Do you believe Vainglory would thrive if ported to PC?

Wrong emulation is neither the thing that is illegal and unethical is the downloading and distrubing room files but can easily be made from games you own which removes any of the unethicalties and legalities

Before nintendo even imagined the concept for “motionn sensor” controls, DREAMCAST from SEGA already had things like a virtual tennis rod and virtual fishing rod. way before nintendo.

Nothing quite beats the fun and thrill of swinging a virtual stick to hit a virtual tennis ball. LET ME SAY, I have ZERO interest in tennis… ZERO… why i found it so damn fun is beyond my understanding.

Same as that virtual fishing game where you use an actual rod to wind up and flick the rod to hook the fish, when it vibrates. AGAIN, why is it so damn fun?

I also owned a virtual GUN for shoot em ups. playing games like house of the dead 2. killing zombies with a “real gun” … complete with arcade style bullet recoil action.

All that on consoles. PC games with mouse and keyboard are just a whole different world and quite unfair to compare the two. PC games are usually very visually stunning and cinematics, with online multiplayer. I’ve had my fair share of PC gaming as well and have got addicted more times than i care to admitt.

I still prefer Consoles over PC. The family / friends fun value is just incomparable.

1 Like

You forget about the power glove from 1989 my good sir.

1 Like

No. Even if you own the game (and if you do, why emulate?) it’s still illegal to possess the ROM file. Here: https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

I also don’t know of anyone who buys Nintendo games and then downloads the ROM, do you?

Clearly is dealing with only downloaded copies and distribution not a copy aquired directly from the hard copy. Also I use to buy games to copy and emulate due to my cheapness of wanting only one mobile gaming platform and one stationary gaming platform(my PC) this was back in the psp, ps2 era

to answer your question. i own mario 64 and i downloaded the emulation.

To those who don’t know Mario 64 is the first game is history to score a perfect 100% rating from game critiques .

I completed the game fully. Getting all stars. I got the emulation just to compare if it lived up to my expectations. it did.

1 Like

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a “second copy” rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet

Also @SatanicSoldier, dumping a ROM is a very complex process that few people have the time for.

1 Like

Key phrase download from the internet not from your existing game.

Back when I did it it was a pretty simple process and from my reading it isn’t much harder. The hard part was getting the psp hacked with Pandora battery

1 Like

Which is illegal right? Haha this is getting convoluted.

Also to emulate a ROM you’ll need to bypass the DRM right? And that is a violation of DMCA.

Hacking is never illegal FYI it is cracking that is the two have been misunderstood as each other for years. Hacking is basically tinkering, which follows fair use laws, along with bypassing the drm. The case that finally cleared the water was on jailbreaking. It is the same as ripping a DVD, blue ray, or CD.

“The Digital Millennium Copyright Act dramatically tilted the copyright balance toward complete copyright protection at the expense of the Fair Use rights of the users of copyrighted material. The reintroduced legislation will assure that consumers who purchase digital media can enjoy a broad range of uses of the media for their own convenience in a way which does not infringe the copyright of the work.”

1 Like

Emulation isn’t illegal, otherwise you’d bet Nintendo would’ve shut down emulators already. What is illegal is to play a ROM that wasn’t ripped directly from your DVD/cartridge.
Emulators are in that grey area where they aren’t illegal per se, but are mostly used in an illegal context.

It’s not illegal, you have the right to do anything you want with hardware you own. However Nintendo/whatever company may ban you from their online system if you violated their consumer agreement. Note that they can’t brick your console, though.

You can get 60 FPS with about 500 dollars assuming you whore out sales and mail-in rebates.

And you don’t need two-thousand dollars to beat an Xbox 1 X. More like 1,400 or so.

And the PC you build for that much money will probably stretch farther than a single console generation nowadays if taking advantage of the newest technologies isn’t exactly high on your priorities list. You could go lower than 1,400 that by opting for used hardware, electing to run a TV as your display instead of a dedicated monitor, and axing the 1070 and substituting in a 1060 6GB card (which outperforms the Xbox X’s GPU) instead.

And here’s something that I’ve noticed that isn’t discussed very much–if at all–within the PC gaming community: gaming PCs are lasting longer than their ancient predecessors of the early 2000s and especially the infamous “I’m going to be obsolete within six months when that new Pentium 2 prebuilt PC releases lmao” granddaddy clunkers of the mid to late 1990s. You have guys like this running systems from 2010 that secure new leases on life by being outfitted with old decommissioned server hardware. If he were to pop in a new and moderately potent graphics card like, say, an RX 580 or GTX 1070, his PC would likely last him another 3 or 4 years.

Even a dude running a first generation i5 processor could run a 1080ti and practically poop all over the vast majority of gaming PCs out there.

A 10 year lifespan for a gaming rig was practically unheard of in 2008 and borderline science fiction in 1998.

You could probably throw together a mid to high range system right now and sit on it well into the next generation of consoles (and still outperform them if you just save monthly for your next major upgrade).

OT: Vainglory is an above-average title for mobile because the mobile gaming scene is littered with thousands of half-baked “let’s get rich fast” trash.

But in reality, Vainglory doesn’t do anything differently that League, HotS, Smite, Strife, or DotA 2 haven’t already done. It’s not unique, it’s not fresh, and it’s tainted with a P2W talent system. The tolerance for P2W micro-transactions within the console and PC gaming communities is practically 0, respectively. Just look at what happened with EA’s Battlefronts 1 and 2.

And honestly, there are just funner and better designed PC games out there than VG. Why play Vainglory when you can go mess about in Smite or something?

I even checked on a few subs that principally deal with PCs and PC gaming in perticular to see if anyone expressed any sort of interest for VG to come PC and here were the results:

Dead silence.

The League sub had a few posts dealing with VG but it was mostly Exscoundrel (or whatever his name was) advertising himself or a sparse collection of VG players looking to either replace VG with League or they were looking to expand beyond the mobile platform to grab their MOBA fix.

5 Likes

Nothing about emulation is illegal, fyi (at least in the US). It’s using copyrighted ROM images or pirated versions of game code that’s illegal (again, in the US as well as in most of the rest of the world).

1 Like

Not exactly, no. VG does have keyboard controls, and they’re not exactly the best (or maybe I’m just used to the LoL ones). Either way, vainglory has a much better chance of being successful as it is, with little in the way of competition. However, I wouldn’t mind seeing Vainglory on the Microsoft store either way, as the amount of Hybrid laptops these days is so high, and any touch device provides all that vainglory needs.

I have a Microsoft surface pro 4, and if I could play vainglory on this thing, I would love it. (and yes I know about Bluestacks but it’s clunky and not well optimised.)

2 Likes

perfect example and possible partnership with microsoft? i heard they’re struggling to sell the hybrid laptops. I’ve also considered getting a surface pro for myself, as i love the idea of having a laptop that is also a tablet…

i heard there’s not much software support for it?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s perfectly legal for you to have an emulator sitting on your desktop. My point is everyone who has an emulator actually uses it.

I stand corrected, thank you.

I doubt the Xbox is going anywhere soon, we’ll probably not see the next console (unless it’s a slim version or something) until 2020. Because you have to keep upgrading your PC, it’s cheaper in the long run, yes?

(Also really sorry about detailing the thread :/)

At the current rate xbox onex successor will be around 2019 with sony lagging behind at least half a year. While xbox releases earlier it is always outclassed by sony in raw preformance during the first iteration

Lmao, what is that supposed to mean? You do realize that there are actual legal uses for emulators, right? And that if you have a license for a particular piece of software that most of the time it’s quite legal to run under emulation?