EdAWACS Hero Rework: Solaris

Welcome to the Vainglory Hero Spotlight and today we will be looking at Solaris, a former human now blessed as the Herald of Unyielding Valiance

Creator’s Note

Solaris was one of the earlier champions I designed and therefore, has a special place in my heart. However, the valiant Herald has not stood the test of time and is in dire need of a rework. The problems with Solaris was that his passive and abilities didn’t feel that special or engaging. Solaris’s old passive also didn’t quite fit for his playstyle. Also, there were problems with Solaris’s lore as a Herald that had given me headaches ever since. He was an all-powerful divine angel essentially who was extremely biased and shortsighted. Solaris was really a bland overbearing angel of order archetype that was quite dull and embarrassing. He was just unlikable with elements of his lore vague and unexplained and no real backstory. He was also massively too powerful in the lore compared to in-game going into almost divine proportions. This rework will hopefully bring Solaris up to par with other warriors and make it more engaging to play with while also toning down his divinity and power level lorewise.

Little is known about the Solaris’s origins aside from stories and legends. One tale tells of a valiant commander leading his army into battle against the malignant Churn. He pushed on despite the odds even when other commanders had ordered a retreat against elemental destruction. In the course of the battle, he slew countless churn beasts with the fury of the radiant sun. It was said that even the fluid from the slain Churn monsters on his blade was steaming. While wisps of emerald fumes choked the landscape, he seemed to be the sole light among his soot-covered and weary unit of soldiers illuminating the way.

Because the commander had led from the front, he was eventually grievously wounded from the seemingly endless tides of the Churn, yet refused treatment and pushed on. His unyielding spirit and courage inspired his man and women to join him and resolve to push on and eventually, the Churn was pushed back and the crisis averted. With his final sword stroke, however, the commander also drew his last breath. His men found his body slumped against the flag standard and tearfully, buried him underneath it.

The next morning the sun’s brilliance illuminated the carnage and destruction of the battlefield, filled with slaughtered soldiers and slain Churnbeasts. Yet the men and women without their commander were surprised to awaken to plants germinating from the earth and flowers blossoming. How could this be possible? the toxic bodily fluids of the Churnbeasts should have rendered the very earth itself corrupted and unable to sustain life, yet what had been a muddy twisted wasteland was now a green meadow.

Confused the soldiers turned their attention to the tattered Flag Standard where their fallen commander now rested under. The mud-drenched tattered flag was now glowing as bright as the rising sun as it flapped in the wind. The glow was too much that many averted their eyes as the Flag’s luminosity increased in intensity, then it ceased. Some of the soldiers later on in their lives claimed that they thought they could see an outline of their commander in that radiance standing next to the flag saluting them before vanishing. The commander’s true name was never discovered but the name Solaris was given because of sun’s unusual brilliance that morning.

Whether or not the story and legends that followed afterward throughout the ages were truth or fiction is up for debate, with the recent resurgence of the Churn and the Nether, it’s not uncommon for soldiers going into battle to pray to Solaris to aid them in battle.

During some battles, men and women on either warring side have also reported sightings of an ornate winged humanoid clad in golden armor that radiated with the brilliance of a rising sun.

Others reported armies cut down by swords of intense luminosity after a flash of white light.

Still more are tales of tyrannical empires that threatened peaceful countries unable to fight as their troops dropped their weapons in agony due to a searing supernatural heat that burned their palms.

Could the once human commander still be watching over soldiers everywhere as he once did eons ago?

On the Rise, Solaris is a durable warrior who leads the charge against the enemy, wearing down his enemies. Those who challenge the Herald of Valiance will be confronted by his Dominion, breaking their will to fight.

HEROIC PERK: Heraldic Ascension

When Solaris strikes an enemy with an ability and follows up with a basic attack within 1.5 seconds of each other, he will gain damage reduction based on enemies within a 6-meter radius. Can only proc once per ability.

• Damage reduction = 20% (+ 10% per hero). Lasts 0.5 seconds.

BASE STATS: Level 1-12

Health: 726-2325
Energy: 280-534

WEAPON: 75-175
ATK SPEED: 100%-136.3%

ARMOR: 30-85
SHIELD: 20-60

RANGE: 3.2
MOVESPEED: 3.4

FIRST ABILITY: Rally the Faithful

Solaris tosses a javelin in the targeted direction dealing damage to everything along its path.

• Upon reaching the end of its range, the javelin transforms into a Flag Standard that lasts for 5 seconds.

