Volume 7 Discussion

Beeeeeeeeeeeeees

there was one left right? I don’t remember that well but i was pretty sure that they had another one. also don’t remember what happened to Neo (my favourite) and emerald and the gang
i should probably rewatch.
also glad that Penny is back she is another one of my favourite characters, but i didn’t expect that she was gone completely. also sad moment that Maria is left in mantle :^(

1 Like

Yes, there’s one question remaining — Oz told them (and Ironwood, apparently) there were none left, but that was a lie.

When last we saw Neo (at the end of Vol 6), she and Cinder were about to depart Mistral for Atlas …

1 Like

Sana Freeman’s matte painting of Atlas used in Chapter 2!

1 Like

Meet the Ace Ops of Atlas!

VAs: Christopher Wehkamp (Clover), Anairis Quinones (Harriet), Todd Womack (Vine), Dawn Bennet (Elm), Mick Lauer (Marrow)

2 Likes

WARNING: Contains spoilers from eps 1-3. Beware.

My analysis and critique

Alright. So I’ll try to keep this organized as possible.

Animation, visuals, and character design
Gorgeous. Though some scenes I feel are a bit too fast, overall, the animation and visuals are absolutely amazing. As for the character designs… ruby looks good, weiss looks good, tbh I like long hair Blake but short hair is good. Jaune’s haircut is just deuuuuuuuuuuueaugh. Oml i’m sorry it’s just too ugly! It’s like thor and then he gets Ragnarok haircut xd. I know it’s a character thing when a female cuts her hair to signify change but jaune my dude it doesn’t fit for you lmao. Qrow’s new outfit is alright, I don’t hate it but not a big fan.

Plot
Mmmm okay I might get some hate for this. I don’t like that penny is alive. Hear me out please. So Penny is supposed to be a robot capable of generating an aura. This means, by every measurable way possible, Penny has to be considered a “living thing” by RWBY standard. If she was able to be revived just by “Retrieving her core” (which is a pathetic explanation considering she was really battered up), that cheapens the uniqueness penny has. Why? Because say her program is based on an ai, and then at a point evolves into consciousness with aura generation, that all goes away by implying her core, an essential ai program, would be enough to resurrect her. How is penny still penny? Her aura dissipated when she died right? It could have been told in such a way that there was a new penny, and her memories which were stored on a database was retrieved and used to shape the new penny. So what ability does this new penny have? Same aura meaning same semblence?

i’m really interested in the new elite ops team leader’s semblance mechanics with Qrow’s, because it doesn’t seem like they cancel out. (That one scene in ep 3 where he almost gets hit by flying rubble, and Qrow slips but he gets caught. Also kinda funny to see Qrow’s awkward introverted side, because he’s not trying to be badass 24/7 anymore xd

NOTE: Spoilers below, but since Chapters 1 & 2 are already available for all to watch, I’m not going to hide them!

CRWBY has been killing it: everything from the concept art and design to the modeling, texturing, camera work, animation, lighting, compositing, and sound design has been brilliant. Once again, a big leap forward for the series, just as Volume 6 was. (I freaking love the look of Mantle!)

Regarding character design: I’m a fan of RWBY’s new designs (Weiss’s is still growing on me), but I am not as enthusiastic about JNR’s – probably because I loved their Vol 4-6 outfits so much. As for Jaune’s haircut … well, maybe it’ll grow out soon …

Fair. Her “death” in Vol 3 was almost as shocking as Pyrrha’s, and it’s understandable that some people might feel misled by the writers that she was gone for good, as Pyrrha was.

However, we don’t have much detail on what happened, or even how Penny works. (HOW is she capable of generating an aura if she is just a robot?) The “core” that was retrieved from Amity Arena is clearly the source of the entity called “Penny” – and of her soul. Somehow it survived the destruction of her body, and Pietro built a new body to house it and bring her “back to life” (by enabling the core to once again interact with the world through the new body).

Since the core that is Penny’s soul is the same, I’d venture to say that her semblance is likely similar. However, we know that semblances can evolve, so perhaps there will be some differences as well. Btw, the weapons we’ve seen her use so far in Vol 7 are likely similar to the ones used by the huntresses/huntsmen: powered by dust and controlled through use of aura. So I don’t believe we’ve seen her semblance yet.

I can’t decide if I trust the Ace Ops yet. It seems Ruby does, and her instincts are usually very good, so I guess I will have to learn to like them. Qrow has been a loner for so long, it’d be kind of cool for him to finally find a partner – though I don’t know if that’s how it’s going to go with Clover, because he already has a team.

1 Like

Chapter 4 - Pomp and Circumstance

Air date: 2019-11-23T16:00:00Z

My two favorite moments from today’s episode (spoilers):

Moment 1

Blake holding Weiss’s hand while Weiss stands up to her father – the love and trust between all of them in stark contrast to how the Ace Ops see one another.

Moment 2

:honeybee: selfies!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: RWBY in other media

Chapter 5 - Sparks

Air date: 2019-11-30T16:00:00Z

No Chapter 5 spoilers, just bees

I love everything about this episode, I don’t even know where to start istg

1 Like

Weston Jones has posted an AMAZING series of images showing how he developed the look for Mantle! Do not hesitate, go check out everything he posted to his ArtStation today!

Omg, I utterly love these!!!

1 Like

Chapter 6 - A Night Off

Air date: 2019-12-07T16:00:00Z

All I want to say is ... (Chapter 6 SPOILER)

BEES ON A DATE!!! :rwby_blake: :rwby_yang:

Chapter 6

Wait Wait hold up. 1 hit zeroes out lamb girl aura and slices her? Bruh. Even if they were unguarded because of light, it’s kinda ridiculous. Nerf Tyrian? His “blind enemies take 200% more dmg “op asf

Ep 6

Tyrian’s semblance is that he can attack your life points directly!

Also I am quite glad that Renora finally got their kiss, though the price of it was… rip. Also more Fiona is always lovely!

1 Like

Obligatory

What did it cost? Everything.

1 Like