Defence item Nerfs

The changes do the complete opposite of everything you just wrote. Fountain and Atlas are unchanged so Roams have more defense by comparison than Laners. Ardan early game is a lane bully who can BfB from far away, slow, and tank any incoming damage. Catherine late game is nearly unkillable at the 20 min mark. Phinn is a less reliable tank now because he was one of the few Roams who bought MJ. Roam Fortress is even more bursty and will lifesteal more because of the defense decreases.

@Xaldarian I’ve been building Gwen with TB SB TM TM JB SH, in that order. Aside from basic boots to begin, I buy straight offense until T3 boots. Haven’t had less than a 15 KDA, aside from the one time I tried to be cute and go CP (rip me, I’m too aggressive for CP)

Defense is over rated currently, and the crit meta is going to become really aggravating, once people catch on.

Have you seen my gwen thread? I discuss my own build there

Sometimes I fell like there no point of me getting FOR because I miss because teammates get 3 shot on top of that SF buff makes FoR virtually useless

2 Likes

I’m sorry your first statement makes no sense. Just because people are less tanky doesn’t make you more tanky it makes THEM LESS TANKY. Nothing you said is anything different then what Ardan can do in 3v3 so no he is still not more tanky when 4dps are at him. Same thing with Catherine you can argue that they’re more people so Catherine is able to stun more people but the truth is if your team is organized Catherine will die immediatly if she gets even close to that crowd not allowing to build up stacks. But the truth is half of the teams are on the less organized side so my statement is kinda irrelevant in reality about Catherine but in higher play she will be more useless. Also no amount of Lifesteal can stop the burst from 4 people, not even 100%.

1 Like

“By comparison” if you lower the defense of MJ which Laners buy and do not change the defense of Atlas which Roams buy, then Roams have become tankier by comparison to Laners.

I think the Devs are trying to avoid a fountain stacking meta by including so many sources of mortal wounds and lower defenses. It devalues the 3 heroes that have MW in their kit and fountain. I really like that fountain isn’t a first buy for every Roam. Aegis is still an amazingly useful item, but slumbering husk should see more consideration. It actually creates space for easy fountain timing.

This isn’t about comparison, this is about the facts. There are 4 dps one tank and low defense items, you’re not able to defend yourself.

If you lower the defense for those 4dps heroes then you lower how long they can survive. Less survival time means less total damage output. Roam items have not had their defense lowered. I broke down your hero based complaints. Roams are also lane gankers on the Rise which provides them with more gold early on than on the Fold. Invest in early defense if you want more tankiness. Most fights are still 2v2 or 3v3 early and mid game. No hero should just tank all incoming damage 5v5 in the late game. If you are tanking damage from 4dps heroes, then maybe you are in the wrong place. I’m guessing you didn’t have access in 2.12 and are just knee-jerking to a new experience.

Slumbering husk fortifies a lot of hp so the actual barrier provided. The total potential damage mitigation is higher on SH than it is on Aegis. Aegis’ usefulness comes from the secondary non damage effects such as cc that get blocked. SH requires no godlike reflexes but can’t be activated either. Both have up and downsides.

Playing a squishy carry I prefer SH over Aegis in almost any situation.

I’m guessing you’re just playing a completely different game from me because everything you’re just saying doesn’t happen and my matches. Sorry for wasting your time because everything I say just goes completely passed you and into whatever matches you have experienced. I guess we just have a completely different perspective on what’s going in matches.

Phones simply to slow now, mobility is key in 5v5, his ability to traverse the map is going to make him the worst possible pick.

The nerf to defense confuse me. Given the state of 5v5, defense is already a lackluster option since mispositioning means instant delete with the vast array of crowd controls in Vainglory. Thus, most carries already tend to go for 4 offense items and reflex block, since defense is less impactful and relevant with multiple damage threats from the enemy teams. Dive comps are prevalent but defense is not essential to their core. The lack of developer’s note on this change doesn’t help either.

3 Likes

I have no idea too why they nerf defence item. 5 guys gank 1 roamer would be easy deleted in a single second :frowning:

Only SH is worthwhile because it gives you survivability against burst.

True, But i tend to prefer the reflex block for the CC.

As things stand I don’t see any reason to buy armour in game. It gives no health buff, no reflex block… if your buying one defence item it’s not going to be armour.

Aegis provides armour and shield, provides health and a reflex block its far superior. SH gives huge health buffs along with its perk buff it’s going to be better than a MJ.

Honestly think SEMC need to revisit this as

1 Like

Completely in agreement.
We need armour to have baseline damage reduction much like Grumpjaws perk. 20% allround damage reduction would be nice.