Here come the ads

Honestly, I can’t stand the VG sub on Reddit. The fanboy-ism there is ridiculous.

This actually annoys the hell out of me. On iOS, at least, there’s a way to block VG from using cellular data, which I’ve just gone ahead and done. Not sure about Android.

I’d love to see an explanation as to how our data is being used, but I bet we won’t get one. I didn’t see a new GDPR consent form when they added the ads … isn’t that supposed to happen?

they have to do this. maybe its already in their updated privacy policy.

edit: its in there.

Ah ok. So they must have added it the last time they changed their privacy policy, I guess. (In May, when GDPR went into effect, maybe?)

The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of ads in VG. I don’t want to argue the economics behind the decision – it’s obvious they are trying to increase revenue basically any way they can. But to me, the ads make the game feel sleazy. Maybe it’s the sort of ads I’ve seen so far: ads for Facebook games, etc. They’re low quality and intentionally annoying (move your finger HERE). It’s very jarring when juxtaposed with VG’s graphic excellence.

I don’t want the game to fail – I’ve invested huge amounts of time (and large amounts of money) into it. But all the signs point to a game in decline. Unless SEMC are fools (and although they’ve made some poor decisions with VG in my opinion, I don’t believe they are), they see this too and are trying to prop it up as long as possible so they can pivot as many resources as possible to a new game before VG dies.

I hope it’s at least as good as VG once was!

1 Like

The game hasn’t let me watch ads since they were announced, it shows me that I’ve completed them all (I have never watched an ad) with no rewards. When I refresh the page occasionally it comes up with the normal “watch ad” button but when I click it doesn’t do anything. Maybe you know something about it? No one I know has any idea.

I know it’s more of a bug report thing but I’m already here…

I just posted your message as a bug report in the SEMC Slack …

So, this is the Vainglory I’m missing?

1 Like