The absence of lore just sank in

It’s not a direct comparison of the two to each other…it’s more that Overwatch is gorgeous and vibrant compared to its peers the way vg is, and vg’s lore is immersive like overwatch’s is, not to mention the aesthetics of the controls. I just find vg to be like overwatch except a moba and mobile in many aspects, but, and I hate to say it, but vg feels like overwatch if they screwed up somewhere and stopped trying. Like it literally feels like watching someone you look up to fall into a cycle of weakness and dependency, with the way talents took everything over and so much of what made the gane a growing, living thing is now tossed to the wayside.

Then again the comparison is even more opt because overwatch and trying to go big league premiering their tournaments on popular television doesn’t feel like a smart investment…but hey

3 Likes

Oh ok, yea I can see that comparison. The funny thing I see with the esport scene of the two, vg pushed it at the start when they were still making their name and it didn’t get better, but overwatch is established and it’s esports scene is quite big from what I see going on about it and will only flourish more for a good time probably.

1 Like

It’s interesting that you compare VG with OW – I often compare and contrast the two games as well, and for the same reasons. I agree with your perspective, as well.

Regarding the Overwatch League, though: it’s been immensely successful in its first season, far exceeding expectations. They’re expanding for next season, adding at least 2-3 teams – for a fee estimated at $30-40 million each :celeste:

1 Like

I know, I hear where they’re taking it, and it might be popular now, but I still think it’s a bubble long run, or more precisely, boom now, bust not too long in the future from now, and somewhere down the line someone else tries putting game tournaments on popular networks (if tv even exists the same way) and it works then because the culture around games has changed. I think they’ll end up falling into the same trap as vg: once they invest in it they’ll end up reaching a point where if viewership or roi decreases they’ll be obligated to inorganically hyping it up, especially it being on major networks. The overwatch league is fine but imagine a modern warfare or halo league on a major network at the peak of their popularity. The reason you don’t invest in making esports a big spectacle for big screns, at least in america, is because game popularity doesn’t last with the gamer audience the same way it does in other cultures around the world. Other cultures around the world immerse themselves in videogames culturally in a way america does not. About the only game that american culture has immersed itself in the way other countries treat games is pokemon and I doubt people would watch pokemon tournaments on major networks in america. I think most of the viewership for the overwatch league tournaments is going to be in other countries, so i’m all for the league, but broadcasting on a major american tv network i think is a waste of money and time in this stage of american culture’s relationship with games.

Not to mention how many years they’ll be able to do so and keep it interesting. When football gets boring you get scandals and stories about players lives or the teams etc. etc. to build a world. The much less numerous hardcore footballers watch for the strats and stuff. Unless overwatch is planning to drop a movie which is tied into a massive shift into the game scenery and heroes, when watching heroes kill each other on diff maps gets boring, you’re just gonna not watch them do it anymore, not root for a different hero, and there’s not enough relatability to heroes to make you seriously care about the drama of the lore while watching them just shoot each other randomly for no reason unless you see them doing it in a… scripted movie or animated cartoon. Which is a much more reasonable way to put overwatch on screens. There’s a reason why they made modern warfare single player like a movie, and if we’re being honest, those single player immersive levels were what made the games popular in the first place, and the multiplayer is what kept it popular with gamers and casuals, but modenwarfare and halo would have been bunk if we had all just played & watched the multiplayer.

1 Like

Let’s be happy. They will soon integrate a browser into the game so we can read all lores in game and be reminded that nothing worth reading will ever be added now that Sugarvenom is no longer writing for us…

Happy… I said…

2 Likes

I couldn’t find the topic where the title was called Yates (Lore) so ill post here since the topics were similar…

So a person questioned SV on reddit.
Got many responses including SV’s response.

Apparently she tried to put some of the lore into his voiceline, and she isnt allowed to talk about the newer heros.

I don’t understand why she isn’t allowed but at least shes trying.

Shes such a little trooper One tear/proud emoji

Why can I see PlayoffBeard screeching “NO LOREEEEE” from the EA building

3 Likes

Well, at least we got Elks now. Moose not yet announced, but probably being worked on in secret.

1 Like

Without SugarVenom, I had to use reddit.

Apparently Anka is a gythian stripper who has a grudge against the government so she became an assassin to kill officials.

2 Likes

Sounds very similar to a movie plot that the hunger games lady is in hmmmmmmmmm

FTFY :new_call_me:

10/10 IGN, amazing lore right there xdddddd

Is there canon stuff on reddit, or just fan lore?

Fan lore.

abababababababababa

Oh, that’s disappointing. I had my hopes up… Imo no matter how amazing fan lore is it just can’t be better than canon.

You called ???

1 Like