Flight Simulation

Sightseeing in Ohio this afternoon! In the top image, I’ve just taken off from Clermont County Airport (I69), home of Eastern Cincinnati Aviation and the location of my very first flight lessons many years ago!

The scenery looks realistic because I’ve installed new scenery textures based on orthographic photos, which are overlaid on the terrain. (It makes things look SOOOO much better, plus it’s easier for a VFR pilot like me to find the airports! :laughing:) The upgraded scenery doesn’t affect frame rate, but it sure does consume disk space! (Over 400 GB for just California and the Mid-Atlantic states!!!)

1 Like

Over 400GB??? That’s a lot, I don’t know a video game can take that much disk space

That’s for this photorealistic scenery, which is entirely optional. :wink:

2 Likes

Some images from a couple of today’s flights through scenic Southern California. I keep meaning to take some screenshots on approach to the airport, but I get kind of busy with preparing for landing and I keep forgetting! (It’s exactly like flying in the real world in that respect!!!)

Also

Yes, that’s Ruby’s emblem on the tail :rwby_ruby:

1 Like

Showed my daughter the sim this morning, and we went for a quick flight around SoCal to the northwest of LA. The weather was gorgeous for sightseeing because I set it that way :wink:

Decided to take a sunset flight down to LA tonight. Here, I’m following the coast below Santa Barbara. The brightly light airport off the right wing, adjacent to the ocean, is Naval Air Station Point Mugu.

Just coming into the Los Angeles basin, with Santa Monica in front of me and the brilliant lights of LAX in the distance on the right. (The lighting in the sim is a little odd, as the airport is visible much farther away than the city.)

On final for Runway 6R at LAX. I’m a little to the left of the centerline, but worse, I’m above the glideslope, as indicated by the four white lights immediately to the left of the runway lights. (If I were on the proper glidepath, they would show two red and two white lights.) Of course, the runway is nearly 11,000 feet long, so getting on the ground wasn’t a problem – even though the landing was kind of awkward. :grimacing:

Found an entirely new thing to occupy my remaining spare time: creating virtual instruments for use with X-Plane! There’s an amazing piece of software called Air Manager from Sim Innovations that allows you to use image files and Lua scripts to recreate in software existing instruments or even fashion your own. The Air Manager software manages the connection to your flight simulator (it works not only with X-Plane but also with Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D), which doesn’t even have to be on the same machine as the Air Manager software.

This Cessna 172 panel was created entirely within Air Manager, and when the simulator is running, every instrument you see works exactly as the real one would:

Here’s a look at the Air Manager interface showing the built-in Lua code editor:

Here’s the bit that convinced me to buy the software ($70 US): you can use an Arduino to connect hardware such as switches and rotary encoders to replicate an instrument in hardware! As my goal is to eventually build a replica of a DA62 cockpit (I changed my original goal from a DA42 once I saw the DA62 cockpit!), I’ll need to be able to do this once I start building!

Dude this is the coolest thing ever. Just so you know.

1 Like

COCKPIT HARDWARE - Virtual Fly G1000

My desk got significantly more crowded this evening – FedEx finally got me the Christmas present I bought myself on Black Friday :innocent: The Virtual-Fly G1000 is a near-exact replica of the Garmin G1000 primary flight display, audio panel, and multifunction display, and it provides not only the more realistic experience of always having the flight instruments right in front of you but also helps to eliminate the decidedly unrealistic experience of having to use the mouse to push buttons and twiddle knobs in the cockpit.

Virtual-Fly sells a beautiful desktop stand for the system, and you can see how the displays are mounted in the 2nd picture above. The monitors are simply standard XVGA displays, and they’re connected via HDMI to my video card. The bezels – with all their knobs and buttons – connect via USB 2 to the PC.

Setup was a breeze, as X-Plane immediately recognized the system and mapped all the buttons to their proper functions. It took just a few minutes to get the built-in G1000 emulator set up to use the new displays, but once I did, you can see the result :point_down:

Wired up (not very neatly) a little prototype of the gear and flaps indicators on the DA62 panel to see if I could get them working with X-Plane … and after a little bit of coding in Air Manager, they work perfectly! (I even added the proper indication when the “Gear/Fire Test” button is pushed – that doesn’t work the way it should on the simulated instrument panel, and it has bothered me :rbgwen:)

Time to start collecting parts to build my panel …

For those interetsted here are the actual indicators in the real aircraft:

After a really busy week, I finally got a chance to do some flying today on my day off! I took a leisurely flight down the SoCal coast to sightsee and to practice with the Garmin autopilot. Beautiful weather today, though it was a little bumpy at times at the altitudes at which I was flying (3000-5000 ft MSL).

