Speculation on SEMC's next game

I cried at this for some reason.

2 Likes

Wow, it has been a long time since I played that game. I still remember being shocked when I saw Tubbs for the first time lol.

2 Likes

i woudl love a card game i have gotten good at them while taking a break from vainglory :heart_eyes_cat: when i first heard this announcement i thought it would be a tower defenceg ame like the monkey and balloon one because there were a whole heap of battles/wars that could be maps and count as ‘expanding the vainglory universe’

…since when does excoundrel work for semc…?

1 Like

They hired him recently I think as community manager

No, I don’t think they hired him at all. He said that he’s working “with” them, not working “for” them. My strong suspicion is that he’s taking on this sort of liaison role either for free or for next-to-nothing (as a contractor) because he knows that it’s needed — there’s no one left at SEMC whose job title includes communication, and left to themselves, SEMC will continue to make a mess of things.

2 Likes

I agree with you , but excoundrel is called community manager by many accounts in the Reddit threads and he didn’t answer with a correction to what they called him , so I think it’s weird if you not fixing people mistake it could mean you wish you are what people calling you or you are already in that position , basically could be him wondering what Is he doing with them or if he already promised to be in that position if he did good in a trial period .

Ok, yea he hasn’t actually said what he is, I just assumed he was hired and made community manager

Uhh, yeah… But… Like… That’s what they’ve been saying for more than a year and all they did instead was add talents, half baked charms, hats (dead now), kill player progression, break the game every 2 patches with Zekent and Sonata having 0 idea on what to do with their iconic “meta shakes”, ruining the UI, scamming their players, not paying their casters, fire their employees, abandon the API, bring broken p2w heroes and ofc adding more bugs than the ones they fix…

So, uh… Not trusting that for a second, even less with Excoundrel being the one having to say that for them.

1 Like

I understand that but you’re wrong when you say

They’ve said that they’ve been working on cross platform for the year. Not once have they said that they were primarily focusing on bug fixing

1 Like

I think they did when they took a break from updates they said they going to fix bugs but I don’t remember they fixed any bugs or important bugs , well I understand that they buy time if they say we fixing bugs.

1 Like

Well bye SEMC then, cause she was the one I cared about.

There is no way he is doing it for free, and I seem to remember saying he was hired. Certainly not a full time job, but someone with a family to take care of is not going to help out a company for no pay.

:woman_shrugging: Kind of impossible to say, and I guess it depends on what he’s actually doing with SEMC? If it’s just putting out a couple announcements every few weeks, then it’s possible he’s doing it for free. If it’s more, internally, then maybe he’s getting some kind of contractor rate. We can only speculate.

So, to that end… He’s a freelance esports caster, who makes his money through gig opportunities, part of which is maintaining good working relationships with various industry folks making games that he can then cast for. My bet is that he’s more interested in SEMC’s next project than he is in being a community/company liaison for Vainglory (and there’s nothing wrong with that; and if he can help in that regard, why not? win win). If SEMC’s next thing has an esports component, he’s probably first in line for casting/influencing opportunities. It’s less like free work and more like a professional investment. He’s done a lot of hard work on branding himself, and he knows the right people at SEMC, so it would make a lot of sense for him to put his brand (himself) in between a willing community of gamers looking for a game, and a company working on selling them one soon. He might even be helping develop their next project, who knows?

3 Likes

Those are good points, all I meant is it’s unlikely hes doing it as some kind of charity to save the game for no compensation. I forget where this comes from, but I remember him saying something like “SEMC showed me something that made me wan’t to get back into the game”. Which is rather curios.

now I know supercell working on auto chess game , that’s can tell something about semc new game , but supercell going to control the mobile market so gg semc just focus on vainglory .

I don’t understand the appeal of auto chess games, myself. I tried DotA Underlords and was underwhelmed. That means that SEMC is surely working on Vainglory Underlords :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Not like it’s a new idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hkfh6eDGOM - this exact version I did play back in the days when I rocked 286 PC. :slight_smile:
There are versions for other platforms that looks a lot better + successors, but generally it’s from 1983 :smiley:

1 Like

Agree 100%. They just don’t appeal to me. What’s with all the craze for them!?

At least for me, the appeal is something new in the turn based genre.

It brings a lot of unique strategy and decision making that you really can’t get anywhere else outside of maybe Magic the Gathering drafts.

It’s also just such a clean format that cuts out the waiting for your opponent that you’re used to if you play CCGs. I think a lot of the appeal comes from the sense of growth over the game, and how much your choices can impact what happens very similar to MOBA. Specifically DOTA Underlords has a truly astounding skill cap, and each game plays really differently.