"Karas" Was Blatantly Plagiarized from Onmyoji Arena

True that some skills are copy pasted in every moba but did you read that chinese hero abilities? Devs literally copypasted abilites, description and animations which is really disappointing given the fact VG is known for its high quality hero designs.

5 Likes

Lol I love how your coming in guns blazing…

Honestly we all hold VG to a standard higher than AoV and ML. What we/some/I are “complaining” about is how that same standard dropped to their level and to the point of copying.

4 Likes

It’s extremely disappointing to see how this happened, to say the very, very, very least. The golden ticket and initial LE skin return ordeals were definitely bad, but as it’s been said multiple times already, this is absolutely a new low.
The heroes were always the best part of the game, imo. They’ve had really interesting designs (for the most part, at least), both visually and gameplay-wise, with some like Churnwalker and Skye showing it pretty well and even some of the simpler ones like Ringo and SAW too. Seeing a pretty blatant copy among the rest of the pretty interesting cast is really sad.
Even in the unbelievably low chance that this is all somehow a freak coincidence or something, I still find it a little bad that Rogue didn’t bother scoping out the competition in order to ensure that copies like this don’t happen. I’m really looking forward to how Rogue responds to all this, and if they don’t, yikes…

4 Likes

Yes games copy and paste from one another all the time. The thing is though they usually have a unique flair that differentiates their content from another games content in some level of design, i.e. they change what they pasted enough so that it actually is different even though there are similarities. When the only differentiating factor between two games is cosmetic, then that’s a nearly blatant copy.

In the context of this hero, not only is it a blatant copy, but it’s a mediocre hero in the first place, in terms of design, complexities, and synergy. Add on that this is seemingly the first showing of a new company takeover product, as SEMC never did something so blatant like this, and people are understandably skeptical and disappointed that this is the direction this game seems to be going in. Add in no balance changes when there are clearly things that can be changed, add in no action plan to address issues plaguing the game that have no direct financial gain, and people are pissed about the whole context of the issue, not just the hero, but the hero was the icing on an otherwise distasteful and disgusting showing that has been going on for a while now in terms of the treatment of vainglory.

You have to understand that this wasn’t some one off game that people just played to play: people were emotionally invested in the game, rooting for its success, praising it left and right for its original feel even though the concept had been done before, and that’s not to mention financial investments. I would theorize that most people who spent money on vg didn’t spend small sums. I myself have probably spent around $500 or more in total on this game in all honesty, and I’m sure others have spent much more. People felt for this game, and to see it reach this state simply out of a ‘thrown up hands’ attitude from the company that made it, after we cared so much about it, is sickening to a lot of people, even at the least because it’s still an amazing game that just needed certain things to get done right.

I should add that this also isn’t some low profile game. This had backing from a lot of heavyweights, featured prominently by a lot of critics, and was expected to (and in some ways lived up to at some points) be an indirect rival to LoL, a long established massive franchise. For SEMC to allow this to happen to its game leaves a massive distaste in a lot of people’s mouths because the expectations were so high and they were often initially met to some degree. It would be different if we were talking about a game that everyone expected to be mostly a knockoff or low quality offering, without as much support as it had.

4 Likes

Did anyone go to official rogue webpage? It seems fishy. Very little organization of the webpage. Like they have pictures of games one under the other with almost no icon or text. Who in right mind would click a picture to lead him to next page, not knowing where it goes. And their mission seems vague (publishing and that).
Edit: serious publisher would have better webpage.

Although I hope im mistaken and they succeed in growing Vainglory.

New hero is smooth in gameplqy but copy/paste really not cool.

2 Likes

Lol people are already starting to personally attack the ceo or whatever. Ugh.

I didnt attack CEO. I just stated my opinion on their website and how its design makes me feel.

No. I didn’t state anyone. Im just saying.

Reddit is already making memes on the rogue dude.

Oh ok then. :beer: 303033030303

1 Like

I actually won’t specify every reply to me because that’s too much for an argument.

Yes it is disappointing, this is a step down on what the game was. Was it by Rogue or was it SEMC? We can all point fingers but that is not our concern. It is just pure blame game.

As an artist no I am not saying I let it off the hook. I am okay in a sense it is new content for the game. We all know MOBAs are just cherry picking what will work or not. The main issue is the text plaigarism.

The animation and how the skill works was copied but that is not enough to suddenly turn your backs on the game.

Disappointing? Yes.
Enough to go 180° (for me)? No.

Hero developing is no joke. You can’t expect everything to be innovated as it may result in a hero balancing or something else problematic.

Thing is try looking everything at a different perspective. No one is perfect. Anyone can critic my opinion anyway.

Wow this was disappointing. It was infuriating when we found kestrel was ripped off, but vg doing it is pretty gross. How much of our uniqueness will get destroyed? I want to hope but this is honestly depressing.

1 Like

That’s not remotely the main issue.

7 Likes

Wow, you really didn’t understand anything. The text is the least of the problems. The big one is how they copied an entire hero.