• If Rally the Faithful damages at least ONE enemy; Solaris can reactivate the ability within 1 second to dash towards the Flag Standard dealing damage to all enemies 3 meters around his destination.

Overdrive: Solaris’s Flag Standard lasts 10 seconds.

Cooldown: 20s/19s/18s/17s/15s

Energy Cost: 100/110/120/130/140

Damage: 80/135/190/245/300 Crystal Ratio: 160% | Weapon Ration: 80%

Damage (Dash): 30/70/110/150/190 Crystal Ratio: 110% | Weapon Ratio: 40%

Range: 7/7/7/7/10

SECOND ABILITY: Inquisition

After 0.5 seconds Solaris releases a pulse of light that damages and MAIMS all enemies in a 5-meter area around him reducing their attack speed for 2 seconds

• If this ability damages at least one enemy, for the next 6 seconds Solaris is able to basic attack while MOVING

• If Solaris casts Inquisition near his Flag Standard, his next 3 basic attacks deal amplified damage

Overdrive: Each enemy Solaris hits with a basic attack will reduce the cooldown of Rally the Faithful by 1 second.

Cooldown: 12s/12s/12s/12s/12s

Energy Cost: 40/50/60/70/80

Damage: 100/140/180/220/260 CP Ratio: 140%

Damage Amp: 5%/10%/15%/20%/25%

Attack Speed Reduction: 10%/15%/20%/25%/35%

ULTIMATE: Dominion Radiance

Solaris creates a luminous circular zone (with a 6-meter radius) on the ground around him that REVEALS all enemies ENTERING or INSIDE the zone and slows them by 55% for 2 seconds.

While inside the circular zone, All of Solaris’s basic attacks will CLEAVE enemies in a 4-meter cone and the cooldown of Inquisition is lowered by 2 seconds

• If Solaris casts his ULTIMATE around his Flag Standard, Dominion Radiance will also DISARM all enemies entering or leaving the circular zone for a short duration. This is indicated by a field of swords that forms inside the circular zone

Cooldown: 100/90/80

Energy Cost: 100/200/300

Zone Duration: 3s/4s/5s

Cleave Damage: 58%/64%/70%

Disarm Duration: 1.4s/ 1.7s/ 2s

Thanks for watching the Solaris Hero Spotlight, Vainglory is currently running in Beta testing on PC, Please visit our website and social media for more information, and see you on the Rise.

4 Likes

Alrighty then.

I think the kit is pretty good, but I’d change two things about it.

1. His passive. Just me personally, I despise passives with a CD. They force you to wait around and avoid fighting when they’re down, similar to flask (because fighting without flask late game WILL get you killed, let’s be honest here). 15 seconds doesn’t seem like too high of a CD, but I want to propose an alternative.

If Solaris strikes an enemy with an ability and a basic attack within 1.5 seconds of each other, he will gain damage reduction based on enemies within a 7 meter radius. Can only proc once per ability. Damage reduction = 20% + 10% per hero. Lasts 0.5 seconds.

1. The ultimate is too powerful at higher ranks. Rank 3 damage amp should be 20% and the disarm duration of 2.4 seconds is too long. I would suggest 1.4/1.7/2. I would also either weaken the passive or remove it completely, but this is mainly because of the way I changed the heroic passive. Maybe change it from damage reduction on AAs to CC duration reduction?
1 Like

I think your version of the passive is more fun and engaging compared to what I thought up. As for the passive effect of Dominion Radiance, it was really just to solidify his position as a warrior in Vainglory so I can just remove the passive from the ultimate or add soemthing else.

The ult seems a bit strong especially in this WP meta, but the overall hero design is actually REALLY cool and I would love to see a hero similar to this added to VG. I think slowing as well as potentially disarming enemies in the circle is way too strong and should stick to being a passive damage buff which on it’s own is already really good. Maybe add a bit of fortified health per second instead of slowing and stuff, but that could also pose a problem by making everyone hard to kill when their damage is already amped. Maybe make it so that your team gets a brief barrier if they are within the AOE upon activation. The B honestly seems a bit too good of a counter to attack speed heroes and makes Atlas useless. Maybe make it briefly blind enemies since it is a pulse of light. It prevents them from attacking far away allies that can be a good tool to reposition or save your allies in a chase. The WP ratio on the A seems too high considering the range and the powerful teleport effect it has. Other than that I think the A is a cool design overall.

1 Like

What about now NinjaBryden and @ThePinkOtter? how does Solaris look to you know? I decide to focus more on him being a jungler than a support.

Also this is what Solaris’s ultimate would look like when cast near his flag standard.

unlisted per request