Vainglory on steam

I didn’t assert that they represented anything except for the Steam base. Why do the Steam numbers reflect the PC base as a whole?

I didn’t say that they do, only that they’re the only hard numbers anyone has. And they’re appallingly low. Given that Steam is a very popular way to discover new games, that does not bode well for the PC release. (Given that SEMC does exactly ZERO advertising, how else are players going to discover Vainglory?)

Even if you assume that Steam represents 1% of the PC player base (and I’d venture to say it’s much higher than that), that would give you about 50000 concurrent players – worldwide.

That’s not an encouraging number, tbqh, and like I said, I doubt that 99% of PC players download the game directly.

EDIT: The other very worrisome data point is the massive drop in concurrent players since the Steam launch – a drop of over 40%. Again, that doesn’t necessarily mean PC players as whole have dropped by 40%, but it’s an indicator that the game is unlikely to be growing on PC.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not great, but it seems like the entire VG on Steam community would fit within the margin of error for the larger VG community. I’d think that the VG Steam players probably only represent the players who never heard of it before it was on Steam.

Steam doesn’t seem to make it easy to find anything new if you’ve never heard of it before. The way I usually find out about a Steam game is to hear about it in a review, ad or website elsewhere, and then follow a link to Steam. If the review or whatever links to the place where I can download the game, I never get to Steam. Basically if I got to VG’s website, why take the extra step of looking for it on Steam?

It’s good for a game to be available in more places, and whatever makes it a flop on Steam should be addressed, but I don’t think It’s failure on Steam represents anything else.

1 Like

The problem is that nobody really knows. Your experience may be wildly different from someone else’s – I find new games on Steam all the time, for example. Because I have multiple computers, Steam is an extremely convenient way to play my games on whichever one I’m using at the moment, so I find using Steam preferable to not using Steam.

My point is that you are making assumptions that I don’t believe are valid for the larger VG community.

Because most players likely find and downloaded from there. I can argue that the vainglorygame.com launcher is downloaded mostly by people familiar with the game, i.e. mobile players + steam autoupdates the game so is more convenient and most will choose it over the stand alone if they have steam (and most does).

My honest opinion…

2 Likes

That can’t be your point, that’s my point :stuck_out_tongue:

The Steam launch being a flop means that the Steam launch is a flop. 500 users is soooo far off from the rest of the VG community that I don’t think it can be used to represent the rest of the community.

People pointed out Steam to show that VG has a problem, but even with the limited stats, we know that VG is orders of magnitude more popular elsewhere. Steam isn’t a large enough fraction of VG’s base to be an indicator of anything.

Just because the Steam numbers are meaningless (aside from showing that VG is not doing well on Steam), does not mean that VG is doing great what it means is that we still have no real information, but what we do have does not look great.

3 Likes

Vainglory on steam just reached its all time lowest, sigh.

[Mod edit: cropped image]

So much wasted effort … :confounded:

6 Likes

Rip 4.0 update corss platform

They only waste time

Bring carft system only thing will make VG back
Along with sunlight nd great events like ride or die

And maybe LE skins help to get more money

The sad part is (and some of us with experience in that direction actually understands it painfully well), that this really cost them quite the effort/resources/dev power to pull out and that resources not only would been great, but imho were needed for the main game on ios/android.

1 Like

First they tried with the moba perfected for touch, I thought it was going well until they decided it was not so they abandoned that and went for cross-platform (or that pretentious made up name their lovely CEO went with “post-platform” lol) it was an utter failure so I guess they also abandoned that and are now leaning towards other projects huh…

The initial idea was great, but the game/company grow ones… not.

When I joined Vainglory, the person who showed it to me played it every second, was estatic about the game. Loved it. The spirit of the game was vibrant. Nowadays it is the spirit of the game that has fallen in a way. Still alive, still possible to return to its former glory, but it’s not the way it was.

And the community around the game is what is going to draw in people now. Not to say that they might not find success in some untapped community or market suddenly sticking with the game and making it cool to play again in the future, but wholesale, community is what’s going to bring this game back, not even just fixes and the likes.

Their mistake was in taking their core player base for granted in the pursuit of attracting new players. In focusing on things that they thought would bring in new players, they alienated the people who had made the game successful in the first place. When the new players failed to stick around, many (? most) of the OG players had moved on.

9 Likes

A dev responded to one of the question on Reddit about why chests full of talents , he called us (the one doesn’t like talents) purist Moba players , and called the players that care about talents as the non-vocals yet big portion of the community.

Why talents players are big portion non-vocals ? , and where are they from the talents balance ? I don’t see spam threads about getting bored of talents and need a refresh balance changes , are they bots ? , if someone playing something not getting updated I think atleast I could consider them don’t care about talents they just play brawl modes and grab any talent they feel playing .

I’ll be honest and say the old skin system what made me stick to the game , I was playing casuals and collecting cards , there is nothing interested for new players just a bugged game with bad matchmaking .

4 Likes

Smh … they’ve never really understood their community, that’s for certain.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s their biggest demise thinking they know what’s best for the community without well… taking the community’s feedback.

3 Likes

You forgot to add the lack of a progression system.

1 Like

Lmao did they remove the Reddit post? I remember seeing it but now its gone. Looks like they want to eliminate problem posts :new_moon_with_face:

Edit: Found the reply you were talking about.

But it still stands that they removed a post about the lvl 100 chest… :eyes:

Are you sure? There’s sooooo many posts about it, and reddit sucks for searching, I’m not sure how anyone could ever know.

Why do you doubt that this is true?

1 Like