Were you flying in a simulation or real life?

In the sim :sunglasses:

Real life flying is coming soon … My New Year’s resolutions for 2020 are (1) get my medical, (2) get current again, and (3) get my instrument rating. A bonus would be getting my multi-engine rating as well.

These goals are hard to achieve, at least under my perspective , hope you all the best and I would love to see your real life flying pictures!

1 Like

Came across this really excellent ebook on the Apple Books Store. If you want to fly the DA62 (in real life or in a simulator such as X-Plane), this is $20 US well spent.

Flew from Scottsdale, AZ (KSDL) to Las Vegas (KLAS) this evening to try out a new bit of software (xVision) that tunes X-Plane’s shaders for more appealing visuals. Great flight, even with the default scenery! xVision does make everything look nicer, I think!

Btw, my landings are getting better*, but my approaches are still sloppy, mostly because I haven’t gotten good at figuring out when & how to change the views (to look out the side windows, for instance).

*Lies :point_down:

At least the DA62 floats. :grimacing:

Bruh, you actually managed to get me… I was like “Damn, Hazel out here doin some work”.

Until I read the next sentence…

Also I like your set up. It reminds me of my younger times when the Ps2 had a whole mock/controller wheel with gas peddles to control a car. :kraken_happy_t3:

2 Likes

Worked on the paint scheme for a while tonight: the secondary color is going to be a silver/gray, and I finally started on it by painting the wings. (If you compare them to the lower part of the engine nacelles you’ll see the difference.) I also changed the prop spinners to a polished aluminum finish, then I spent a lot of time finding and fixing defects (i.e., parts that should have been colored but weren’t) in the red primary color. Last but not least, I added Ruby’s emblem to the right side of the vertical stabilizer to match the one on the left side.

I’m pretty happy with it so far. I want to add a metallic look to the paint, but X-Plane uses a weird file format for its texture maps, so getting the result I want is not as straightforward as I’d like.

1 Like

So I thought I’d show a little bit about how technology has improved situational awareness and safety in general aviation in the past 10 years. All of these images are from a simulated flight between Las Vegas (KLAS) and Los Angeles (KLAX) that I made this afternoon. The first image shows what my “flight deck” looks like for a typical flight. Over on the left, my iPad is running ForeFlight and is showing my planned route overlaid on a VFR sectional chart. In the center are the Garmin G1000 Primary Flight Display showing the flight instruments and the Multifunction Display showing navigation information. On the far right is my StreamDeck which lets me press buttons to do stuff like raise and lower the flaps and landing gear so I don’t have to try to remember key commands.

The view above is from a few miles out of Las Vegas, just after reaching my cruising altitude of 10,500 ft MSL.

With about 30 minutes to go, there’s one last mountain range to cross, and it includes the highest point on my route. Even though I planned my cruise altitude to clear the peaks by over 1000 ft, they look a little concerning from here. How to be sure I’m going to be okay?

For one thing, I have terrain alerting turned on on the G1000, and the MFD (the right screen) isn’t showing any warnings, which is reassuring by itself. But I can also use ForeFlight to cross check and get even more information about what’s ahead:

Here, I’ve activated ForeFlight’s “synthetic vision” feature, which gives me a virtual 3D view of the terrain around me. If the terrain is green, there are no hazards at or near my current altitude. Straight ahead looks fine, though there’s one tall peak (shown in yellow) that could be a problem were I to deviate to the left of my course.

ForeFlight can also display a vertical profile of my flight that updates in real time, and that’s what is shown above. As planned, I’ll clear any terrain on my route by 1400 ft. So, time to enjoy the views!

Hope you enjoyed the flight! :man_pilot:

Important note

If this were a REAL flight, I’d have planned to cross those mountains at a much higher altitude, because an engine failure in the mountains could quickly turn into a catastrophe, even in a twin engine aircraft.

Although all twins are theoretically able to climb with one engine inoperative, there are many circumstances where you might not be able to do so and in fact, actually lose altitude even with the remaining engine at full power. Pilots often remark that that the good thing about engine failures in a twin is that the remaining engine will always get you to the scene of the crash.

With more altitude, I’d have more options for places to land as well as more time to troubleshoot the failed engine and possibly get it restarted.

Finally finished the repaint of the right engine today! For comparison, see this post

It’s my day off, and I’ve just arrived at KJWN in Nashville, headed over to preflight the aircraft for an early morning flight to KTRI – the weather is great here, not so good in east Tennessee at the moment …

1 Like