Introducing... Hats!

I think hats are eh. Why dedicate resource into such a thing? It’s comical, sure, but I want something else really. My stance is neutral mainly. Do what they have to do to make money I suppose. I’m already leaching off of them via the Battle Pass, hehe.

Like, a hero that resonates with my wants and mechanical skills (my main heroes don’t resonate me as much except Fortress, because I love wolves and dogs. They are just too precious for this world sometimes.). A werewolf would be nice, lol.

Aside from that, I think the “We communicate with the community” people in SEMC are gone in my opinion, or silenced to the point of irrelevancy.

It started when PlayOffBeard left, followed by NivMett.

Zekent is around, but eh, he never really ever says much on stream or anything else.

SugarVenom is/was the remaining one dev I feel talks to the community a bit and most love her writing of VG’s lore. Sure, she doesn’t do that due to circumstances and employment arrangement anymore, but at least she sneaks lore in via hero voicelines a bit at least.

The one thing that stood out to me when Sugar Venom got reduced work was her twitter profile pic change. She had a profile of her wearing a shirt with the company’s logo. She had it for so long. Then the stuff happened and she changed the pic. I feel that shows her detachment from the company I feel.

Did the backlash just disappear from reddit? There were two dedicated threads on the front page - can’t find them anymore.

Sad attempt to stop the shitstorm in its infancy?

Edit: Aaand… they’re back. Can someone explain reddit to me? 'not the first time this happened. (The threads were not simply pushed back, I checked that. Just disappeared.)

Ok first of all you don’t have to use the hats if you don’t want to if you really love this game you would embrace this, yeah maybe they are doing it to make some money but why not? They obviously really need it to keep this game going and coming out with bad azz heroes, the only way this game is going to keep growing and survive is with money! So yeah they have to do things like charms, emotes, and hats, etc. And I’ve even paid for them my self not cause I really want them but to help out semc. I love this game and want to see it succeed the way it deserves and willing to pay $20, $30, even $50 sometimes just to help out. People like you is why this community is suffering.

Complete joke of a feature and with this obviously ignoring people who actually play the game.
SMEC thought process:
“Hey, a lot of people are complaining about the matchmaker should we look into it?”
“Nah, our matchmaker cant possibly be broken, reminds me when this guy with a weird hat-”
“OMG HATS, we should totally add them to the game right away!”

10 Likes

I LOVE vainglory, my laptop doesnt work and I’m a fan of mobas so vainglory is a great game for me, I’ve been playing for at least a year now, but just because I love vg doesnt mean I’ll ignore everything they do wrong.

The reason people dislike hats is because it’s an unneeded feature, no one asked for hats, and surprise! We got hats! Coincidentally, there’s a contest where you put a hat on a hero :))))

Sure money makes the world go round, but look at how desperate SEMC has been with the past changes.
blueprint system I could understand a bit, since skins truly were easy to get, but just making it near impossible to get a specific skin w/o paying is a bit dumb. The card system gave us a sense of progress, and now that’s gone.
You can now buy sunlight levels too, the one thing that people actually grind for to complete, can now be easily filled with some $unlight.
Charms were suddenly changed, NO WARNING BEFOREHAND, from “get this every 7 days lol” to “pray to whatever god that you had me before or that you find me in some chest”. The original kissy face is right now, currently exclusive for no good reason.
Their marketing with the chests/keys with a sense of urgency makes it seem like they’re WAY desperate. “LIMITED TIME OFFER! for about a week until we bring it back next weekend
They also pulled scummy stuff with the golden ticket, people paid so much money on RNG (I’m not one to judge) just for SEMC to decide to just sell them (which they said they wouldnt do!!!)

You don’t need to defend SEMC’s actions to love VG, the forums show this.

2 Likes

I disagree with you on hats. But there are many different and BETTER alternatives like Loading Screen Borders, Profile Pictures, and more Taunt Dances to single heros.

