When to dodge

Yeah I don’t agree, you’ll be wasting 5 people’s time in 3v3 because of a known troll. Why would I want to endure 15 wasted minutes if I know the guy is a troll? 15-20 minutes of toxicity or another minute in the queue? I know what I’d prefer…

By affirming the need to not dodge, I am actually making people second guess their reason for dodging in the first place.

Your reason is for “known trolls”… what if, there was no trolls? what if, this tiny little determination to NOT DODGE is actually turning trolls (a bad term for quitters, temper tantrum players)… to think about why others can turn a loss into a win… and they can’t…

why others can carry, and they can’t… etc…

I believe, that trolling is more than just a tendency to “throw” the game… it’s deep rooted into their subconscious, and by giving them the hard set rules, some of them might just stop being quitters and start being winners.

It’s like telling a kid to “be good” all the time. We all know kids will act up, run a muck, but every speech will still be “be good”.

Okay using the example above where someone plays saw no matter what “he has over 200 games as saw”… it’s clear he doesn’t care, to the point where he laughed from the very start of the match about his draft choice.

You’ll not convince me the playing with him benefits anyone, if everyone dodged every match he is involved in he couldn’t play the game. He would be left with a choice of a - do I stop doing this, or b - do I stop playing.

By playing with known trolls your providing the with the opportunity to troll and add toxicity to the community.

It’s your choice I guess, but my choice is to dodge playing with people like this, allowing him to continue to do it reinforces his negative behaviour and rewards him for being an arsehole.

3 Likes

If there were no Trolls i wouldn’t have to dodge to avoid feeding a troll

4 Likes

I’m not going to lie, I am not very awake at the moment, and when I first saw this thread’s title I read “When to Doge?” and I wondered very carefully “When is the right time to Doge?” :thinking:

6 Likes

Don’t dodge. Who says you’re qualified to judge over other people’s picks? You might think you’re the smartest cookie in the box, but chances are you are not. Not only are you deeming one (or several) people’s choices as ‘idiotic’, by dodging you’re putting your own opinion over that of 9 other players that want to play the match.
Try giving people the benefit of the doubt, it works more often than you think and you won’t be wasting other people’s time. And it’s all the more satisfying to win with a wonky teamcomp. Consider what would happen if everyone was lenient on dodging… potentially matches would never start.

As for trolls you might recognize; there isn’t a set group of people that are ‘trolls’. People tilt and have bad matches, some tilt more easily, sure, but very, very few people will troll 24/7. So unless you had bad experience with a player on several occasions, again it’s best to give people the benefit of the doubt.

There really should be a harsher punishment for toxicity, dodging included. Or rewards for good behaviour, whichever philosophy you prefere.

1 Like

Would you choose to play with this person if given the choice?
It’s very easy to say don’t dodge, and as a rule I’d agree but I’ve got a mental list of known trolls who are consistently toxic and I won’t play with them.

1 Like

A 58.6% winrate is nothing to complain about honestly.

There is no reason to dodge, especially in 5v5 where even a team that fully counters yours can still be beat with the right strategy.

To me, anyone who is trying to justify dodging is just as big as a problem as trolls, rage pingers, and Afkers.

1 Like

My god he plays saw every game, he refuses to roam and you’d play with him?

For me you’re the problem, apologists for aresholes like this means they continue to do it. Dodging a draft and wasting a minute dodging a match (3v3 in this instance) and saving everyone 20 minutes is what I’ll continue to do 100% of the time. I won’t roam for people like this, and I won’t play with them because they’re the reason the game gets so toxic. It if you want to watch him double lane in your matches that’s upto you.

1 Like

So what if they play SAW every game? They have an almost 60% winrate over 116 games on a hero that can get crushed by a single item.

Obviously they like SAW, and obviously can hold their own with SAW.

Enjoy LPQ for dodging, just remember you cant rank anymore if you get it.

