Announcing: VG Community Edition

Not to get my hopes high but Im already imagining how @HipsterSkaarf 's community voting poll could be a part of the balancing decisions on said server.

But let me tone myself down :sunny_happy_2:

2 Likes

You mentioned that @cha0z had the wrong URL regarding a WR forum site. Was wondering if you had one up based on that or if you had plans to have one.

Yeah, 5v5 was not the big problem. It actually caused a big resurgence in the game. Yeah I love 3v3 and it’s more unique, but if VG had never gone 5v5 it would have died so much sooner.

2 Likes

There is zero evidence to support that. In fact, all the available evidence shows that 5v5 had no effect on the game’s trajectory whatsoever:

:arrow_up: This Google Trends graph mirrors what those of us who were running API services were seeing as well: there was a big jump in activity around the release of 5v5 (the two spikes I circled on the graph correspond to the announcement of 5v5 at Worlds 2017 and its release in February 2018) followed by a steep drop off. As you can see, the overall shape of the curve was not changed at all by 5v5. If I graphed API calls via my Discord bot, it would look the same.

The only place where your assertion might be true is in China, for which none of us had accurate data. (And neither does Google.) But outside of that region, 5v5 changed nothing.

3 Likes

This, and given how many VG friends I knew quit around 5vs5 release as SEMC ruined 3vs3 from 2.9 onwards - I am sure that the game would had have a lot more players rn if SEMC invested the resources into 3vs3 polishing, keeping toned down e-sports with reasonable expenses instead of 5 stars hotels and generally developed further 3vs3. Ofc changing their monetisation so there are skins that you can still get free, but roflmao better looking skins for money and money only… with honest communication why to the community instead of lies or silence.

Instead they developed standard 5vs5 map and throw all VG into it without considering how everything they created so far is for 3vs3 and exactly halcyon map… why they could not have different balance in the two game modes? Because when they created VG they did it so it would be on one map and one map only with one values. Not get me started about the wasted resources on the PC port.

I am almost certain that the game was going to be even still profitable (even if so slightly) if they invested in 3vs3 polishing it further + changed they monetisation so not everything can be get for free. And that the player base was going to be smaller than the “strong years”, but stable on a level of dedicated and passioned players + obviously times more than now.

Ofc this is my opinion and can’t know for sure, but no matter the fine details, given how bad 5vs5 flop and the resources poured into it (and the PC port) - I am atleast almost certain that the game was going to be in a lot better place than it’s now (basically dead).

1 Like

So normal VG servers are shut down now? :frowning:
I felt like the game was just having a revival (due to the virus) I was having like only 5 seconds queue times it was great

Does anyone know if it’s possible to implement an old mode like Rumble and 3v3 casual with this community led era?

1 Like

They mentioned re-introducing event gamemodes. I’d have to look over the roadmap but it’s somewhere there.

Rogue’s CEO tweeted, then deleted this over the weekend.

6 Likes

I will look it from their perspective for a moment. I really do feel that VG started to cost a lot to maintain in the last half a year given how small the player base become with tendency for even lower numbers rapidly.

So I kinda can understand their desire to stop supporting the game in the current worlds situation, HOWEVER it was totally absurd and unprofessional way to do so in the way they did it (if SEMC are completely honest and in the end it will not turn out rogue wanted to give the game back to SEMC sooner than presented to us). So tweeting how the game was not only not making money, but cost so much to maintain doesn’t change the fact how they acted.

P.S. I am pretty sure SEMC could keep the game inhouse and just for a period of time tweak a little bit the balance values to keep it fresh without introducing new content. The most obvious motivation for their move is that the game maintenance is absurdly high vs the income and freezing the game without new content will worsen the situation.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly correct.

If I were a game studio, I think I’d avoid choosing Rogue as a “partner” in getting my game to market.

