Likes

True that some skills are copy pasted in every moba but did you read that chinese hero abilities? Devs literally copypasted abilites, description and animations which is really disappointing given the fact VG is known for its high quality hero designs.

5 Likes

Lol I love how your coming in guns blazing…

Honestly we all hold VG to a standard higher than AoV and ML. What we/some/I are “complaining” about is how that same standard dropped to their level and to the point of copying.

4 Likes

It’s extremely disappointing to see how this happened, to say the very, very, very least. The golden ticket and initial LE skin return ordeals were definitely bad, but as it’s been said multiple times already, this is absolutely a new low.
The heroes were always the best part of the game, imo. They’ve had really interesting designs (for the most part, at least), both visually and gameplay-wise, with some like Churnwalker and Skye showing it pretty well and even some of the simpler ones like Ringo and SAW too. Seeing a pretty blatant copy among the rest of the pretty interesting cast is really sad.
Even in the unbelievably low chance that this is all somehow a freak coincidence or something, I still find it a little bad that Rogue didn’t bother scoping out the competition in order to ensure that copies like this don’t happen. I’m really looking forward to how Rogue responds to all this, and if they don’t, yikes…

4 Likes

Yes games copy and paste from one another all the time. The thing is though they usually have a unique flair that differentiates their content from another games content in some level of design, i.e. they change what they pasted enough so that it actually is different even though there are similarities. When the only differentiating factor between two games is cosmetic, then that’s a nearly blatant copy.

In the context of this hero, not only is it a blatant copy, but it’s a mediocre hero in the first place, in terms of design, complexities, and synergy. Add on that this is seemingly the first showing of a new company takeover product, as SEMC never did something so blatant like this, and people are understandably skeptical and disappointed that this is the direction this game seems to be going in. Add in no balance changes when there are clearly things that can be changed, add in no action plan to address issues plaguing the game that have no direct financial gain, and people are pissed about the whole context of the issue, not just the hero, but the hero was the icing on an otherwise distasteful and disgusting showing that has been going on for a while now in terms of the treatment of vainglory.

You have to understand that this wasn’t some one off game that people just played to play: people were emotionally invested in the game, rooting for its success, praising it left and right for its original feel even though the concept had been done before, and that’s not to mention financial investments. I would theorize that most people who spent money on vg didn’t spend small sums. I myself have probably spent around $500 or more in total on this game in all honesty, and I’m sure others have spent much more. People felt for this game, and to see it reach this state simply out of a ‘thrown up hands’ attitude from the company that made it, after we cared so much about it, is sickening to a lot of people, even at the least because it’s still an amazing game that just needed certain things to get done right.

I should add that this also isn’t some low profile game. This had backing from a lot of heavyweights, featured prominently by a lot of critics, and was expected to (and in some ways lived up to at some points) be an indirect rival to LoL, a long established massive franchise. For SEMC to allow this to happen to its game leaves a massive distaste in a lot of people’s mouths because the expectations were so high and they were often initially met to some degree. It would be different if we were talking about a game that everyone expected to be mostly a knockoff or low quality offering, without as much support as it had.

4 Likes

Did anyone go to official rogue webpage? It seems fishy. Very little organization of the webpage. Like they have pictures of games one under the other with almost no icon or text. Who in right mind would click a picture to lead him to next page, not knowing where it goes. And their mission seems vague (publishing and that).
Edit: serious publisher would have better webpage.

Although I hope im mistaken and they succeed in growing Vainglory.

New hero is smooth in gameplqy but copy/paste really not cool.

2 Likes

Lol people are already starting to personally attack the ceo or whatever. Ugh.

I didnt attack CEO. I just stated my opinion on their website and how its design makes me feel.

No. I didn’t state anyone. Im just saying.

Reddit is already making memes on the rogue dude.

Oh ok then. :beer: 303033030303

1 Like

I actually won’t specify every reply to me because that’s too much for an argument.

Yes it is disappointing, this is a step down on what the game was. Was it by Rogue or was it SEMC? We can all point fingers but that is not our concern. It is just pure blame game.

As an artist no I am not saying I let it off the hook. I am okay in a sense it is new content for the game. We all know MOBAs are just cherry picking what will work or not. The main issue is the text plaigarism.

The animation and how the skill works was copied but that is not enough to suddenly turn your backs on the game.

Disappointing? Yes.
Enough to go 180° (for me)? No.

Hero developing is no joke. You can’t expect everything to be innovated as it may result in a hero balancing or something else problematic.

Thing is try looking everything at a different perspective. No one is perfect. Anyone can critic my opinion anyway.

Wow this was disappointing. It was infuriating when we found kestrel was ripped off, but vg doing it is pretty gross. How much of our uniqueness will get destroyed? I want to hope but this is honestly depressing.

1 Like

That’s not remotely the main issue.

7 Likes

Wow, you really didn’t understand anything. The text is the least of the problems. The big one is how they copied an entire hero.