Favorite Books

Just wondering what folks around here like to read … feel free to share what you’re currently reading as well as your favorites with us!

2 Likes

In no particular order (I might edit to order them when I get more time):

The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
The Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)
The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis)
Out of the Silent Planet / Perelandra / That Hideous Strength (C.S. Lewis)
A Wizard of Earthsea / The Tombs of Atuan / The Farthest Shore (Ursula K. LeGuin)
Dragonsong / Dragonsinger / Dragondrums (Anne McCaffrey)
Dune (Frank Herbert)
Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)
Watership Down (Richard Adams)
Foundation / Foundation and Empire / Second Foundation (Isaac Asimov)
Ringworld (Larry Niven)
Rendezvous with Rama (Arthur C. Clarke)
Gate of Ivrel / Well of Shiuan / Fires of Azeroth (C.J. Cherryh)
Lord Valentine’s Castle (Robert Silverberg)

(will add more as I think of them)

Currently reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (for the 4th time)

2 Likes

i haven’t been reading so much lately (i have finished all the books and technology holds more than one story i have started writing my own) but the most recent one that i enjoyed most was Caraval…

its an epic journey with heaps of twists (and a lot of romance…) the descriptions of colour are wonderful… one i recall was “the velvet curtains looked like chocolate cake draped with red wine” or something like that. it has a setting which appeals to me (a circus/carnival/dreamland) and lots of magic which i ADORE

other firm favourites of mine are Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Eragon

2 Likes

some nice classics here… i never got into watership down (but i did start reading it 2 years ago when i was 12) similarly i gave up on the drone of lord of the rings…
i want to read narnia but gave up on rereading hsarry potter (dislike her style and to many dumb descions/plotholes)

1 Like

Ooh, good question. I was a huge Vonnegut fan in high school (but haven’t re-read any of his stuff since then), and Sirens of Titan was my favorite. Welcome to the Monkey House was also really good, if you like short stories.

Right now I’m in the middle of One Nation Under Gods, which is a really interesting account of the religious history of the USA. We usually think of it (and describe it) as a Christian nation, but there were loads of different traditions, right from the start, from the Jewish/Muslim/Christian crew of Columbus’s ships, to the spiritual traditions of the Taino and Caribs they met (some of whom found their way to Maryland in the later centuries), to the African healing traditions brought with slaves to Virgina, then to New England (which led to a cultural space for the development of vaccinations in the US). Really cool book.

Had a feeling this was coming :wink:

I’m a big CS Lewis fan too. All my computers and devices/external storage drives are named after Narnia characters. :mouse2: :crossed_swords:

1 Like

Lol, I just started reading it.

1 Like

Try the kingkiller Chronicles
And ofc my all time favorite, The Malazan book of the Fallen

1 Like

I mean…I’ve been reading JoJo if that counts…

1 Like

I’ve read quite a bit of J.R.R Tolkien works with the exception of Unfinished Tales as well as The Fall of Gondolin (not available to buy in here right now)
Aside from Middle Earth Stuff there’s this
“The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie”
“Half-Girlfriend and 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan Bhagat”.
and “Before He Kills and Cause to Kill by Blake Pierce”.
Then there’s some other novels I’ve read that’s in Hindi but unfortunately I can’t type the titles of those in here.

1 Like

I do have a book one of A song of Fire and Ice that I got for free when I bought Beren and Luthien but I’m thinking of saving it for the time when i decide to dig deep in Game of Thrones universe.

1 Like

I just finished re-binge reading the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini. Finished a book a day over the long weekend

2 Likes

Im currently reading sophie’s world by jostein gaarder because of 2 things:

1. We’re required to… (or atleast our philosophy teacher said so…) :sad:
    2.Its actually growing into me… so im still reading it lols
1 Like

I read that for my philosophy 101 class ! It gets oddly trippy at the end but it was pretty good

Haha I had to read that too! It was so long ago though, and I was a high-schooler who didn’t really know anything about anything, so I didn’t get much out of it. Really should revisit, if it’s still being taught after 20 years…

1 Like

Omg stop spoiling me…lol …i hope i can finish this in a week though…is that even possible ?how long did it take you to finish it?

Yes :heart: you should…also wait. 20yrs? : :scream:

Yes, I’m 80. But I started high school when I was 60, so I get where it’s confusing. :wink:

I grew up spending all my time playing music or reading. I now read really fast, so my time to finish a book isn’t a realistic time to go off of.

The average reader should finish it in a week, though. Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did !

Roadside Picnic
Of Human Bondage
The Stranger (The Outsider)
The Dreams in the Witch House

There’s a lot more
a lot more

1 Like