"Maskborne" from RoboWorld Entertainment

Is Catamask Blorne something a dad with small bursts of time should try playing? I’ve never been a shoting-game guy, but this is all so juicy and I am feeling left out.

3 Likes

In my experience with it, I’d say it depends. If you want to do full matches starting from 0-0, it’s not really good because they take around 20 minutes or so in ones I’ve played, but if you just want to get in some quick action here and there with no particular intention on seeing an entire match through, much less winning, then I’d say go for it! That is what the join-and-leave as you please system with no real consequences is there for after all.

It looks like it might be perfect for quick gameplay sessions, with the “drop in, drop out” model and there’s some potential for larger scale guild play that VG didn’t have (but perhaps not at the level of tactical complexity of VG? Remains to be seen).

1 Like

Guilds in VG were a ball that SEMC dropped … hard.

Do you have any inkling of how guilds might work in CB? That would definitely interest me.

Nope, no idea. Very interested though. Not that I have time, but I can imagine a world where, so long as Catamask Blorne has party features, guilds could be really fun and dynamic, if only because there could be 10-strong parties at a time, or rotating rosters of guildies occupying long campains over many hours. The coordination might have to be done through discord or other third-party apps, but I can picture something pretty cool, with minimal lift by SEMC. Places like this could be hubbish too. Dunno

1 Like

Keep in mind the only playable mode right now is one of the large scale war modes. They plan on releasing shorter more classic modes like TDM or CTF which are sure to be much shorter you can see through to completion.

Well another lil Easter egg you guys should know is that the primal forms uuse best girl Kraken’s sound effects at least for the red one. I have only play tested mortars so far, but in terms of the usefulness of mortars and stuff, I feel like a load out centered around that has really good objective control and might end up being a top tier weapon in the game tbh. Also the invulnerability ability seems to be the best of all of them. You heal up anyway and it just gives you a potential free fight

2 Likes

I’m unable to play it since I don’t own any modern android devices. I am curious, how expansive does the map feel? While the minimap seems to not display geometry, it seems to be decently large but not massive to me. What’s your impression having played it?

Holy moly this is alot to take in…

1 day of not regularly checking the forums and this avalanche of news just happens.

So this was all just some data mining experiment of how many new people (unaware of SEMC) would download this game?

(Also Maskborne is a really nice name…)

3 Likes

Pretty much.

Another question is that if the game runs roughly with low fps n stuff, wouldn’t that turn off the non-semc players? Maybe they had alpha written down on the ui somewhere to give a heads up.

1 Like

Doesn’t feel as large as you might think it is. It’s a decently large map, but it feels like it would be the size of an average moba map like League’s

It really does look like it was not planned and all the story is damage control. I just fail to see how this is a good move to test anything (or how the positives will be greater than the drawbacks).

Just checked the Play store and was surprised that there are only 95 reviews of Maskborne – with the brouhaha over the weekend, I’d have expected to see many more as more people became aware of the game.

Hard to say much about the star rating with so few reviews – aside from remarking about the fanboys giving the game 5 stars :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Can’t imagine many people stick around with the game who don’t play VG. It’s not it was really intended to see popular use. From what SEMC says it only supports a couple devices well, and literally only has one gamemode, so I’d expect very poor reviews.

2 Likes

Tried for the lolz to sideload on my HTC M8 currently running android 6.0.1 (but custom to the bone and a lot more faster/smoother vs stock, actually totally usable even nowdays if needed and including some gaming) - doesn’t start, I guess they targeted higher API (7 or even most likely android 8). It’s not available in my country via playstore. Can try tonight on my exynos note 9, I guess it will work just fine there. Was more curious how it would run on optimised older hardware as snapdragon 801 legend.

This is precisely why I think releasing it was more likely to do harm than good. I still find the entire episode mystifying.

How would you suggest they gain metrics on players not influenced by VG fans flooding the game the moment they announce anything, and what long term harm would you say was done by a couple thousand people downloading and testing an early build?

I think at this point it might have to be expected that semc is just a little quirky in some ways, not all negative, but not all positive, and certain things are just tough to change, lol.

5 Likes

It can’t be downloaded on unsupported device, can it? For sure it can’t be downloaded outside few countries tho and to review you need it downloaded. I think it’s naive for someone to believe their reasoning about what happened. I am certain it was something else and what they said was nothing more than damage control. Releasing your game like that and unfinished, unpolished and whatnot is absurd even for SEMC.