Touch Controls for wild rift

<sigh> Nope, not saying that at all.

Are any game dev studios in the business for any other reason? Why would that translate to choosing a supposedly inferior control scheme?

You do know that Riot initially refused to create a mobile version of League because they felt it wouldn’t meet their standards or the expectations of players used to the quality of League on PC, right? Does that sound like they’re simply trying to make a quick buck?

This discussion is becoming less interesting to me because of snide/cynical comments like these, so I’ll probably drop out of the convo here.

Here’s my final contribution:

Preferred Control Scheme on Mobile

• Touchscreen
  • Virtual joysticks
  • Cybernetic implant
  • Magic
0 voters

I like the magic option, magic is how I like to do anything.

Not that this means much but just cuz you added a poll, I don’t mind either virtual joystick or touch.
Just wishful thinking on a nice control scheme that I’d like to use. A mix between the two like virtual joystick movement with a good targeting system(which are quite good already as I remember one like in onmoyji arena it could be quite free on targeting, It allowed you to pick and lock on any in range enemy over the standard of just auto attack closest/lowest hp enemy) but also be able to aim abilities with touch rather than aiming through joystick all the time.

2 Likes

Okay, that’s a fair call. And I’m sorry if you feel like I wasted your time. You know I hold you in high regard, and I’m not sure how exactly we ended up with a discussion that is falling short for both of us.

Part of the reason may be…

…that I have no idea what you are saying. The above is the best paraphrasing I could get out of:

I just don’t know what metric you are using to determine which control scheme is better, other than people’s opinion. Which -as I tried to explain- has nothing whatsoever to do with what is better, and everything with what people are used to.
And the reason a lot more people are used to joystick controls is that Moonton ran a gigantic ad campaign and people picked up ML.
You said it best yourself:

It’s like deciding whether vanilla or chocolate ice cream is better based on the opinion of a group of people who refuse to try chocolate ice cream, because it contains the word “chocolate” and chocolate makes you fat.

Like, really, on what basis are we arguing here?

So no, suggesting that Riot looked at that same situation and decided to go with joystick controls, for no other reason than that this is the already established control scheme, is not a “snide remark”.
It’s my best guess as to how that decision was made, based on exactly no information at all.
What I did was point out that Developers can rationally arrive at that conclusion without quality ever entering the equation. Hence this…

…is not a valid conclusion, in my eyes.

This is not an attempt to draw you back into the discussion. I won’t claim any sort of victory, if you decide there’s just no point in further engaging.
But I hope that I may have managed to make myself more clear, at least to the point where you can believe I wasn’t trying to engage in a bad-faith argument.

1 Like

This is an interesting discussion. Adding my 2 cents:

This is an interesting development, and one I look forward to seeing. It would be an interesting proof of concept to see if touch controls would actually be preferred over joystick controls by a much wider audience, assuming WR gains that. A lot of different things could happen from that. Also, there is something to be said for the argument that simply having touch controls would potentially bring in more players. Let’s not forget that VG advertised the factor of touch controls in pitching the game, and learning touch controls is a significant jump from joystick controls, and as such is an investment. With the amount of players that decided to invest in VG, with no business significant advertising of the game, there seems to be the suggestion that there is a market for players who prefer touch controls, as it is has proven itself to be a scheme that players are willing to use, even preferential to, with little influence besides the game with which it was used in, which stands as a good indication of its utility.

That said, joystick controls are inherently better than touch controls in some ways, and I would argue the ways that matter most in targeting a large playerbase. They do free up the screen for easier viewing, they do provide a more practical control scheme on non-hand sized screens, and they do provide a simple platform for how games are played, creating a standard that can flexibly be built upon. Touch controls, provide a different kind of playstyle that can provide more precision as well as responsiveness, and lend a different kind of simplicity to immersive actions, however the detracting factor of not being a viable control scheme for non-hand sized devices and being a difficult thing to meaningfully sync with a standard physical control scheme (ex. vainglory being ported to switch, psn, xbox, or pc) makes it a secondary option at best, but an interesting one.

There are some benefits to a secondary touch option, however the downsides outweigh them. Without getting too speculative, there are a lot of different ways having a touch option could impact the game, with the added benefit of some players familiar with a moba style game already showing preference to touch, however managing two control schemes for all the different options for play could become cumbersome, especially when it comes to balancing responsiveness between players attempting to perform actions. Some things can be performed faster and with more precision on a handheld device with touch, as well as allowing different ways to perform complex actions, while joystick sacrifices a base precision yet provides a simpler standard to build upon, and leaves more options for screen real estate, not to mention reaches more devices.