Hats simply dont fit the game style.

Edit: Badges on the loading screen

7 Likes

Have you seen @HipsterSkaarfs reaction?

6 Likes

Can’t we just wait and see what happens?

I get that people are divided on the hat thing, but there’s not much point in arguing and getting mad at each other’s choices. :disappointed_relieved:

I get the fears of frame rates being impacted by the implementation and the confusion that would follow in identifying the right character on the field if they all wear the same hat.

I’m certainly would be fearful if my phone can’t handle Vainglory anymore. I’ve been grinding stuff for years on my account (not rank, mind you).

I also understand that the hats feel ‘cash-grabby’, but we can just not buy them, no? I think the previous two concerns are more of a higher priority.

Maybe some other stuff coming in 3.7 will make up for the dislike of the hats? We shall see.

The game is very very demanding on devices. There are a lot of issues regarding frame drops etc.

People (me included) are furious that they add a halfbaked idea which will ruin game stability even further and rightly so!

3 Likes

Tbqh, I haven’t played a single match in over 2 weeks, and I’m not sure of the last time I opened the app. There’s nothing at all that makes me want to play right now: I hate talents, so brawls are out. I find 5v5 boring and full of poor play & toxicity. The mode that made me love Vainglory 3 years ago (3v3) has been broken and neglected.

I’m sad too, to be honest. I loved the game, and I loved the opportunity it gave me to meet cool people and to play with my kids. But my entire guild has left the game, and my kids would rather play AoV.

7 Likes

Imagine people fighting for their last hope to survive and defeat ancient evil wearing bing-bong hats. Arena of Vainglory: fortnite edition confirmed

6 Likes

u killed me :joy::joy:

This text will be blurred

lol I was waiting for someone to quote those next to each other.

I really don’t mind the hats though. I play the game to have fun, and the hats look like stupid fun. There’s room for highly technical skillful play while wearing a party hat, in my opinion. And while we all want some more improvements to the game in various areas (guilds, matchmaking, etc), having a 3d modeler whip up some hats had absolutely nothing to do with delaying those, so I’m ok.

I’ve already accepted the fact smec doesn’t give a fuck about vets anymore.

IMO, Vainglory died a long time ago. It’s like, we’ve finished the season, and now we’re in an OVA.

This always happens to art. A group of people with a vision create something amazing, but once it’s done, it’s extremely difficult to continue with the same quality.

Take a look at popular media. Why do you think so many people in all sorts of tv and anime say “first season was awesome, everything else was shit.”?

Vainglory had a vision: To create a unique, lore filled, beautifully-rendered game for mobile of all platforms!

It succeeded. But now the vision was over, and the company wanted to grow. Passion was replaced with ambition. Vainglory died before 5v5 was released. That’s when the last drip of passion for something unique was replaced with ambition. So many devs left.

To conclude:

It’s painful to see something great turn into something not so great. My lack of ability to let go has tied me to vainglory. I still see echos of passion, but realistically we’re running on borrowed time.

I say enjoy VG when it still has traces of VG in it.

17 Likes

This is very well put and reflects just how I feel also.

1 Like

shouldnt cosmetics have little to no addition to the gameplay other than looking pretty?

edit: maybe this is just a joke and im still sleepy so hey sorry bout that

edit: oof no its just my 2 brain cells misunderstanding it lol

I know that’s not what you intended to say, but reading this quote in isolation in Angery’s post just made me realize: There “still being room” for gameplay means Vainglory is now mostly about hats.

And charms and taunts. Don’t forget those.

Vainglory Gacha Edition coming soon …

I cant wait to see the future of VG :star_struck::star_struck:

I see a future of complicated internal currency relations (as in what gets you what in game), nice heroes, minimum lore work (and maybe full on lore dump once they get to a certain number of heroes), salty community and zombie e-sport scene.

Note: 100% opinions, 0% research.

3 Likes