Oh okay. So the main argument was about them copying it without any changes then. Cool, I really didn’t specify everything on my first reply.
It is a step down and disappointing for players who spent money. It’s a backlash, but then again different perspective regarding the issue.

Go angry at me, I don’t really mind. We all have our own opinion regarding this.

1 Like

Comparing the 2 characters ("Karas" Was Blatantly Plagiarized from Onmyoji Arena) it’s seems more than just the text was copied.

3 Likes

The VISUAL design may not be the same, but his kit is a near carbon copy. Hos visual design isn’t the problem here

Pretty sure more than a handful of people read hero kits since that’s important in understanding how the hero works, especially for their ratios.

2 Likes

As I said before it’s not just the hero but the whole context of the issues plaguing the game in general. The community hoped for change. What we got so far is worse than things staying the same. Not to mention as @Skyefall mentioned, VG was the one getting ripped off by other games before because the concepts were so unique and worked. In fact vg’s success pushed other companies to invest in mobile mobas, so speaking on 180° turns, VG went from a game that was being ripped off for its innovations or inspiring other games to even BE, to a game that blatantly ripped off another game’s complete hero. It went from a game riding the forefront of a challenge to established titans in the genre, although on a different platform, to a game that won’t even bother to fix its chat system. It actively stripped away a lot of good content it previously offered, on whose advice I don’t know. It added in content like the joystick, changed UI, and the talent system, that few members of the community even wanted, just to match other mobas in the arena. It decimated its flagship 3v3 mode and boggled 5v5 initially, and e-sports, in such dramatic fashion just to try to ‘keep up’ with an industry that it was poised to lead. And people invested in this game. Poured their fandom into it, much less their money. There was a time when not having that supporter badge up was something that might be called out by members of the community. This is how much people cared about VG succeeding.

Karas is just another blow to the gut to everyone left who still had hope that VG could live up to its former glory, so is it a reason to 180 on the game? Not necessarily. But in context, it feels as though it’s another smack in the face to all the people who believed vainglory could be more, like it felt like it used to be more, and that is why so many people have the sentiment they have about leaving the game, especially with something as pointedly ‘not vg’ as this latest debacle. VG doesn’t do stuff like this; they take their time to make something with a unique vibe and somewhat heartfelt, regardless of whoever else does it, and prided itself in that, and we as the community shared that sense of pride, and that sense, which has been getting cracked time and time again over the last few years, is shattered in a way it never has been before, because this is coming on the heels of one of the final points of hope this community had that finally, things could possibly be turning around, that that heartfelt touch on the game might return to some degree, and all we got was a ripped off hero who isn’t even that interesting strategically (another point of pride in most vg heroes), more skins, and christmas deals.

This game MEANT something to its players, more than being just a game you play and put down, and that’s why people are pissed off enough to just leave. Not because its not playable, not because it’s not ok, but because ok is subpar to what most of the community came into this game for.

I never forget the first person who introduced me to this game called it the best game ever with such enthusiasm. I was amazed, it was a wonder at the time, immersive, genuinely fun. I felt like I was doing right every time I contributed a few dollars when I could. Now it feels like the game is soul-less and so uninspired that they feel comfortable just lifting a concept barely changed out of another game. The uncomfort with this game runs deeper than Karas.

7 Likes

This is just tiny low effort rant.

I was in the middle of a write up about how bad the new heroes design is when I heard he was a copy from another game. This may sound dumb, but why not copy a hero that actually has a compelling and interesting design? Surely if you are shamelessly pulling content from other games your pulling the best content right? Why pull a hero that was unoriginal before you copied it?

6 Likes

This so much, imo. Over time, the game really lost the heart and promise it once showed, especially for a mobile game. Karas’s kit being copied feels like the final nail in the coffin bc of how it ruins the somewhat hopeful image of future for the game that Rouge tried creating when they took over. I still have a soft spot for the game, but it’s getting more and more difficult to stay positive about it…

4 Likes

Im sorry but I have to clap back.

You’ve been pretty inactive on the forums but the moment we start talking about this (we arent even trying to cancel Rogue), you jump right back on and come back talkin as if this isn’t a big deal and we are just making drama.

Then when when some reply back. You run to your server (since most of us arent there) and shade the forums.

[Images were mistaken]

Mind you, we are talking about this WAYYYY better than how the reddit group is taking it. Lol one of the made a meme pointed at the ceo or whatever.

Why dont you speak out to the reddit group the same way you’ve have done with us?

Also the SS are two messages at two different times.

If you can say it there, why not say it here to. We arent here to bully you. We just have a heated discussion on a game that most of us care about. Why wouldn’t we be mad in some shape or form?

Im NOT here to bash you. I just want you to lose your White Knight mentality and atleast have you question why some of us are mad on a deeper level. Though I do not speak on behalf of the Forums, Im just saying what might other would think as well.

On a different note:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rogue_Co/status/1207843094588280832

7 Likes