All that said; it is not a necessarily a winning move for Riot to invest in development of a secondary control scheme and deal with the balancing issues that come from the different ways the two control schemes affect screen real estate and gameplay dynamics between players. Touch controls are bound to constrict options on the screen, likely to provide too much of an advantage for some players over others, and complicate matters when it comes to differences in mobile devices. That’s not to say that people showing preference to playing with touch, and the responsiveness it provides, are factors that should be ignored. It is at best a standalone concept, and one that games should capitalize on only if they expect to appeal to a handheld device only audience, or possibly party games on much larger devices, however that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be a draw for players and potentially become the preferred option to use for the players able to do so. Ultimately it will be an extra headache for riot but it may be a benefit, depending on how they constrain and balance the game.

2 Likes

For the people worried about WR joystick…

This game is everything I can dream of to have on my phone after VG end. Controls looks quite precise and a lot better vs ML + visibility is also tons better and you can easily tell what’s going on. Also clearly high skill combos in the game and that also vouch that the controls are good. Can’t wait to try it, also the game is quite good from a player that knows LOL, i.e. decent - watch it.

3 Likes

That’s definitely the best gameplay footage I’ve seen, so far.
It’s not telling me that much about the controls themselves, other than that the the whole thing looks a lot more smooth than some of the Dev streams, for instance.
Being able to see the whole screen made for pretty good situational awareness. With thumbs covering the input areas, it may be another story. It would be interesting to see how that works with a sniper-type character, who may be able to land aimed abilities in that lower right area of the screen.

'was definitely interesting to see a little more of the art in a live environment, though - and even the character animations looked pretty good. Things like Yasuo sheathing his sword when idle are a nice touch.

1 Like

Yep, looks smooth + I love some little things like arrows showing movement direction on the minimap + ping system that is easy to use and precise. Attention to details is there.

Edit: it also shows at game start where bot/top are located for your team.

2 Likes

There’s a petition for touch options now. It’s looking a little sad, but… We might as well try.
Here’s the link to a twitter post about it.

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s a post on reddit about it, and the idea is receiving a lot of negative feedback - because people are worried touch screen controls may be abused by folks using an emulator on PC.

The argument is, roughly: No! If you add touch controls, people using an emulator will be at an advantage. Look at what happened with PUBGM!
And yes, there were people abusing emulators to get an advantage on PUBGM. It was pretty much a nightmare. But that game is using joystick controls to begin with?

So there’s a lot of people who oppose the very idea, even though their argument doesn’t make sense to me.

1 Like

I mean its not like some hundreds of votes are gonna convince riot to go out of their way to implement touch controls.

Tencent isn’t the developer anyway. :wink:

Riot games pardon my ignorance, same logic applies tho

1 Like

You’re right, of course – no rational developer should mistake the desires of a small but vocal minority for what’s best for their game. The latter part of Vainglory’s development can serve as a cautionary tale in that respect.

3 Likes

While I do love touch controls for mobile MOBA, this is a bad decision (objectively and subjectively). Thus I am sure they will not do it, because it will create a lot of problems with current and future content, design of abilities, heroes, joy to play them, consistent experience and whatnot. Also the game will release on consoles = no touch controls there, gamepad only and when you create something for joystick controls on a phone it’s no brainer porting great to gamepads.

Let’s keep it real. Not only it will not happen, but if it was going to - it was going to hurt the game. And no, it’s not an option for riot to release something half baked just to have it there for some die hards. They either release it polished and fully integrated or don’t release it at all. Simple.

4 Likes

We’re going to have calls to add touch controls all the way up to Riot stopping support for the game (and possibly past that as well). It’s become so annoying. I’m not going to play Wild Rift, but I want it to be its own thing, not the last refuge for Vainglory diehards.

Hey folks, they’ve got 1.2k signatures… They can do it! Honestly, I’d imagine there would need to be at minimum 500k signatures for Riot to even bat an eye. side question: is there any data that shows online petitions, such as from change.org, are even impactful/successful? Not hard to sign more than once under different aliases. I just don’t see this happening.

1 Like