Do you believe Vainglory would thrive if ported to PC?

Did you even read the thread? Satanicsoldier said if you wanted to play Nintendo games you could always emulate, I was speaking in that context.

I’m perfectly aware emulators are legal.

Yes through buying the game and ripping your own rom. Along with all of the homebrew games

Maybe you should work on the clarity of your replies, in that case.

1 Like

You quoted half my post, I was assuming you had read the rest. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Also English isn’t my first language, maybe give me a little leeway? :slight_smile:

That’s a deal. :wink: (You’re doing better than I would do in your language, I’m sure.)

2 Likes

Doing better than i am if i was using a different langauge

1 Like

Yeah not really. It has a Tablet mode, but the software is nowhere near as good as that of an Ipad or android Tablet. I only really use it as a tablet when I’m drawing or lying in bed watching a movie. Even then, it’s almost better to keep it in laptop mode without the keyboard attached.

Even in laptop mode its os is pretty behind but that’s just what happens when 1 or 2 companies dominate the market

Rendering, coding, and simulation are not what home PCs are used for. If those things mattered, we’d all be using Amigas now.

I’m a writer, and I self publish mostly using an iPad. I pay like $75 for my covers (it’s cheap enough that I haven’t really investigated designing my own), but other than that I just export to ePub from Pages for iOS. For most people, real work is just data entry of some sort, and anything WYSIWYG is fine. Ergonomically, a full-sized keyboard is superior, but there’s no reason you can’t use one with a tablet. For me the turning point was when the mobile word processors started doing smart quotes and em dashes.

Heck, I moved my parents over to tablets about a year ago, and it’s better for them. They need a computer for internet, doing their taxes, and keeping a budget, and tablets can do all of that. It’s cut way down on how often I need to help them, and they each got an iPad for less than they would have paid for a new PC, monitor, etc.

Apple’s current mobile processors are comparable to those in entry-level PCs, and are way beyond my 2007 PC. While Apple isn’t the largest mobile OS vendor, last year Apple sold about 230 million iPhones and iPads. For comparison, there were about 260 million PCs shipped worldwide last year. When you take into acount that PC sales have been dropping steadily for 6 years, and that the number of smartphones and tablets sold each year is over a billion, it’s clear that PCs are turning into a niche platform.

Workstation PCs will stick around, servers will stick around, and hobbyist boxes will stick around, but the stuff most people bought PCs for in the old days can be done on mobile now. PCs are being phased out, the way that BASIC was phased out, tape drives were phased out, floppies were phased out, modems were phased out, Ethernet was phased out, parallel ports were phased out, optical drives were phased out, CRTs were phased out, DOS was phased out, etc. It’s probably going to take 10 years, but computers are taking a more convenient (and cheaper) form factor.

The “real work” argument is basically what the DOS guys said about GUIs 30 years ago.

2 Likes

all of those were phased out because a more powerful alternative took their place. phones and other portable devices can never top PCs’ performance because of how thin and small they are supposed to be compared to a PC.
even if we discover an alien matter than significantly cools down our hardware or better technology to make smaller but more powerful hardware, PCs are always going to push that limit with even more powerful stuff at the cost of being bigger and noisier.
though I agree that there are some everyday needs that can be done with tablets and phones, tablets can never outperform PCs.

It wasn’t just power that phased them out it was also this thing called size. Look at how phones were going before smartphones they were getting smaller each year. Now sometimes technology is able to keep up with strength requirments and getting smaller in example dvds vs vhs. Now the real kicker to phase out pc’s from the general public is when phones and tablets can; connect to a keyboard(check), kennect to a bigger screen(check), reach a basic computers hardware (pretty close), software being designed to be easy enough but powerful enough.

it was a smaller size while being able to outperform the older technology.
tablets can never reach pc’s power and the beauty of the computer world is that software is always ahead of hardware and is always thirsty for more power.
even if the general public only cares about browsing memes on the internet and using their computer as a calculator, PC’s won’t get “phased out”.

It will be phased out of the general public. Now there will always be a small market for PC’s but not a big one

The business market for PCs isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, and that’s a far bigger market (profit-wise) than the consumer market.

When people talk about the “post-PC era” they are either (1) trying to sell you something other than a PC or (2) talking about an era that’s still in the not-too-near future. To REALLY move beyond PCs, we need processing power that approaches desktop performance (getting close in some cases, like Apple’s latest SOCs, which are faster than many mobile CPUs) but more importantly, we need a method of input that’s as fast, easy, and reliable as a keyboard. We’re not even close to that yet.

2 Likes

We have Jarvis in his many forms. Also hologram projections are also possible.

Well we do have this going onimages

that’s a really bad example… lol. that’s just a virtual keyboard.

Voice commands is the future. coupled together with hologram input / output.

at the moment it’s only used to turn lights on and off, music. tell the weather… etc… but there’s no reason why it couldn’t be a fully functional U.I.

Example of hologram technology in the video below. Coupled with Voice commands, oh the possiblities are only a matter of which creative genius gets to it first.

It is a bad example except it is the precurser to holgram technology

I guess… kinda… it uses lights and proximity sensors… but anyway. i was being sarcastic by saying Jarvis and hologram tech… because it really is very, very, very future tech… it’s extrememly infancy stage of this kind of tech even being developed far enough to be used together and incorporated into a working U.I.

still, it’s possible. lol.

edit: I’m reminded of a Cryotech company that can freeze your entire body and de-frost it at sometime in the future… for some ridiculous amount of money… It’s just news i remember, don’t quote me on that -.-

1 Like

Quantam computers were once thought of way future tech along with ar