Why Are Updates (mostly) Always Late?

We’re offficially one hour past the advertised release date and time for 4.4 and the summer season’s release. This has happened, to my recollection, EVERY patch since at least 4.0. What is the cause for this?

I don’t want flaming/toxic responses just ridiculing the company. I’m curious if we have any folks in here with experience with graphic design, programming, or folks who have had involvement, both directly and indirectly, with SEMC (cough @Nivmett cough @HipsterSkaarf ) as to why this has been happening?

This seems like a VERY small patch. The most complex thing seems to be the friend list migration? But I am quite naive when it comes to video game programming and coding, so I could be dead wrong.

What are folks thoughts? What’s the deal? It’s quite frustrating.

Short answer, I don’t know. :rbgwen:

Slightly longer answer, I think some of the delay is often on Apple’s side. It can take a few hours or more after the update has been released for it to actually show up in the App Store. But in this case, it doesn’t look like it’s out for Android yet either (just going by comments in the discord server), so I’m not sure. There might be an issue of coordinating deployment between the platforms?

Every android update is delayed from 8 months and more. It’s not related to apple.

1 Like

It could still be related to Apple, if SEMC is trying to synchronize deployment on Android with Apple’s (delayed) deployment.

Could also be minions breaking things. :minions_happy_t3: None of us know, basically.

Why other games that I have on both my android and ios devices does not suffer from the same problem? I mean… :slight_smile:

Can you please make a longer comment? I don’t want a back-and-forth of “here’s what it might be” “it’s not that” “I said maybe” “I’ve seen other examples that aren’t that” etc etc etc

If you have an example to give, like what the other apps are, whether they deploy at the same time, what you think the constraints might be, please post that instead of a quick response that doesn’t say much.

This seems like a reasonable explanation. With their new main main, Mr. Excoundrel, perhaps an ambassador or enough folks can press them to offer an explanation of the delays? It would go a long way within the community.

Whether it’s a last-second bug that comes up, or simple synchronization of platforms, it’d be great to know why another dleay has happened.

Seriously? Ok, serious, let’s talk about SEMC - every time the ios version comes after the android version on my iphone 6s and yes - even when the game is delayed. So it’s not your potential reason for sure.

From there I can give educated guesses for previous delays based on the info they provided and the situation, but realistically only someone inside in SEMC or close to employee there who decides to talk, can know the real reason why they delay every update, even with days (4.3 and basically 4.4 with the added end of season days) , even when the update is kinda small.

No need for “negative” attitude just because I expressed my opinion based on my experience and the fact I own a daily driver from both OS (note 9 and iphone 6s) + my company release an app to both android and ios, I am pretty familiar with the process and difficulties in that.

The only reasoning to delay the update because of ios is not apple, but the ios build of the game itself and this is something that is on them too.

Hope that this is better answer than my previous short one. :thumbs:

2 Likes

I feel like this is better evidence for my point than it is yours, and I actually mentioned it in my first post even. It seems like part of Apple’s update process introduces delays in, at least, app verification, if not also the actual coding.

C’mon, be serious. I feel like I’m pulling teeth sometimes around here. Your comments are a) taking the least charitable interpretation of what I’m saying, and were b) short, without any attempt to say why you think what you think. Maybe I’m expecting too much, but yeah I get angry when I have to prod posts full of formal logic fallacies and get people to actually give their reasons for something.

1 Like

Well, back in the day the servers used to go down, the devs would stream the new update and it would be a process that would take hours (sometimes even 12h!) and then towards the end they would tell us that x% of the players is already able to download the new update while others could end up waiting more hours just to play it. Coming close to 5v5 iirc they stopped doing dev streams and we started to get these ‘instant’ install and play the new update but there was always some delay. It is still better than the massive amount of hours streams tho as back then we couldn’t even play the game, just wait.

It’s not the verification as when the update is delayed with X amount of time:

1. it shows in android play store (delayed)
  2. it DOES NOT show in apple’s app store for some time (the normal ios vs android delay is that one)
  3. later it shows also in the app store

I explained that and pretty clear, I feel.

All that has nothing to do with the days or hours or hours after days of delays. I can guarantee you that one. Both because we develop android/ios app that is used by millions at the same time and I know the process + I am sys admin, i.e. capable of basic understanding on the matter (programmed in the past too). I don’t feel I need to explain every sentence I say like I am in front of a court and surely did put more effort and logic that the topic deserves.

They can delay the android rollout if there are problems with the ios app, just to not let people on ios out of luck trying to play the game (as after the switch they could not do thst if still on 4.3). I am 90% sure that the problems are mostly server side, especially with how they handled the API situation and recently the friends database migration.

All that said, only people working for or close to SEMC could know for sure. I can be wrong as we all can. What we all can agree on tho is that every recent update is delayed and by a lot, while back in the days when they had live streams it was + 1-2 hours delays, but far from always and with quite a lot bigger updates rollouts (more to go wrong).

I don’t feel like continuing this one and it’s pointless, no matter the reason, the delays are here and we have to deal with them. I am just salty that this wonderful games came to this state, sorry if I sound harsh - my frustration is surely not towards this great forum or it’s super cool members.

1 Like

The delays actually didn’t happen always and we got few instant updates without problems and on time. They had server side issues back then, I feel now is the same. Sadly back then we got a dev stream, live updates on the rollout, dev talks, games, showcases and whatnot. Miss the dev streams… :frowning:

I think the main issue here is that they never fixed some of their ageing problems and people either grew tired of it or are not used to this type of issues (newer players coming from different games). Either way it is a bad thing and the reasoning will always be unknown until (maybe) one day one of the devs responsible on anything at those levels would explain to us. Yes I do get it there might be issues serverwise that just show up on the moment but with the history of SEMC it kinda gets repetitive.

Thanks, that’s a lot more helpful. Your posts don’t have to be novels, but a little background and reasoning for your points goes a long way. :cheers_boba_t2:

1 Like

The delay that it takes an app to appear in the App Store isn’t the issue. It’s the missed deadlines set by the company. iOS users are used to expecting delays of anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours after an announcement due to the review process set forth by Apple. There’s not really any reason to “synchronize” the deployment process between the two platforms with regards to having them both show up at the same time; once you’ve finished testing and building for both platforms, you deploy. Anything after that is the responsibility of the maintainers of the distribution platforms.

2 Likes

The time savings on our end were just a natural consequence of not performing migrations the day of release. Missing the deadline set forth is some combination of delays inherent in software engineering and internal priorities being elsewhere, but given the news of a new game and the dearth of content as of late, it’s probably the latter.