Flask has been in the game for a while now, ever since the removal of Halcyon potions because of… reasons. It appeared as a free starting item in 3v3 that took up an item slot and now it appears as it’s own special button in 5v5. It provides a sizeable barrier and heal at any point in the game, which is enough to save a life or swing a teamfight.
I hate it, specially in 5v5. Here’s why.
- It’s too powerful. In the early to mid game, whenever I pop my flask from a gank I basically have to say to myself ‘no going aggressive for another 2 minutes. If one person has flask and one doesn’t, there is no question about who will win the fight. Flask is too important for 1v1s and it leads to people playing passively just because they don’t have it.
- It’s too powerful (2). Once you reach late game, if you don’t have flask, you don’t have your incredibly powerful crutch to save you. So do you know what happens? You stall. It’s boring. You just stall till your whole team has flask, then you fight. It slows down the game and it’s boring.
- It’s too powerful (3). Early game heroes can hit flask once and recover half their health, erasing your early game trading in seconds. Then they stall by farming under tower.
- It doesn’t take an item slot. In most MOBAs, you have to actually use item slots for sustain. In VG 5v5, since it has its own button, there are these cheesy builds that pop up (AKA 5 Bit Idris) which have no downsides such as having no space for potions or wards.
- It’s too easy to accidentally activate. I don’t think I should have to explain this one.
- It’s better on some characters than others. This means that part of the balance in the game is tied to flask, which is only meant to be a sustain tool.
- It’s frustrating. The stalling and inability to fight is boring and it slow paced. It sucks.
- It replaced halcyon potions. Halcyon potions are not only a normal solution to the sustain problem, but solve literally every problem I personally have with Flask. Plus, it actually costs money. If it was 50 gold per potion, people would think twice about casually stacking 5 in their inventory, considering that with the same money you could get t1 defence.
Point is, I despise Flask. It think it sucks and I want it removed. Discuss, and give us your points, either for or against.