SEMC announce Catalyst Black (previously Project Spellfire)

:chef’s kiss:

Now you just need to grab the gameplay clips from the youtube vid and toss it into AfterEffects with the masked Nokia template… you’re not busy today, are you?

3 Likes

Pretty basic info. Nice to see continued communication.

The only really new info is that the game will include smaller more arena style battles that follow traditional formats like team TDM and capture the flag (with twists), larger scale longer "war modes. These are the big multiple objective, PVE+PVP battles that they showcased in the first video that will include multiple objectives and ways to contribute, and finally (and this really excites me) “Guardian Modes” that are more PVE focused. This just does not exist on mobile. COOP base defense, or taking objectives from AI forces, man this will be a great change of pace to hop into with friends.

1 Like

I agree, I only hope that they do keep up with the vids cuz it would be extremely disappointing if they cut off all communication like the at the mid to end of VG.

Also they talked about the progression systems and it gives me hope that they further improved on it.

I mean sure. I wouldn’t really derive too much from what VG progression looked like. My only hope for progression is that they aren’t too generous with the content again, specifically cosmetics. To get really cool cosmetics, you should have to pay in a free game, period.

As for the actually gameplay effecting items, it’s important to keep that kind of stuff coming consistently so players always have something new to try.

4 Likes

They kind of dodged the monetization question, promising that they are hearing feedback from the community and well, that is kind of expected as it is still too early for that.

Echoing the thoughts of others, I agree that SEMC should be more aggressive in their monetization, particularly towards skins. Q answered that in the video that more skins will be available through purchase/achievements. I would be okay with any form of monetization as long it is not too P2W (exclusive gear or exclusive primal mask only for those who purchase them). That is why I’m glad when Q said that those gears are actually earnable.

Overall, I’m glad that they are trying to communicate with the community over the questions that are frequently asked, particularly the question on whether trolling is possible in the game or not (eventhough I’m curious on who would troll in this type of game, but hey, it is the internet). Can’t wait to try the game out when it is ready.

2 Likes

It will be P2W most likely, but who knows how heavy? It’s easy to make everything unlockable, simply do it years of grinding to do so. The classical method that many games apply just to market it as “all can be unlocked for free”. Especially P2W games. :wink:

I actually completely disagree with this. Other than the much-despised Talents, SEMC has never gone down the P2W path, as they (rightly) felt that it would result in their game not being taken seriously by pros and serious gamers, which was an audience they attempted to cater to throughout VG’s history.

I don’t see them taking a different approach with CB – plenty of AAA games (e.g., League, Overwatch) have proven that cosmetics (if done well) can be a gold mine. SEMC’s mistake in monetizing VG was simply that they gave away far too much for free, then met with massive pushback when they tried to change course.

1 Like

Did you watch the videos? They said it in them. Otherwise I agree with all you said.

I did, but they said what in them? That the game was P2W? I’ll need a specific reference (video with time mark) because if they said that, I missed it.

Can do, but you would argue it’s not certain (they ofc avoid to put exact names there) and that I am speculating. So I say let’s wait till their blog post is live about that topic and ofc the final game. :laughing:

Otherwise for me the primary monetisations should be from skins (both heroes and even weapons with different effect and so on). Maybe even different looking map with the same layout, just visuals… a lot can be done skins wise, actually. The loadout should be accessible via normal gameplay via reasonable time invested even if you can spend.

Sadly given that I played some really big games with loadouts, normally it’s done horrible with a lot of the good gear behind a pay wall. Here for now we got primals, gear for primals, gear for player, mods for all that gear - to expect nothing to be monetised here is wishful thinking. Especially when they use terms like “every piece of gear will be earnable”.

I just can’t rise my hopes too high, given my experience with similar games and how they talked the same vague way before release and showed similar stuff. :slight_smile:

I completely agree – this is how to monetize properly, imo. Look at Overwatch, for example, or Valorant.

They did say that they were still figuring out how to properly monetize the game, so I suspect that the vagueness is not feigned but real: they’ve not decided on the specifics yet, so there are none to give.

They did not say the game would be pay to win, just that you could pay to unlock gear. There are two paths this could go:

1. Rarer gear is not intentionally stronger, just more interesting with its effects. In that sense while a paying player may have access to more options (just like having more heroes in VG) they will not have any kind of overwhelming advantage.

2. Rarer gear is not just different, but objectively better versions of more common items. I find this unlikely, but it could be done this way.

2 Likes

The session just ended and if anyone wants to ask a question, you can ask me or go to the discord and ask.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Weapons Previews

:easter_thumbsup_3:
6 Likes

This is just… genuinely good insight into the industry. Feels like a podcast.

JXE seems like a really cool and competent guy, like most people at SEMC honestly. Cloaken is proving to be a really great face of the company, I know he was well regarded by the HOTS community.

Look forward to more of these, really cool new direction.

6 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: “Maskborne” from RoboWorld Entertainment

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: “Maskborne” from RoboWorld Entertainment