According to Google Trends

Only an accurate messurement on new competitive players really.

Are you implying that the proportion of competitive players decreased?

More likely it has plateaued not to mention SEMC advertising vgpro vgfire and reddit creates less need for any new competive players to search for.

Honestly that’s not what I’d call plateauing. It’s clear that the volume of searches has been going downwards since at least early 2017 (probably related to the jungle changes).
It’s actually pretty sad to see that despite the hype they generated for 5v5, they failed to boost the numbers, now reaching all-time low’s.

Again based on google search results which are only generated from a google search. Say i go to vgpro i don’t google it at all i just go there. Say i go to the forums again i don’t search. Say i follow vg on twitter I don’t google the twitter page. Say someone makes a new api and posts it on forums going there doesn’t trigger a google search.

1 Like

Yes, and? It still gives broad gauging of the interest VG is generating.
Of course people already part of the community have all the useful links at favorites or whatever. The graph means exactly what it says: that less people are searching “vainglory” (or topics related to it) than ever.
I don’t think that SEMC has done anything since 2017 that could have lead to a decreases in searches. In fact, I don’t think they could even do it: to me, the more a game is popular, the more people will search for it, mathematically.

All the measurements are from only Google. So wether or not people access VG related content without the use of Google is irrelevent.
It’s not like the measurements in 2016 recorded direct visits to the Forums, Reddit, and Twitter while current measurements do not. It’s the same metric throughout. So if Google searches show a certain trend, then you can infer that all volumes of access to VG related content are also following that trend.

2 Likes

I can tell you that usage of at least one major API site and of the largest non-web API tool follow that trend also. So I think @PopcornOne’s point should not be dismissed out of hand.

2 Likes

Well… I just played a 5vs5 match with 5 unranked players across both teams (highest being SA). I couldn’t understand what the match-maker put together there, but not having a choice (due to limited amount of players) would explain it.

It’s odd. For all the criticism and outrage I was directing SEMC’s way over the past year, I didn’t believe they could actually kill their product. Make it less attractive to play? Yes. Lose trust? Yes. Kill it? Didn’t think so.
Looks like they managed to piss off a lot more people a lot more thoroughly than they had room for. Because despite all its problems, VG is still the best mobile MOBA out there. 'would help if they fixed their netcode and routing issues, so people can actually play it, of course. (I mean, I get better ping to PUBG’s Asian servers from Europe than half the people from the SEA region get to VG’s SEA server…)

Or the unranked players fit into the niche of players who could have been higher tier if they played ranked b4

Two of them were likely smurfing, but that aside… got to be one hell of a niche where you can’t push your lane as Saw when you’re alone there.

1 Like

Because the skin system was the only good progression system we had. The problem is not that skins are impossible to get, the problem is the lack of progression system as a result of destroying the skin system, people have no reason to keep playing.

1 Like

5v5 didn’t bring the BOOM of players that was expected for various reasons, mainly bugs, lag and the match maker, something quite a bit of people (one of those is me) thought it was what was going to happend.

you forgot the important part.
to get new players due to 5v5, you first have to TELL eveyrone that you now have a 5v5. unless you are active in the mobile moba forums/twitter/yt etc you would not know about the 5v5.

along with it, vg doesnt seem to get any promotion by the app stores atm and there is less and less word of mouth going around and praising the game with every player they piss of for whatever reason.

as long as the paying players are still there, getting those ice deals and battle passes, vg wont go anywhere, but that wont last.

I find Bing searches are useful in business situations. They really filter out all the crap and only list useful sites.

Also Duck Duck Go is useful when you want to find information that doesn’t have a bias, as google does show you websites based on your most recent searches, what you favourite, adverts you clicked, what region you’re in, etc, etc, etc.

I remember once my boss asked me to “just look it up”… i was searching forever on google, he used bing and it was the first website. i was kinda embarrassed it took me so long.

i still use google all the time. For most situations, it is the go to search engine.

1 Like