I think 5v5 is ruining VG for me

It was the same on the fold as well, i dont think the music changed in teamfights

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s fair to compare CPU MOBA and phone MOBA. Could you expand on the “boring” aspect? I have had many comebacks on the Rise. It’s not uncommon for teams with an early game jungler and roam to dominate early, give up a death or two, and then be out scaled late.

YOu guys are lucky I get a freaking AFK every match vitually it so god damn fustrating

Having only played 3 games this is welcome information.

I mean “boring” is completely subjective. I try to show some of my favorite movies to my daughter and she says they’re boring, so it’s not something quantifiable. I can tell you a few things I dislike about 5v5 though.

Mostly the map. The map is a clone IMO, it is not interesting to me. The way it’s laid out, the massive area of it, and the lack of small spaces. I think the scout cams are a boring mechanic for vision and aren’t interesting. I can’t speak to the balance or the real flow of a match with people who know what’s going on but currently, it is a total cluster ■■■■.

As the OP says the fights were often just 2v3, 3v4 and 4v5. I’m sure that’s an issue of everyone not really knowing when and where to be, but at the moment it’s just not competitive in that way at whatever tier it has me in.

Lastly the watefall is cool looking, but otherwise I really think the map is very uninspired. Put simply, the Fold is better looking than Rise and it was made 4 years ago. It’s just a step back in production value. Forgive me for being jaded, but it’s just underwhelming thus far.

1 Like

Honestly, you have a point about the map. It’s very beautiful in many ways, but it feels sterile to me, whereas the Fold feels much more intimate and alive. Maybe it’s the more distant perspective, where details are much harder to see. Maybe it’s all the paths and less brush. Whatever it is, I don’t get at all the same feeling from the Rise as I do on the Fold.

3 Likes

Thanks. I feel very different about the Rise. There are so many small decisions that make it really good. LIke the top lane being very defensible going against a WP buffed hero whose side is much more open to ganks. The mid lane is gankable from so many positions unlike the Fold which is just mustache bush. The vision system is so much better and creates real decision making on where and when to use vision. The non-linear jungling forced by spawning the buff camps first creates decision making. The longer spawn times for camps don’t allow for mechanical farming that encourages avoiding conflict. Most Roams are now early game gankers with something to actually do besides tank minion damage and soak gold and exp to rush a fountain. The vision system and fog of war really add depth to the map because you don’t need to be in a bush to know you are breaking vision.

There are some visual things I expect they will improve with time like gold toad, buff camps, the shops, scout cam skins and vain crystal area. VG is never going to be as deep as a computer-based moba, but it so much better than anything else on a phone.

8 Likes

Love this response so much. I’m glad the game can live up to expectations

1 Like

Heroes of the storm/heart of the swarm hahaha

The moba I presume…

Given the early gank nature would you go SGB/offense first?

I want to try cath as CD CC support. Stacking stuns like no tomorrow.

Other captains like Grace and Lance arr more damage orientated than her.

Junglers do feel a little imbalanced right now.

I was a daily player for years but SEMC really turned me off the way they behave. I have played only one game of 5v5 and haven’t touched it since. I think I might be over this game :frowning:

Also hi guys! Have any devs signed up here yet?

Oh, and how the hell do I place a mine with the new vision system? Or whatever that new vision mechanic is. I bought the new contraption but every time I did the usual mechanic it shot out a flare.

Well Hots kinda is a lot like vainglory 3v3.

A hero brawler masked as a moba centralizing everything around objectives and funneling you towards team fights , the maps are very linear.

Instead of providing you with a more sandbox like map where actual macro play, vision control, counter jungling outsmarting and farming effectively during laning phase come into play like Dota 2 and LOL and, vainglory 5v5

The halcyon fold does have it’s charms because it’s one lane style is unique, but it was devoid of strategy and too restrictive and as we quite apparently saw, uniqueness didn’t stop VG from slowly dying.

1 Like

you use the scout cams located right to your ult. buying the super scout 2000 increases the number of scout cams you can place (from 2 to 5) and makes them last longer.

1 Like

Hey Joey :slight_smile:
4 Devs and 1 Dev spouse. Not that I am counting or anything…

2 Likes

I’d agree that the Fold is better-looking than the Rise, but this is false. The layout was made 4 years ago, but the graphics were improved several times.

This for instance, is a what 3v3 looked like in its early days, not even release. If there is one thing SEMC has been constantly doing right, it’s their graphics.

3 Likes

I don’t see how the fold is any better looking than the rise , but each to their own. But if there’s one thing you can be excted for, if vainglory lives another 3 years it’ll get a visual update again :grin:

I feel the same way. I’ve been trying to like it but I just can’t. If anything, it highlights how good 3v3 is.

Is HotS easier to learn than LoL. I can’t process LoL it’s way too much.

I tried LoL, HoTS, and DOTA, and I’ll be honest - despite how great HoTS is, it feels kind of… cheesy? I am trying to find the right word to describe it but can’t. It just feels a bit off, like it’s trying too hard. I love Blizzard, though, was never a big WoW person but loved Warcraft back in the day. Starcraft and Diablo were my jams. I play Hearthstone, Overwatch is cool. And I believe that the whole combined universe of HoTS is very neat but it’s just too damn cheesy.

I didn’t click with DOTA, can’t say why. LoL is definitely a lot to take in, I totally agree with you there, but it’s something we could get better at with time spent. I suppose such is the way with most things. Except skateboarding. I suck at that no matter how much I try.

4 Likes

Cheesy in what sense?

There once was a baby in the land, he fell in the drain cos he could not stand <— character limit purposes

Ostentatious is the best word I could come up with, but not necessarily pretentious. Like in my quoted text, to me it feels like it’s trying too hard. I have to also add that I by no means dislike HoTS. I just can’t play it for very long because of that impression it gives me. Most Blizzard work in general gives me this feeling to a degree.