Free Ardan Skin for Ranking

I bet you a dollar that those playing ranked matches have bought more ice than those playing casual…

As SEMC who are you going to reward? The causal gamer or the guy paying to play your game?

What on earth are you basing that assumption on?

1 Like

Well i would want to urge the one spending less money to buy something

Based on an assumption that casual gamers invest less time into a game and don’t play as frequently… in order to rank you have to grind, in order to play casual you, well you have to make no commitment to the game at all.

If I use clash of clans as an example, those who play competitively need to invest money to buy gems, those who don’t can’t keep up with those that do. If you want to grind in VG and play ranked you need large hero pools, chances are you’ll have had to make some initial purchase to make this happen (obviously you could grind with glory- but this will be slower).

Open up a poll, ask people if they ranks and if so have they invested ice into the game? Bet you the majority have, if nothing else they’ll have wanted skins etc.

1 Like

If they don’t spend money now another skin isn’t about to make them start.

However drawing people into a competitive environment where they receive rewards for progress might just make them part with money in the long term. Throw in the fact that they need larger player pools for ranked matches (matchmaker etc), it makes sense to encourage people to play this format.

Seriously? Why? Why would anyone want to play with an even worse matchmaker…

Why do you think the matchmaker is worse with casual matches?

1 Like

Lol sadly you’ve got a point…

1 Like

Because people don’t take casual serious. The surrender rates are higher the chance at crappy builds are way higher and the skill disparity is even more obvious. On top of that you are playing for nothing, you gain nothing from casual.

The game already lacks a sense of progress and without a rank that feeling only intenisfies tenfold. .

What does ranked play get me? A little icon on my screen that almost no one can see? Saltier players? Longer queues? Repeated dodges during draft?

No thanks.

FWIW, when Vainsocial was alive, they computed a “matchmaking quality” rating based on the TrueSkill scores of the players involved in every match. There didn’t seem to be any significant difference between the quality of ranked matches and casual matches prior to 3.0. (Big caveat: Vainsocial never processed any data after 2.12, so the new matchmaker in 3.x may be performing quite differently.)

Also, I utterly disagree with your statement that “people don’t take casual serious.” Maybe you play with different sorts of people, but I’ve not played with too many people in casual who aren’t playing to win.

3 Likes

You do play on NA server land of upvotes…

As of now ranked matches is going to get you a skin… a skin you won’t have because your playing casual.

Ask yourself this, why would SEMC encourage causal over ranked? Why reward people not to play competitively?

Can’t think of many games which encourages people to take the game less seriously. And yes rank is less serious, there are no repercussions from playing badly or losing match and there are no rewards for winning. Aren’t many games where there isn’t a linear reward for progressing.

1 Like

SEMC doesn’t give two :poop:s about what mode people are playing as long as they’re spending money on the game, I guarantee you that. Most matches are NOT ranked, so if they want to make money, they need to have rewards for people who aren’t playing ranked.

2 Likes

I think a lot of the complaints with rank are due to the lack of players - long wait times, large gaps in skill. If getting more people involved helps with that, then great. Casual game modes don’t suffer as much due to more people playing them and being less competitive by their nature.

1 Like

I think this is exactly why SEMC are trying to encourage ranked play: they are trying to improve the experience in ranked for those people who play it. But that will ALWAYS be the minority of the player base.

2 Likes

I just hope the player base gets large enough for casual draft games to become possible…

1 Like

And I guarantee you that people who play ranked are more likely to spend money. The more time ppl sink into a game the more likely they are to commit money to a game… casual doesn’t require a time commitment therefore doesn’t require people to spend money.

I can’t think of any other game where casual play is rewarded over ranked/competitive play, if you can point me towards it please.

What are you basing that “guarantee” on? I think you are making assumptions, but if you have something to back that up, I’d be very interested to hear it.

Lol, you might need to reread what I wrote. I didn’t say anything about rewarding casual players over players who participate in ranked play, just that there need to be rewards for players who don’t – which is the majority of the player base of most games.

Okay how much do you personally spend on the game?

Every game I’ve ever played (I’ve played high level competitive games / competitions) I find competitive player spending money on the game. Like any hobby people who invest time into something are likely to invest money into it as well.

You offer nothing to counter this argument. Why would someone who plays casually and probably less than a competitive player spend more. Logically that doesn’t make any sense.

Am I able to prove this? Clearly not I don’t have access to SEMC finances it’s not something game houses publish. All I’ve got is twenty years of gaming experience and my own personal experiences.

Ps - casual players get rewarded, it’s called glory etc etc etc… SEMC have decided to reward ranks play, tell me why this might be?

As I figured, you’re basing it on nothing but your own beliefs and assumptions.

As for “offering nothing to counter” your argument … you’re the one making the assertion that ranked players spend more. The burden is on you to support that, not on me to disprove it. Lol

1 Like