The Grind of the Century

VG is lucky in a way in that, in what I observe, it did a fairly good job in keeping returning players for a decent long time. Just looking at my friendlist and from the all 5v5 icons on the matchscreen. Losing many of those bit by bit, but that’s beside the point.
But even with an above average commited community I’d bet two hours per day is still on the high side for most players. Depends of course on things like the demographic; for someone with a fulltime job it’s plain impossible to do your 5-6 hours, even the two hours will be unlikely.
So yes; for most people reaching level 50 is unlikely or at least connected with a lot of grinding. That has nothing to with being a “casual” or “gamer” and everything to do with simple math and not enough hours in a day. (and priorities ofc.)

3 Likes

lol I actually do have a fulltime job lmao. buuut i have terrible insomnia, and no wife or kids, and I shy away from most of humanity if people can be avoided, so there’s that. i am truly surprised to hear that so many people think 2 hours a day on games is a lot of time. I feel like if I spend 2 hrs or less I haven’t even really gamed that day. this is eye opening, for me at least

Sorry to hear that. But yeah, that does make you an atypcial player, I imagine. And spending two hours on a game is not much for someone that has an interest in gaming, true. But two hours of Vainglory per day is, I’m sure.

lol dont be. the ‘insomnia’ is mostly self inflicted, the no wife or kids is a conscious choice after many years in a bad relationship, and so is the avoiding people thing, because most people are just assholes and i can’t be bothered to find the good ones anymore. i let them come to me. such is life.

yeah i do get your point. though with ranked matches, at least 5v5, hitting up to half an hour, that’s like 4 matches a day. idk, it’s just odd to think people only play the equivalent of 1-3 ranked matches a day.

Before when I was younger, I didn’t think 2h per day are a lot. Times changes tho - full time job, living with a girl, sports, friends and so on - the 2h starts to be quite a lot (and I sacrifice on sleep to get them, btw). If I have a kid, I can easy imagine how even 1h per day is a lot. To be a gamer, enjoy games, doesn’t really have anything to do with how much you can play.

Edit: Also as noted by @mima , we are talking about VG and even less people will invest 2h in a mobile game instead of PC/playstation/xbox. Not even worth mentioning to play 5-6h on their phones (+gl to your hands, mine hurts and I don’t reach 5-6h). Tablets are niche, especially for gaming purpose.

1 Like

Unless BP boosts are active throughout the season or sunlight requirements are reduced per level, the only people I see that will manage to finish will be those people in guilds that are level 80+

You’re right about the time you play not equaling being a gamer. I guess what I was trying to express is that I commit myself to games in a way most gamers don’t. I play a lot of in-depth mobile games too, with high production values so these are things that probably make my perspective differ from a lot of other gamers.

If I was still in a relationship or pursuing all of my hobbies instead of just a few, I don’t think I’d be playing games at all like Vainglory, or some of the other games I play, so I do see your point.

lol @ the hands. I used to be a very avid pc gamer when I was younger. They’re used to it. Like definitely 8-10+ hours easily, and free days? Forget about it lol.

In these regards, I could definitely see it as hard for someone who doesn’t have a lot of time to invest to reach the max. I guess that’s part of the angle, you having to ‘work’ for the free rewards if you can’t just pay your way. Again, I think this is also about steering the casual base to investing more in talents to some degree as well. A lot of the events this year were talent mode based before people started making a stink about it. After all, talents and such are seeming to be Vainglory’s bread & butter. Ranked modes don’t have much cash incentive beyond the pings and now hats I guess.

This exactly this. I have all heroes and 75+ skins, a skin for each hero I want to play that is epic SE or LE.

And for many heroes I have 3+ skins.

If I count by blueprints on top of my skins I have more than 90 potential skins. I am mostly a f2p player that used to grind hard.

I keep playing because I am that invested…

Lol I have a total different reason why im still playing.

I put way too much resources (Time and money [when I used to make purchases]) into VG to just give up on the game.

Not only that but the heros are way more balanced than AoVs and Bing Bongs heros & kits.

If VG had a button to refund everything that you made purchases on and give back the time I wasted, I would honestly smash the button and wipe my hands from this game.

On the further note, I never liked BFs skins besides his Dynasty skin (in game not splashart) and i bought his other skins because of the amount of effects it had. I stopped making purchases after they removed the trail.

It’s annoying to buy something that comes with 100 features only to have it removed to 50 features just because it was putting a “strain” <- blatant lie on older devices (Like it doesnt do that already)

1 Like

Me too, which is quite sad. I used to love this game…

4 Likes

I guess you could look at it like semc doing a money grab bit honestly I like that there’s 100 lvls now it gives you more rewards and more stuff to work towards, at least give it a chance before bashing it.

nah… i want to ask now since it’s released…
i can’t even tell how much sunlight needed for a level… somebody has the clue?

Unless smec messed with it, it should be 140 sun for 1 orb

Confirmed. winning a 3v3 with an le skin gives you 140 sun, 2 orbs worth. I leveled up twice by that match, so im assuming early lvls are 70 sun to complete.

This is further suggested by winning a blitz with rare skin anka giving me half a level.

last season 60 orb for a sun.

i’m curious where can i see this orb… and what i mean is how many orb needed for a level

or maybe this season 1level worth 1orb all to level 100?

I’m translating sun directly to level. I’m assuming it will cost more sun to level up as you progress

Considering more than 70% of the players are t6+, it might actually not be that hard. I finish lvl 50 in about 3 weeks. Its not about having a life or no. Its about how many games you win. And if i look at the fb group almost everyones done with lvl 50 except a few. And i dont see the sunlight orbs anywhere? It just shows a bar with numbers. And are you guys sure we need 10 sunlight orbs to go ahead from lvl 40 on? What if its lesser now?
PS- Just played a 5v5 with an L skin and lost. I had double sunlight but i jumped from lvl 2 to lvl 5. I guess the sunlight required is lesser per level than previous season.

It seems sun was rescaled so it won’t be as time consuming. My point was, if the same scaling was carried over, it would be insane to try and get lvl100 with a regular schedule

Yeah true. It gets annoying after some time

I believe it’s still 60 per “orb”. I didn’t even go up one level for a Battle Royale win with a legendary skin, as my first game of the season. I know we don’t have orbs anymore, but I’m trying to make the point that I believe levels 1-50 scale the same as they did last season.