San Feng: Builds and Playstyle Tips

“Come back! You have more to learn!”

Welcome to the forum-built introduction to San Feng, part of our #guides series! If you’re new to San Feng and would like an overview, you’re in the right place! You’ll find builds, playstyle tips, and other resources by clicking the links below.

BUILDS
PLAYSTYLE TIPS
OTHER RESOURCES
DISCUSSION: 4.0 | 4.2

If you’d like to contribute, please do! These posts are wikis that forum members can edit. Post your builds and playstyle tips! But don’t make it too detailed. The goal is a quick, easy-to-browse overview for players who are new to this hero. You may want to check out our other hero #guides for examples!

This thread is also for discussion, so feel free to reply with comments and questions about San Feng and the builds and tips posted here.

5 Likes

San Feng Builds

Put your San Feng builds below. Please use the item and role emoji for easy browsing.

Utility Lane San Feng :vgroles_carry_mid: :vgroles_carry_top:

CORE:

:vgitem_stormcrown: :vgitem_pulseweave: :vgitem_wartreads: :vgitem_metaljacket:

SITUATIONAL:

:vgitem_celestialshroud: :vgitem_aegis: :vgitem_spellfire: :vgitem_crucible: :vgitem_fountainofrenewal:

Detailed description

This is probably the more viable build for San Feng as not only he is best in lane, but he does not have good WP or CP scaling, so building damage is not too viable on him except for maybe building ONE item. For shield you will want Aegis to more accurately protect you during your ult channel as Shroud can be controlled by the enemy. Spellfire counters healing comps and can definitely help if you do not have many mortal wounds on your team. Crucible is there if you do not need to build damage, but should definitey be built with Shroud. If the enemy team is going triple CP you can switch the Metal Jacket with either Aegis or Shroud and use the extra slot for Fountain for more healing for your team. In team fights you will be an unkillable brick wall that can eat up CC and dishes out loads of damage while you’re doing it.

added by @NinjaBryden, update 4.0

Chonky Stormshockweave Boi :vgroles_carry_top:

CORE:

:vgitem_stormcrown: :vgitem_aftershock: :vgitem_pulseweave:

SITUATIONAL:

:vgitem_celestialshroud: :vgitem_atlaspauldron: :vgitem_wartreads:

Details

Would be the build I’d recommend. The first three items are core items with war treads needing to be progressively built. I like Atlas because when you do get that Ult you can neutralize your opponents even more at the end of it my lowering their attack speed.

He’s a relatively simple hero as you just need to press your A whenever you want to go in and then proceed to press B directly after. He can easily make it out in a 2v1.

Max B and A. Put levels into Ult when it comes around.

added by @SideRaiderr, update 4.0

add more builds here

Other San Feng Resources

Concept Art
Wallpapers
Voice Lines

Official Hero Spotlight:

@NinjaBryden I tried your utility mid lane San Feng and it worked really well! I’m usually a roam/top-laner, so playing mid is always an adventure, and especially playing mid as something other than a long-range mage, but I gave it a go.

I was up against a Samuel, which turned out to be a really good matchup for me. Predicting the double shot A was easy enough, and led to a lot of Tiger’s Bridge / Divine Fist combos, and later, Tiger’s Bridge / Master’s Lesson / Divine Fist combos, which is super effective against a squishy target, and also hilarious because it just takes so damn long to play out.

I played a second match in top lane against a Kinetic, which wasn’t a terrible counter to San Feng, but the player was very very patient and did a great job of not triggering Tiger’s Bridge, which shut down a lot of my damage and harass potential.

:vgitem_stormcrown::vgitem_aftershock::vgitem_pulseweave::vgitem_celestialshroud::vgitem_atlaspauldron: :vgitem_wartreads:

Would be the build I’d recommend. The first three items are core items with war treads needing to be progressively built. I like Atlas because when you do get that Ult you can neutralize your opponents even more at the end of it my lowering their attack speed.

He’s a relatively simple hero as you just need to press your A whenever you want to go in and then proceed to press B directly after. He can easily make it out in a 2v1.

Max B and A. Put levels into Ult when it comes around.

I added your build to the first post wiki. Would you also say San Feng is best in :vgroles_carry_top: and :vgroles_carry_mid: ?

Top lane for sure. He’s able to threaten bot laners pretty well with counter predictions and a guaranteed B with the stun.

I’ve seen an EA player playing him jungle tank , and he didn’t build the aftershock , he went piercing shard then broken myth as the only damage item , it reminded me of the old days broken myth when we used to build it first and with it alone we deal a lot of damage , so I don’t know if broken myth alone is good or not and why san feng .

Should I build malene playtips and style,

1 Like

Yes. I for one would read it. I want to get better with Malene

Go for it!

:point_right: Malene: Builds and Playstyle Tips

Done! Do check it out! <3

30 chars

1 Like

Thanks! I should get a good amount of games in over the next two weeks so I’ll try this out and see how I go :slight_smile:

Sure.

30 characters and looking forward

I was a little surprised San Feng was only the 7th most popular captain in the 4.2 Community Tier List… He seems especially good assisting midlane, since you’re usually up against a mage and have lots of opportunity to take AoE damage for counters and damage chunks. Are you all just way better at avoiding San Feng than I am?

I think he needs a good team , like everyone say avoid his b and don’t attack in his A , but he can do a work around with his team help , like if you use your A one of your teammate or the carry should stay close to you so they misclick and hit you or you get the AOE damage , and the B can be used as a trap not just damage so you force enemy use boots or walk in different path and get caught , i play him as a roam and I do a lot for the team but at the end it’s my team damage decide who is going to win and he dies so fast if no one following , if you going to play San feng in soloq expect that you going to die a lot if your team passive .

Completely agree. I find him extremely annoying as an opponent with a captain build. Very difficult to take down.