Ok here's the thread to name out all problems which hold Vainglory back to become the best mobile MOBA

Tell that to DOTA devs (who I heard from my friend who has spent hundreds of hours into that game).

Hundreds…

I have spent 3.5 THOUSAND hours on Vainglory. Your average PBE tester is more than that. He is in charge of all the PBE testing, so we can assume 5 THOUSAND or so.

2 Likes

It’s very easy to sit back and say balancing is trash, actually balancing all 38 heroes so that all of them are viable either as counter picks or just viable in general and none are overly OP is very difficult, in fact borderline impossible. I think Nivmett has done a fantastic job so far, except for little things like WP varya, 2.9 Reim, etc that have slipped through the cracks over the years, VG is more balanced than any mobile moba out there. You should know how difficult it is to balance, weren’t you the guy who made all those balance threads on the old forums?
Also LoL and DotA are on a whole other scale, they have many devs who deal with balancing so it isn’t fair to compare them to vg’s.

2 Likes

Yeah? So tell me why Alpha is still OP, Joule, Petal have got the least number of plays so far, SAW still dominates the noobs but not the pros, Vox is infinitely META, etc., please just hire a balancing team from other game. Not me of course.

Tell me how to balance a hero that the creative team tells you is going to have two lives, WP Joule is a fun ass pick I don’t know about you, and Petal is not underpowered in any way and is used mostly as a counter pick. You can’t argue balance with pick rate

Also Vox is meta right now, and forever, but he definitely not OP and has his fair share of counters

2 Likes

Yes it has something with pick rate. People don’t pick a certain hero because that hero is too hard to play or something else that doesn’t appeal the players. In that case, balancing needs to be made but not in the way you’d normally think. It’ll be a rework and Vainglory desperately needs that.

We are not saying that it’s easy, or that there are not reasons for why things are done… We are pointing out that the game, in comparison to other MOBAs and other similar games, seems to be severely out of balance. It takes more than 1 person to balance a PvP game and it takes Intellectual Property: statistics, algorithms, analysis, strategy, a plan, etc… As well as, dare I say a bit of ‘art’.

1 Like

Ok start with cutting 2nd life to 50% hp reduce the time for rising from the dead and increase time until next revive can happen

@LamDumbasspro There are quite a few heroes with low pick rates and high win rates that suggest they are often counter picks. That has nothing to do with balance.

@REVIT Although I agree with everything else you suggested, Nivmett is doing better than every other mobile MOBA. Now, PC MOBAs have better balance but they have entire teams of people on it. They are able to because they make more money than a free-to-play mobile MOBA that just got 5v5. It is more than one person - I would agree that Nivmett could benefit with some more help but to suggest that he isn’t a “real” balancing team is insulting.

@Satanicsoldier A reboot time nerf leads to more CP Alphas. Although longer reboot timers could help, it wouldn’t take away the OP’ness while timers are up. My suggestion would be to lower base attack speed, increase the cooldown of her A, and very SLIGHTLY decrease ult damage

That is why when you extend it you take in account of at least using clockwork or Aftershock(oh god don’t ever take items in account for balancing a hero right?), but at the same time reduce her revive to 1.5s but Nerf it to be at half health

I would love to say this is correct but pc moba’s are based off of mods the mods themselves we’re free, and balanced. The two biggest out are Lol based off DotA and Dota2 based off DotA both of these games had a head start with balancing all done freely.

1 Like

Having only 2 guys in the balancing team and you have already seen the result.

You know how to nerf alpha?
Nerf Aftershock and Tankiness

Boom. Balanced hero that STILL DOES HER JOB (points finger JK).

1 Like

Well first of all not all heroes will have the same pick rate. Alpha is a little bit up. But nevertheless fine. Joule is fine af what are you saying? Amd petal…dunno bout her but alittle buff will surely do.
And its kinda insulting when you say nivmett did a bad job, even though he probably poured all his time on playing and testing every hero while making sure every hero is not left out.

Oh are you sure about that? I’m pretty sure that he hasn’t sunk hundreds of hours into 1 single hero. You can clearly see that the balance of the game is still shit compared to games such as DOTA. And really if he did the balancing to perfection, every hero’d have the same win rate and pick rate. Just stop.

Means having the fifth highest win rate and 2nd highest pick rate? Ok…

Lol can we pls stop comparing huge companies like riot and valve. When will you realise SEMC is a small company. Meaning less people will most likely try to balance the game. Niv and his team is pretty much doing a decent job on balancing. Its not perfect but it is decent. And youre being rude on saying he doesnt work hard to balance. Yes. He said they try to bring out non meta heroes ito the meta and lower down the meta heroe. So what? As long as there no hero left out its already great. And making each hero have a same pick rate is hard. It depends on the playerbase.look at lorelai shes pretty decent captain yet she’s underrated. Your comments are always rude.

3 Likes

Ok I won’t have you ever played DotA allstars it is balanced? And all balancing is done by unpaid developers

1 Like

Just stop.

The highest win rate hero is Fortress with 56.9% and the lowest win rate is Lance with 42.9%. See vgpro.com.

Dota 2 highest win rate hero is Zeus with 57.11% and lowest is Io with 39.19%.

LoL highest is Rek’Sai at 58.62% and lowest is Galio at 44.24%.
http://champion.gg/statistics/#?sortBy=general.winPercent&order=descend

The game is exceptionally well balanced. Nivmett probably only gets the first two weeks of data to balance off.

Also, the bottom 3 are BF, Skye, and Lance. These are all high skill cap heroes who can 1v1 on a larger map. They will naturally have a lower win rate even when well balanced. Having them start a new game mode as not OP is smart.

5 Likes

Winrates don’t really show balance especially since a proper hero balance is one taking items in account too. Now win rates per skill tier would show a better representation but still has skewed results based on hero’s that aren’t played as much as a couple wins or loses can dramatically sway it

Edit: fixed a typo

1 Like

Yep priority pick up right now at the very top tier of EA and SEA play.

His problem is that to really come on line he requires great positioning, timing and game sense.