Under the assumption that a “main” is someone who plays a role at least 2/3 ranked matches, only looking at a sample of players with more than 20 matches analyzed by us:
- On average, a captain main has a TrueSkill of 1 547.63 (765 players)
- On average, a jungle main has a TrueSkill of 1 599.33 (533 players)
- On average, a carry main has a TrueSkill of 1 895.96 (388 players)
The same analysis with players at least at skill tier 7 in their last match:
- captain: 1 906.60 (454 players)
- jungler: 2 242.03 (244 players)
- carry: 2 615.47 (209 players)
We do not get any party information (see https://github.com/gamelocker/vainglory-assets/issues/194#issuecomment-320777656).
The statistics confirm that captain mains have a lower TrueSkill rating on average.
TrueSkill is relative and based on nothing but win and loss. If you let all captain mains play against all carry mains and fill the other positions with players who are perfectly, equally skilled, the carry mains will win slightly more matches than the captains.
There can be multiple reasons for this - just theorizing a few possibilities:
- Most captain mains just fill, unable to play their true strengths.
- There are two large groups of players: “flex” damage mains and captain mains. Only the most dedicated damage mains stick to one of carry or jungle.
- The captain role appeals to players who lack mechanical skill, which, in 3v3, is the key to success for 95% of the players.
- The carry role has the most impact on the game. While a captain is necessary, games are decided by damage dealers.
- It is harder to play the captain role to its full potential with two strangers. The carry and the jungler need to synergize with the captain. A good carry can play with a bad captain better than a good captain can play with a bad carry.
- VainSocial is only being visited by good carry and jungle mains.