No dodging isn’t great, if you see the need to fine but don’t try make others accept the behaviour that even the game punishes you for. Dodging makes people toxic, it can be as toxic as trolls, dodging really sucks for the other people. The amount of times I’ve gone on vg in hopes to play to then encounter people dodge like 3-4 matchups in a row cuz someone didn’t get their carry or team was weird has made me upset and end up not playing another match more than an actual troll which usually never actually started off as a troll from the beginning of a match. I give any pick a chance cuz you never know they could be good at it

3 Likes

Emotionally, I disagree with you, but rationally, I have to agree. There’s no reason why someone can’t pick the same hero every time. If it’s truly a bad strategy, they’ll lose and drop tier, or get tired of it. But that’s clearly not the case here. SAW works for him, so… you do you, dude.

This guy is obvs a little bit trollish, kind of, sort of, but the more interesting question is whether or not it’s possible through game design to lead people away from this kind of behavior. What do you guys think?

1 Like

Don’t add 4% to his winrate, that 120 games where he has probably ruined 33% of the matches and you say “so what”… for what’s its worth I’ve got lane hero’s with 60% winrate, do I get to late every game because of it?

When dodging toxic players is worse than being toxic I begin to question the communities logic. I should endure 20/25 minutes of shit game play just so I don’t dodge a game vs a troll who would rather double lane and laugh about it than play as a team and roam.

If you want to double lan with him go ahead, but don’t pretend what he’s doing isn’t toxic, locking in double lane and laughing about it for the entire game.

1.4% actually. Not 4%.

The fact is, dodgers are no better than the trolls, ping spammers, and Afkers they are trying to avoid.

I will not continue this any longer, as it is going no where fast.

Have a good one buddy. :slight_smile:

I would say there are likely ways to make an incentive for players to switch up their roles. Off the top of my head maybe special daily chests that only unlock playing certain roles, with wins in that role?

This is the inherent problem with online games though. You cant really force people to play a certain way, and a system that could do it probably wouldnt be well recieved.

Honestly, no you won’t change him, that’s just his 3v3 stats, his 5v5 stats are the same… he laughs about it when you point it out in game.

How toxic is that, to ruin the game, laugh about it then do exactly the same thing next game (yes I endured it two games in a row), I dodged the third game because I’m not wasting an hour of my life playing with someone like this who refuses to play as part of a team (this is a MOBA). But the community thinks I’m in the wrong because you should “never ever dodge a match”…

I’ll continue to dodge any match in which he’s in my team, hes not even that good, a 56% win rate isn’t world beating not for a one trick pony player who should in theory excel with saw.

I’ve said it once before they’re exceptions to every rule. People appear to have misunderstood my point, I don’t dodge games regularly, i don’t refuse to play because I couldn’t play “saw” I just refuse to play with known trolls who laugh in game because they find it funny to troll. Seems everyone else continues to play with them which in my eyes helps condone their behaviour.

We have that already, you’re rewarded for playing an array of hero’s.

I won’t say anymore on the subject, but if you want to play three games in a row with someone who laughs in game when they lock in saw that’s upto you.

My karma is great, I don’t dodge defaults, but I will dodge certain known trolls when ever I play with the.

GG

You know, there are such things as active and reactive behaviour.

If I keep kicking you in the balls for 30 minutes straight, because that’s my idea of fun, and you eventually decide you’ve had enough and punch me - it would be sort of strange to call both physical violence and say that’s just the same.

1 Like

Umm… they are both forms of physical violence regardless of the reason for the act.

That’s a poor analogy.

SEMC should provide me with an alternative, why don’t they allow me to block him in game, give me the choice to not have to play with him ever again.

He can continue to enjoy saw whilst blighting-your matches because you’re okay with it whilst I’ll have the option to avoid him in game. Sure my search times might be longer, but I bet you the community would vote with their feet eventually and slowly begin to place him on a ban list.

2 Likes