This forum software

Thats definitely something I will aim to tidy up where I can. That said - mostly the badges are supposed to automatically reward good forum behaviour - if you make it very clear how to game them, then people will game them rather than earn them if that makes sense.

I have to agree with this.

95% of the time that I have found something unintiutive in discourse it has turned out to be because its actually set up to be intuitive but my 20 years of modding forums has taught me a lot of unintuitive ways to kludge my way through doing things in forums that I imagine it is harder than it actually is.

For example - moving threads to new categories. I couldn’t find an option in the side bar (as I was used to from xenoforo) to move a thread to a new category only to move it to join an existing topic - so I was making a new topic, and then merging it - very very clunky. Turns out it just uses the same category drop down that you use when you make a new thread - change that and it changes the thread location. Thats really intuitive and obvious - unless you have bad habits from other forums…

So you don’t want people to go through the tutorials??? :thinking:

Also, do this. Adjust the header to it’s less suffocating. White space is actually so undervalued…

Not sure what you can alter in the CSS, but there’s room for A LOT of improvement, aesthetically if nothing else

2 Likes

Also also, the font is too thing and “wispy”. We dumped those. Consider increasing the weight and reducing the size a bit. If anyone has bad eyes, that’s why browsers have built in accessibility features to increase things like font size.

By default tho, they can be much smaller (about the same size and weight as the reply box is what you should be aiming for to be consistent with the net standards).

The first tutorial was through a welcome message from @ForumBotMatch in your mailbox. I thought it was kind of hard to miss?

I have similar thoughts on these issues, but the theme is still under active development. Just waiting til it’s more finalized before we start making tweaks.

To amplify HipsterSkaarf’s reply: the base theme won’t be changing much, if at all. However, we’re planning on adding optional themes that users can set as their default, and THOSE will reflect aspects of the feedback we’ve received so far.

I will say that the overall feedback on the look of the site is highly positive. There are a vocal few who disagree, but that’s the nature of any decent-sized community. And thus, the plan for options regarding setting your own theme.

20 years of modding… Dude…

Yeah when I started to count it up I ulped a little.

Tbf there was a good 6 or 7 years in there where the only thing I modded were the discussion forums for the classes I taught which is a very different kettle of fish.

Before that I was head moderator for a property investment forum back in New Zealand - we had around 45000 active users - so it was a very different ball game as well. Especially because given that there is actual money at stake you get serious legal threats (some of the crooked characters in the industry did not like their dodgy practices being honestly discussed) and likewise those same characters would try and run scams on the forums - ie inventing sock puppets to like their own posts, provide “honest testimonals” etc. I left when the forum owners decided that they had had enough and sold the forum to one of the more dodgy operators for an undisclosed sum of cash and the assurance that nothing would change.

Hence why I was a bit reluctant to step up when I was approached about being a forum moderator for VG - I know pretty well just how much work it can be.

2 Likes

Honestly, the theme is great. The only disagreement I ever had was the clutter on the front page in mobile view which makes it hard to recognize categorys.

1 Like

Any way the bold font can actually look like it’s bold?

Can we get links to open in a new tab? Please? Thanks :kissing_heart:

prefs

It’s in your preferences … just check the box

I think we can set that to that by default shall we?

HOLY CRAP. THAT’S REALLY GOOD.
this.
this please. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Also, is there any way for the timeline scroll thingy to be more “pronounced” ? It doesn’t pop as much as I think it should be because of the background. (And idk if I’ve said this already, but this new forum software is really, really good.)

2 Likes

Mission accomplished! (Links will now open in a new tab by default …)

2 Likes

The backgrounds will eventually most likely probably maybe should be a bit more subdued. Soon.™ Ish. :gwenrainbowbarf:

5 Likes

I had to read this about 4 times. :triumph:

2 Likes

Clear as day to me (lmaoooo) :thinking:

1 Like