Cloud9 has been disbanded

Unless I’m missing something the only competitor on mobile with more downloads is mobile legends which is currently in a law suit over copyright from riot games. Also, to my knowledge all the joystick lovers seem to be migrating from mobile legends to AoV from tencent who happens to be involved with riot games.

Heroes of Chaos or whatever it’s called has 10 million downloads but they achieved that years ago and it is now a ghost town thanks to better made Mobas.

The only game I would be worried about taking over esports which isn’t in the same genre is rules of survival. Very competitive and has already hit 100+ million players across all platforms in a matter of 2 months.

Heroes arena may of recently jumped up in users after paying for a Superbowl ad but I’m assuming those users will figure out there are better Mobas.

In my opinion the only game to worry about is AoV as its the best joystick mobile available right now and has serious reputation thanks to league of legends and riot games.

However, if valve ever decides to bring dota with its darkish style like Vg to mobile I’d start getting worried.

1 Like

RoS is a PC port game tho…
OT:Also, VG lives if they make the UI wayyy smoother. Right now it needs some touching up, like the party tab, and doesn’t need like 5 currencies. I tried league and the currencies are a lot simpler and fulfill the same goals.

No it’s not? RoS was made for mobile and then later PC… If you mean it’s similar to PubG which is available on PC and Xbox then yes it is. Tencent the same people who made aov also teamed up with blue whole to bring pubg to mobile. It’s currently under development.

Nah, I wouldn’t really worry that much. The 100M+ players is mostly due to the fact that it’s available on more than one platform and it was released at the height of popularity for the battle royale styled games. It’ll die down with the genre soon enough.

It does seem that a lot of the VG pros and popular YouTubers are migrating to RoS.

I’m personally maxed rank on RoS but I enjoy playing both games… They both give me a challenge that i crave. Besides, theres nothing better then winning a chicken dinner on RoS.

RoS is certainly a much more brutal game that you can’t blame on crappy teammates unless you actually play in a team.

Its off season for VG - most of them that I know are playing both and plan to continue playing both.

Because its a different genre its not really competition.

2 Likes

I prefer solo on the new map. 300 players on 1 map, a win feels good lol.

I get that, but it seems like they are more into RoS ATM.

For instance, Flash is still streaming 3v3 on his guide to solo queue, because 5v5 doesn’t have ranked, and quite frankly I’d say more are into 5v5 who have it. Thus it makes his RoS stuff look more captivating. So 3v3 to 5v5 transition is making RoS look like the more favored game. Especially because a lot of the people hyping it now were primarily VG players.

Why did they back out of Vg right before 5v5? Whats the real reason?

No real reason has been given out.

I think I know why.

I’m pretty good at reading people’s faces and feelings. Cloud 9 are first, people just like us, before they are E-sport elite gamers.

They are young and free to do whatever they please. From watching Gabevizzle stream online i got the feeling they arn’t a close-nit team on a personal level. They just play for the money.

Gabevizzle even admitted that playing VG started as just something fun to do. Never even imagined he would rise to the top.

All these seemingly unrelated points, i think are just to highlight the human factor in making the decision to disband.

I don’t think it was anything related to VG as a game or 5v5. I think it was a personal decision based on their own lives.

Its a whole wide world out there full of endless possibilities…

This was an org based decision not a player based decision.

There was a year left on their contracts and in this scenario the players would have had to pay a buy out clause if they had wanted to leave.

I am not sure why C9 decided to pull the plug - it might be that the competitive year doesn’t start until June this year (thats a long time to pay players to train for orgs to fund) it might be due to some change with the franchise scheme, it might be some other as yet undisclosed to us change or reason. But I don’t think the players chose this.

Having hung out with the team, albeit briefly, at the Worlds afterparty they seemed quite together as a team, disappointed by their performance, sure, but definitely good mates.

1 Like

I heard that cloud9 was going into aov worlds tournament. Thanks to being made by tencent they offered a half a million dollar prize pool straight up.

This is such a big hit for vg to be left by a giant org like C9.
Now i just hope that TSM sign gabevizzle and Oldskool, to create all star team

Cloud 9 teamed up with Tribe… DAYM… thats one powerhouse of a team…

Very nice.

Well SEMC started sponsoring some bigger streamers, so hopefully that brings in newer players and I REALLY hope VG grows more

i want to see Tribe vs Renegades. Make it happen. @idmonfish

1 Like