WP Idris is my fallback when Kensei is banned and I want a diver for bot lane.
I’ve traditionally been terrible at stutterstepping because my ping causes me to rubberband when it gets too intense :^). Characters with abilities to help stutterstep like Kensei or Vox are fine since their abilities seem to keep me chained to reality, but characters like Ringo are off the table. Not only that, but I prefer assassins and bruisers in most PvP games, so I usually go for a Melee bot laner if possible. Other than Kensei, the best WP divers bot lane are Blackfeather and more importantly Idris. Blackfeather just feels too much like a watered down Kensei for my taste, so I avoid using him unless it’s a really nice draft, but Idris on the other hand can strive against the top lane meta of turtling under tower.
- He has ranged poke. This helps put pressure onto picks like Cath who just want to farm under tower and scale.
- He has strong early waveclear, which lets him leave lane to grab jungle to gain a lead.
- He has good synergy with red buff.
After 6 minutes, by which point you SHOULD have a Sorrowblade, Idris gains even more advantages.
- You can poke using your A. Just casually dive under tower and slap them between tower shots. The speed + barrier makes this hard to punish.
- Your combos hurt. Using his ult, you can tower dive effectively and dominate picks like Adagio.
- Your roams are amazing. Buy travel boots, push out the wave and gank mid with your jungler. If you get red buff on top of having an instant blink and a high base damage ability that can hit multiple times, the enemy is guaranteed to pop a flask and/or die.
Later on you buy BP and PS/SM and scale up to become a beast. Casually whacking people over the head with 500 damage AAs (without stacking BP) if fun and enjoyable gameplay . In the current meta of everyone buying a god damn slumbering husk you can dive your target, ult when their husk is popped and then jump off them two seconds later to pretty much nuke them into another dimension.
WP Idris himself is pretty hard to play, considering the fact that if you mess up, you don’t have 2 CC immune dashes or a back dash + dash extension to keep you safe, but he’s very rewarding to play if you can learn him. Just don’t do it to the point he gets nerfed. All the nerfs to CP Idris weakened WP Idris too, especislly the 5 bit meme nerf.