I'll Be Disabling Chat

I wonder how others feel about this. I have tried to be patient and provide constructive criticism or words of encouragement in match. Toxicity is really bad in this game and the chat has made it worse. IMO, MOBA did not use to be like this. I will only enable chat if I’m in party play with 2 or more friends, otherwise, I feel I’ll remain more engaged and optimistic without it. What are others thoughts on the chat and how it impacts your experience?

1 Like

Generally, I agree with you. Text chat adds nothing to the game but toxicity 99% of the time. Only rarely do I ever see anything positive or even neutral in the text chat.

Tbh, I forgot you could turn it off. I’m going to do so as well.

2 Likes

Welcome to online gaming 3033303

When I think about it, I also super rarely see something possitive in the chat. It’s mostly insults, flame, arguing, calling names, etc.

It’s not just gaming, though. It’s everywhere online. (Have you ever read Twitter? Twitch chat? Reddit? Ugh, too many examples to count.) Civil discourse seems to have disappeared, and that’s a tragedy.

2 Likes

Yup same. (almost) Everything I need to say I can say using pings. Anything I say in chat ends up being toxic, whether I meant it to be or not.

2 Likes

I hope this doesn’t qualify as a political post, what I’m about to say next, but it’s because people feel they’re behind a veil and that manners no longer matter because no one is able to associate the behavior with the person. This is especially true in gaming. My IGN, VeritasVT gives no indication as to who I am. I can act like a bigot, a drag queen, it doesn’t matter… You don’t know me… Ha ha! It becomes an even greater problem when young folk and teens then start to trick themselves into thinking this behavior is okay outside the gaming and online world.

This is why I firmly believe there should be far stricter age requirements on many online media and communication platforms, and greater enforcement by and employment of moderators and admins who understand the delicate fabric of ecommunication. Sorry. End rant.

2 Likes

I think chat is good even with the toxic people , toxic people won’t change what we look for is having good games by making decisions , I type in chat but I don’t know if my team reading them but I see them doing what I say , like avoiding fights , going to that direction or the opposite , and when I surrender I give my reasoning on why I surrender in chat , like the other day we had a bad comp and enemy was killing us left and right , there was a moment when enemy decided to throw like that moment if I was a carry or a jungler I would get an ace for my team , my team was running and dying , I surrendered and told them not winning that fight means we lost the game , we lost the game but they refused to surrender .

I find it funny sometimes with people say don’t give up and let’s fight to the end wasting our time with this 7+ minutes queue , like you fighting for that moment when enemy start throwing but you didn’t even take it to turn the tables but you still got hope to win , like what is wrong with this people .

Baron’s last line tho xd

This text will be blurred

1 Like

I classify in game chats, twitch and reddit as one single entity. Its the same people that flame in game chats that spam in twitch chats and witch hunt on reddit.

You can ping be careful or the caution ping. You can also ping stick together and then make the marker ping (silver triangular one) where you want to go.

I get your points and I’ve done all of it. And I often ignore chat, but it’s just awful at times. Name calling. Insulting, etc.

1 Like

I’ve personally had far more competitive team strategy with chat, even if the majority of chat is toxic.

For example, we were losing heavily through the mid game with more or less everyone in the game blaming someone or another, cursing, insults, the full package. Our bot lane said “let’s bush camp near enemy CP”, we did, caught out the enemy mid trying to take it, turned that into objectives which eventually won the game.

Another game our bot who was playing horribly and getting flamed was able to apologize and we were able to move forward as a team acknowledging he had a really bad game.

So while I’d say 60% of chat is useless toxicity, that 40% of strategy or just congratulations for our Anka getting a penta is more than worth weeping it on.

1 Like

I don’t thinks pings are enough , like in one of my games I told one of my teammates to stop fighting the enemy which can be done by the yellow danger ping , he kept doing it , I told him in the chat that the enemy is a full party you can’t beat them early unless our third on the same page , he stopped , he thinks it’s a soloq game where he can do what he wants without punishment .

Don’t know which server you’re in but i can only guess it’s american as i have found it difficult to even find people that speak the same language, let alone be able to understand you. MB at least has a translate. Pick up the pace VG.

I haven’t gotten to play much since this post, but my first three ranked 5v5 matches since disabling have all been victories. I’ve felt a lot happier and more calm playing them and have had more fun. I’m simply not worrying about what vulgarities, taunts, and demeaning insults are being thrown at me or others in chat. I even take the courtesy to let my team know in draft lobby that I’ll respond to pings. This has led to more constructive pinging in these 3 games and I find the team has been working together better.

1 Like