The First Ski Descent of K2

Alex Honnold has nothing on Polish ski mountaineer Andrzej Bargiel.

Some video from the descent is here:

Tl;dr from the article: “If you fall, you die. They won’t even find your body.”

1 Like

I watched this a while ago. As a skiier myself, I thought it was pretty cool. I actually spent all last week on a ski tour, and had a hell of a fun time. I was in Austria, doing about 1100-1200 metres of ascent each day and then back down again, starting from a hut about 2200 metres up.

As for this guy, it is a damn impressive feat, especially as K2 is supposed to be the hardest mountain to climb in the world. However, watching the ski down wasn’t particularly exiting to me, it was mostly just turn, stop, turn, stop, turn, stop. There’s a point when it isn’t skiing so much as sliding down a hill with planks on your feet. I’m not trying to take away from the difficulty of this, but it just doesn’t seem like it would be worth it to me unless you can actually ski down properly.

And as for comparing him to Honnold, they’re both very skilled at their own thing, and both achievements are extremely dangerous and impressive.

I can’t even watch Honnold … I get vertigo just thinking about his climbs.

I watched Free Solo, the last 10 minutes or so of it I was getting that funny feeling too, but at the same time it was pretty amazing. I love the adrenaline rushes I get from doing sports like that (although nowhere near that level). I actually climb quite a bit too, but only indoors, and mostly bouldering.

1 Like

Insane and really hard to achieve. :skier: