ARAL ... again

I mean it’s not like they can give any sunlight since they replaced the dial with the battle pass and conveniently didn’t bring it back with the removal of the pass

You’d think that would give them the opportunity to try other kinds of events … :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

When did this change???

Yesterday ~6:00pm east coast time. I finished a BR an ARAL, and went to play another, but ARAM was the option. :kraken_happy_t2:

So now they just change it whenever they feel like it? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: If I live to be 100, I will never understand the way this company works.

In my opinion, the best thing SEMC could do is this:

• Remove all permanent brawl modes
  • bring back 3v3 Casual
  • Have one rotating brawl mode each week

Basically there would be 5v5 and 3v3 ranked and casual as permanent modes, and a single brawl mode at a time as rotating modes. Whether they want to bring back Onslaught (I know lots of people hated it but I actually really liked it), and whether to include talents or not (I’d prefer not tbh) I’m not really bothered about.

As of I think 4.0 (might’ve been 4.1 they changed it) when you queue for blitz, the game lists it as a casual mode. There is still a score tho.

2 Likes

I think SEMC should make 5v5 casual with talents. It would be wacky with so many new ways to play due to every hero having 3 talents. Not great from f2p perspective but i believe it could be a smart bussiness decision. Leave ranked talentless. Talents are unique in this game and they should push it.

I don’t think it’s possible for me to disagree more.

Talents ruined BR ARAL and Blitz by making them P2W. Infecting the main game modes with them would end badly for SEMC.

I think even SEMC have finally realized that talents were a bad idea, as none of the new modes they’ve introduced since Onslaught (:face_vomiting:) have included them.

There’s a reason other MOBAs don’t have such poorly-implemented, impossible-to-balance features. :wink:

But look at Heartstone the game is not just p2w but pay to play. And is thriving. Sure it milks small playerbase percentage, but most other competitors who are more f2p friendly are doing slightly worse.

People like to win by money rather than skill. They can always say like he isnt better he just paid more. And of course trump nonspenders. Maybe im wrong.

CCGs like Hearthstone started with a P2W model: Magic, The Gathering can’t be played unless you buy the cards. That’s how the games work. Hearthstone innovated by starting with a free tier, but as you say, you can’t compete without buying more powerful cards.

That’s not how MOBAs work, though, and making VG P2W would destroy any credibility SEMC has remaining with pros and competitive players, who expect an even playing field.

That’s not to say it couldn’t happen – after all, a former EA EVP currently runs SEMC – but I think it would most likely accelerate the deterioration of the player base, which is something SEMC have been desperately trying to prevent.

I would like to add that there are talents in some other mobas such as HotS and I would like to say that Hots originated the idea of having the ability to alter hero abilities without making them broken.

Example is that (I think thats her name but) Lt Surge has the talent of when she full heals a ally up to the max, one of her talents allows her to overcharge a shield onto the fully healed ally.

Though their way of talents is a part of the actual game and isnt ptw since its a part of the game

1 Like

That’s a good point – it’s not to say that the ability to add buffs to your heroes doesn’t exist or can’t work. It clearly does in many games: you used the example of HotS, but there’s also Runes in League, the Arcana system in AoV, etc. Unlike in VG, though, none of those systems completely break the ability they’re buffing.

Talents probably could have worked in VG, had they made any effort to give each hero equally powerful talents. However, when they were introduced, the devs came right out and said that they were intended to make heroes broken. Several PBE participants subsequently told me that when they were testing talents before release, they all had always used them at max level. :man_facepalming: Knowing that, is it really a surprise they’ve never been able to balance them?

1 Like