Say Hello to Aibreán

The 3D print idea is an intriguing one!

Her sword is indeed intended to resemble a claíomh mór, though it’s shorter than most claymores would have been in reality. The backstory on her sword is that it’s from medieval Ireland and is supposed to date from the 12th century, so it would probably fall into the Oakeshott Type XII category. Unlike historical swords from that region and era, Abbey’s blade is made from Damascus steel. (I need to re-do the texture on the model, though, because it looks more like it was made from billet-welded steel than wootz steel, as true Damascus steel weapons were.)

I am very big into Claymores myself.
They were very thin two-handed swords.

Someone proficient with it could fight at almost the same pace as a one handed sword wielder. But with a much wider reach.

I love that fightstyle so much, I studied English for 3 years and saw original blades from the 13th century as well.

It takes great Skill to wield such a blade because your offense is your defense.

A traditional Zweihander was a thick heavy blade used more as a hammer than a sword. Meant to hammer through someones armour…

1 Like