Stormcrown and junglers

While playing as a roam in my different accounts I noticed some people don’t buy banner early and the others buy it early , they probably play koshka , grumpjaw , San feng , or even reim and buy stormcrown after the banner first item , I know it’s probably one of the recommended build , but from talking to some of them after adding them they said what do we do with the banner then ?!

I think it’s probably a tough thing for them to start build something and not finishing building it , it actually does make sense if you start with something you finish it , I think I’ll stop blaming them and blame semc for this .

Banner gives you better clear speed than any starting damage items combinations, its faster than double wp blades, double crystal bits and wp blade + swift shooter. Junglers should always start with banner not only for the clear speed but the ability to secure camps should you be invading or invaded.

Agree 100% , but sell the banner later and buy your damage path , my point is they start with the banner and that’s correct then they build it on to a stormcrown and that’s wrong , they are good players and playing the hero good but they don’t know how important to build your first real damage item instead of stormcrown .

Storm crown is good on some heroes, even necessary on a hero like Fortress.

2 Likes

What makes :vgitem_stormcrown: better on some heroes than on others?

You shouldn’t build stormcrown on damage junglers like koshka or reza, its good on utility junglers cause cooldown reduction + some hp and you need it to clear the jungle it since you have no damage items and a banner isn’t enough. That aside its a great item, the last hitting potential is just too powerful you can steal any objective with it.

3 Likes

I think this also depends on what you’re prioritizing; objectives or hero kills. There’s no doubt that :vgitem_stormcrown: is awesome for capturing the dragons and it’s especially useful for last-hitting them. If you want more damage to heroes and focus in team fights, I’d recommend selling the banner after you’ve built a few items.

I do think Reim is an example of a hero who doesn’t need it at all. His A clears very quickly even with just two crystal bits.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen maxman’s stream when he was being trolled as a jungler , a guy in his team bought stormcrown and stole his farm while he got the banner , for sure with stormcrown you can steal any farm and secure objective but still you can secure them if your enemy dead and that happens when you buy damage , so I agree for heroes like fortress or cp glaive to buy stormcrown but Iam not sure if it should be first item ? .

If you’re not rushing Stormcrown, you had better be selling Stormguard Banner later on. You will get less utility out of Stormcrown the longer you take to buy it.

Also, using Stormcrown to steal camps is far more effective than trying to kill the enemy first. If you’re weak in the early game, Stormcrown will give you the freedom to make the steal and get out as opposed to being forced to commit to a fight. I think you’re underestimating the value of Stormcrown by quite a bit.

In one of the patches tension bow was popular and someone asked nivmett about the most overrated item he said tension bow , I feel the same for stormcrown , good item for a goal can be reached with different builds especially talking about the heroes who can deal damage not tanks .

You should build stormcrown first on fortress cause his clear is just horrendous, for other utility junglers like tony and san feng you start with a banner get some items and in the mid game complete the stormcrown.

1 Like

Reasons to build SGB into Stormcrown:

1. You’re playing a CP hero with no CP on their basic attacks and longish cooldowns between abilities.
  2. Your abilities have good base damage but scaling is not great.
  3. You are utility-focused and need the cooldown and health.
  4. You can’t win a direct matchup with the enemy jungler, so you need to focus on stealing farm.
  5. You got your butt handed to you early and the enemy is stealing your farm.
  6. You kicked the enemy jungler’s butt early, and want to build on that by stealing their farm.
  7. You are playing a particularly fast hero, so your clearing is tied more to damage and less to travel time.

Certain heroes hit on several of those points, so it makes sense to always build SC with them. I play Inara a lot, and almost always build SC on her, particularly with her CP build. One more CP or WP item doesn’t really help her, her utility is more important than her damage, and most often she plays for a Victory Through Capitalism instead of directly confronting the enemy jungler.

On Koshka, it’s really more about how the match is going. If you are struggling to farm then it can help you come back, or if you get an early lead on the enemy team it can help you snowball.

Ylva will tend to need SC on her CP build (since her basic attacks are trash without it; Aftershock or Alternating Current can help, but SC is probably better against dragons), but her WP build will usually sell SGB at the first chance. With Ylva, I really just keep SC to help my CP build kill dragons.

2 Likes