So I Guess This Got Released xD

So I happened to check up on VGAS yesterday and learned that they were up to version 1.7 :upside_down_face: And even more interesting, they’ve announced version 2.0 for later this year. Tbqh, I’m kind of shocked – anyone here playing this?

Oh I completely forgot this was even a thing, I looked at it in the AppStore and just checked some recent vids of it, honestly it really doesn’t look too good. I might give it a try at some point tho since I don’t mind brawl stars gameplay

1 Like

I find it weird that SEMC gave up VG to build a Brawl Stars clone and an arena battler … two much shallower games with what (to me) seems like limited potential for growth.

2 Likes

It looks very much like they just gave up on vainglory since they saw too many mistakes and that it wasn’t worth fixing anymore. So instead they decided to copy something successful and popular on the same platform, making a carbon copy of brawl stars with vg characters.

With catalyst black it’s still a strange game, I play it occasionally and it could be good but also it feels strange too. Pay 2 win is still very much there too and that’s rather sad how much they keep going with that, almost everything in this game can actually be obtained or at least boosted by what is their premium currency. It’ll be interesting to see how they handle promotion of this when it gets close to its release date eventually.

1 Like

I still feel that if they pushed forward with VG and changed again the monetisation to mimic PC league/WR while pumping high quality content - they were going to be in A LOT better place than they currently are + VG was going to be alive and kicking. Honest opinion.

2 Likes

I agree, but I still don’t understand that decision: they essentially abandoned a large fan base who would have jumped on a rewritten (or entirely new) “Vainglory 2” in favor of changing genres entirely to make a game about as unlike VG as possible. Did they think that their existing fans would just follow them into the new game? That seems extremely naive, since diehard VG fans = MOBA fans. Or did they think that they’d be able to duplicate VG’s initial success with the new game? That also seems extremely naive, since with VG they had a number of advantages that CB doesn’t have: first mover status, major boost by Apple during a keynote, no real competition for almost 2 years, etc.

This is precisely why I have no interest in trying that game.

1 Like

I think this is exactly right.

1 Like

It is a strange decision, with vg brawl stars I dunno how that’s getting advertised if at all, it very much seems as you said that they’re just hoping their existing fans would just follow them endlessly with both vg brawls stars and cb despite being quite different from what they developed that fan base from.
I dunno how successful they saw vg brawl stars would be if it’s just gonna be a rather bad looking copy running on nostalgia off those still around, or even if it’s trying to just be a quick buck thing, it’s just a very strange and rather poor looking decision.

And with cb, this is why it’ll be interesting as well how they’ll handle the release eventually of cb. Advertising always seemed to be a problem that floated around vg that I wouldn’t surprised it’s a problem they may have with can and the initial success of vg will most likely not happen with cb. I doubt they’ll score advertising from apple like they did with vg as you said with them being in a keynote. Plus now they have an image and aren’t new so their history can be bad for this project as it’s really not a great history they have. I doubt many fans have stayed to see cb as they develop it and I don’t think many would return, so it doesn’t seem like it will have a decent sized player base for the pvp size it is which actually oddly seems like they’ve prepared for this sort of case.

Something I’ve thought for quite awhile once I tried it, it can be a good game, if not made solely by them.

1 Like

Last I heard, SEMC’s marketing team was the same as back in the VG days. Don’t know if that’s still true, but if it is … :man_facepalming: At least they aren’t hampered by some of their self-important (and destructive, as far as community relations go) “community managers” these days.

1 Like

I’m assuming some of those more well known “community managers” have left, I honestly can’t remember anymore the people that have since left them

That is rather hmmm not so great if it is still the same people in the marketing team, I don’t expect them to change much how they’d advertise and such