The recent release of 4.2 balance changes, of which you can talk about here, and some of our (including myself) commentary on it, in addition to the removal of Rumble and re-enstatement of ARAL, of which you can discuss here, got me feeling a little down and out about Vainglory.
I decided to research other mobile MOBA games. As I was browsing last night, I ended up looking at and reading dozens of reviews of dozens (didn’t know there were so many) currently active mobile MOBA apps on the Google PlayStore. By the time I was finished, I was relieved. While my frustrations with Vainglory remain, so does my confidence that this is the mobile MOBA for me and the mobile MOBA that should be for others who desire a competitive MOBA experience on the go.
Often, I feel we can get trapped in a bubble. Perhaps many of you, like me, just stick with Vainglory. Perhaps we can think that only Vainglory and SEMC has the problems we associate with it. Well, here’s what I found:
- Several complaints for all MOBAs regarding MM - be it queue time, poor quality of teammates/play, etc
- Server/latency/lag complaints. Again, present in every app
- Toxicity, toxicity, toxicity. I read a reviews in every app regarding this type of behavior. Some apps have it worse as there is no banning/LPQ structure in place at all!
- Skin effects that provide an advantage
- Poor progression system
- Slow pace pf play (actual movements of heroes, abilities, map animations etc… which is funny, since many of them have such short game modes and timers that run out and thus conclude the match)
You know what elese I found interesting, was that for the most part in Google Play, Vainglory had more favorable reviews to these apps.
My major point however, is don’t a lot of those sound VERY familiar? Vainglory is not the only MOBA struggling with some of our often bemoaned issues. Others are too, and in many cases, are struggling far worse. In fact, it makes me want to give VG props that other MOBAs have these shared issues, yet NONE of them are trying to go cross-platform like VG is (which is a difficult task).
While this doesn’t erase or solve the many problems we face in VG, I do hope it can bring about a little more positivity for those who feel at the end of their rope with a game that is still, overall, a fun game that allows for skillful mechanical gameplay.
Mucho love to you all.