4 Likes

btw, you know what’s the most sad thing about all this? I just fired up mobile legends after like 4-5 months off the game… it’s massively improved in all regards: new UI, new smoother animations ingame, better graphics, new HD variant of the map with a lot more details, new content into the game, a lot faster loading into a match, better end game statistics (for example now it says how many of the player base you beat with MVP, etc)… it’s improved in all regards noticeably and this is just for 4 months.

1 Like

Same for AoV. They are miles ahead except core gameplay and skin effects.

What pisses me off even more is that they didn’t even improve on the game at ALL before pulling the plug. What do they expect from a game they refuse to fix with issues the extremely LOYAL community constantly complain about???

Even EA is letting Bioware revamp Anthem before pulling the plug. Smh. Sure, they have far more resources, but still. It was like Rogue was telling us to just throw money at them before they even TRIED to implement SOME improvements. It’s slimy. The lack of transparency through this ordeal only makes the problem 10x worse

1 Like

It’s like throwing away a slab of raw steak. It could be a great cut of steak, but if you don’t bother to season it and cook it, then it won’t taste good :unamused:

Unless you like bloody and raw steak that is

Mmm…

11 Likes

I feel it’s not a bad video and overview from rumblysuperset:

I also feel that with the thin player base, things will escalate quite quickly when you can choose between a few servers. Till now whole Europe was on the same que/ranking/server group and this will change. Different balance, different taste, people will play different servers and que/matchmaking will be awful + long. On top of that no new content in a MOBA game as the engine stays closed (as expected).

2 Likes

Tl;dw … can you summarize? (I can’t take 30 minutes of Rumbly at this hour of the morning :rbgwen:)

This is exactly why I don’t see this scheme of theirs working. If queue times are longer than now and matchmaking is worse (both pretty much guaranteed to be the case, since there will be dramatically fewer players on any given server), people aren’t likely to continue to play. Similarly, with no new content available, there’s nothing to attract new players, and even dedicated veterans are likely to abandon the increasingly stale game.

Imho, they absolutely need to allow mods and user-created content if they want the game to survive. Otherwise, why would anyone play it, especially in its severely broken state (no friends list, no chat, no stats, no match history, &c.)?

1 Like

Exactly what we are talking about. That this thing with the different servers will even further hurt the QUE times and people you can play with, with a few with their own balance/players/ELO leading to que times and matchmaking quality a lot lot worse vs what we have now (and it was bad, really bad…).

He also feel that no new content for a MOBA game is a dead game, especially combined with the worse servers quality (potentially lag issues too as even the officials got those as we all know), que times, matchmaking quality. He thinks that content creators also doesn’t really have what to create content for when nothing new is released for the game and made references to games like skyrim that are still in a ok spot, but totally opened for a new content of any kind for them/heavy modding. SEMC will basically allow only balance tweaking.

He also touched a bit on all the missing features that will make the experience even worse, but that’s obvious (chat, stats, friends list, etc).

All combined will lead to players and streamers/content creators lose interest quickly and quit. Followed by the games death as the last few diehards will also give up when the things got unbearable in the near future.

The video is actually quite interesting, didn’t expect so reasonable thinking by him + explained himself well and thus 30 minutes (+ cool CP krul bot gameplay, he was forced into that role by another player).

2 Likes

I don’t know how I feel about everything going on right now. For me VG is the game in which I truly invest time, and therefore means a lot for me. Seeing how the game is basically… dead… I don’t find any other word to describe it.

As you guys said before, with no real improvements made in the game, just updated with some balance changes made by us… I guess s a matter of time that everyone leaves.

Hellsdevil uploaded a video to show how to make a China account, I’m not sure if that’s the best option or not, but I may think about it, just because I don’t want to leave the game (although I stoped playing consistently some time ago), with no chance to play it again.

As someone said in a YouTube comment, “I was in the beginning, and I will be at the end”.

If project SpellFire has success, is there any chance SEMC could bring us again VG? I don’t think so but… I want to believe there is some hope.

2 Likes