World Championship 2020

Lets goo! I hope more people interested in worlds, participate in the discussions <3

2 Likes

Okay, with Gen. G’s defeat of T1, the field is set! I’ve updated the second post in this thread to show all 22 teams that will be playing in Shanghai! Now comes the (interminable) two week wait until the matches start!!! :persevere:

LoL Esports are doing a nice series of tweets introducing each of the teams in the Play-In Stage. Here they are, in the order that they’re being posted:

:lol_teams_lgdgaming: LGD GAMING

:lol_teams_psgtalon: PSG TALON

:lol_teams_madlions: MAD LIONS

:lol_teams_paparasupermassive: PAPARA SUPERMASSIVE

:lol_teams_rainbow7: RAINBOW7

:lol_teams_legacyesports: LEGACY ESPORTS

:lol_teams_teamliquid: TEAM LIQUID

:lol_teams_intz: INTZ

:lol_teams_v3esports: V3 ESPORTS

:lol_teams_unicornsoflove: UNICORNS OF LOVE

1 Like

GROUP DRAW DAY 2020-09-15T12:00:00Z

:tv: https://lolesports.com/live/worlds/

And here are the groups for the Play-In Stage:

And the groups for the Group Stage:

WORLDS STAGES BREAKDOWN

Play-In Stage: Sept 25-30

The 10 Play-In teams will be split into 2 groups of 5 teams each.

Each of these groups will play a single round-robin cycle, with the first-place teams both advancing to the Group Stage, and the last-place teams being eliminated.

The third- and fourth-place teams in each group will play a best-of-five series, with the loser being eliminated and the winner advancing to a best-of-five series against the second-place team from the other group. The winners of those matches also will qualify for the Group Stage.

These matches will determine the four Play-In teams that move on to the Group Stage.

Check out the Worlds Format Explainer for a detailed look at this year’s Worlds format!

Group Stage: Oct 3-6; Oct 8-11

16 teams – 12 that qualified for the Group Stage directly, and 4 from the Play-In Stage – are drawn into 4 groups. Each group plays a double round-robin, best-of-one series. The two highest-ranked teams from each group will move on to the final leg of the tournament, the Knockout Stage.

Knockout Stage: Oct 15-18 (Quarterfinals); Oct 24-25 (Semifinals); Oct 31 (Finals)

Eight teams move on to the Knockout Stage, which encompasses Quarterfinals, Semifinals, and Finals. For this stage, the tournament transitions to a single-elimination bracket with all matches played in a best-of-five format. Matchups are decided by an on-stage draw before each day of play begins.

The team that comes out on top will become the 2020 World Champions.

Source: Worlds 2020 Primer

The Worlds schedule is now out, and I’ve updated the 3rd post in this thread to show the schedule for the round-robin phase of the Play-In Stage. I’ll be keeping that post up to date with upcoming matches, past results, and current standings, so you should bookmark it if you want to receive a notification when that post is updated.

To bookmark the post, scroll up to it, then click/tap the little ... icon at the bottom:

tools2

That will bring up some additional tools, including the bookmark icon, which is highlighted in blue below because I’ve bookmarked the post already:

tools

Here are the teams who will be starting in the Group Stage, as highlighted by LoL Esports on Twitter:

:lol_teams_machiesports: MACHI ESPORTS

:lol_teams_geng: GEN.G

:lol_teams_rogue: ROGUE

:lol_teams_suning: SUNING

:lol_teams_drx: DRX

:lol_teams_fnatic: FNATIC

:lol_teams_jdgaming: JD GAMING

:lol_teams_damwongaming: DAMWON GAMING

:lol_teams_g2esports: G2 ESPORTS

:lol_teams_flyquest: FLYQUEST

:lol_teams_tsm: TSM

:lol_teams_topesports: TOP ESPORTS

WORLDS 2020 PICK 'EM, DROPS, & OTHER LOOT

Get the lowdown on all of this year’s Worlds-related watch missions, drops, Pick 'em rewards, & more :point_down:

https://lolesports.com/article/worlds-2020-pick’em,-drops,-watch-rewards,-and-more/blt460a2f7b3dbb11f7

Yes, I am too cheap to pay for this widget :wink:

EDIT: AND WE’RE LIVE!!! :partying_face:

And the first match is in the bag! Ggwp, :lol_teams_madlions: !

New bg, who dis?

Tough, tough situation for PSG Talon: 3 of their starting 5 players remain in quarantine in Shanghai, so they are forced to play with 3 subs “borrowed” from other teams in their league.

Going to be an interesting 2nd match of the day!

W A O :scream: !

:lol_teams_psgtalon: wins in absolutely dominant fashion!

And :lol_teams_psgtalon: prove they are a team to watch! 2-0 on the first day!

END OF DAY 1

Standings updated with results from Day 1’s matches!

Day 2 is underway!!

:lol_teams_paparasupermassive: dominant in the 2nd match of the day! (Poor :lol_teams_intz: still winless …)

:lol_teams_unicornsoflove: vs :lol_teams_v3esports: up next!

ALL of the jerseys at Worlds are cool, but I’m REALLY digging these UOL jerseys:

Orianna bot lane!!! :astonished: (as counter pick to Cait)

EDIT: V3 does a LANE SWAP! :exploding_head: Now bot is top after an attempted invade! (That did not go well, btw.) Crazy!