Grumpjaw: Builds, Playstyle, and Discussion

“Eat time!”

Welcome to the forum-built introduction to Grumpjaw, part of our #guides series! If you’re new to Grumpjaw and would like an overview, you’re in the right place! You’ll find builds, playstyle tips, and other resources by clicking the links below.

BUILDS
PLAYSTYLE TIPS
OTHER RESOURCES
DISCUSSION: 4.3 | 4.7

If you’d like to contribute, please do! These posts are wikis that forum members can edit. Post your builds and playstyle tips! But don’t make it too detailed. The goal is a quick, easy-to-browse overview for players who are new to this hero. You may want to check out our other hero #guides for examples!

This thread is also for discussion, so feel free to reply with comments and questions about Grumpjaw and the builds and tips posted here.

Grumpjaw Builds

Top Lane Grumpjaw :vgroles_carry_top:

CORE:
:vgitem_poisonedshiv: :vgitem_breakingpoint: :vgitem_shiversteel: :vgitem_wartreads:

SITUATIONAL:
:vgitem_crucible:

Early- and mid-game strength, utility meat-shield late

Core offensive items are PS and BP. I personally throw in SS because of the boast to att speed, the additional slow and the health bump. But beyond this that should be enough DMG early to mid game to hold your lane. In fact your perk combined with the ridiculous att speed from B and the items listed above should see you dominate the top lane.

The rest of your build is going to be very situational, but you’ll want to counter build. His late game effectiveness in team fights will diminish (you’ll be a meat shield), so I’d personally suggest you look at team wide utility with WT being a no brainier.

added by @Glowarm, update 4.7

add more builds here

Grumpjaw Playstyle Tips

When using Grumpjaw’s ult, it’s tempting to swallow an enemy, then run back to your turret. If you use the ult in the middle of a crowded teamfight though, it’s usually better to stay and fight while the enemy team is short one player, rather than leave the fight yourself, which keeps the odds even.

added by @HipsterSkaarf , update 4.8

add more tips here

Other Grumpjaw Resources

Wallpapers
Voice Lines
Lore

Official Hero Spotlight:

Are there any Grumpjaw fans in the forum? I used to play him in top lane with a :vgitem_stormcrown: :vgitem_aftershock: :vgitem_tensionbow: build, but that was a long time ago. What are the best builds now? Utility? WP?

Bumping this because I just drew Grumpjaw for vginktober and now I’m really anxious to give that hungry boi a try again! I used to love him in top lane, but maybe he’s better in jungle this update? And what are the best builds for him right now?

Shameless promotion

2 Likes

At higher tiers Grump is a meta top lane hero who plays well into virtual all WP bot laners (there are exceptions, Skye for instance), personal view is that this is his best position.

Core offensive items are PS and BP. I personally throw in SS because of the boast to att speed, the additional slow and the health bump. But beyond this that should be enough DMG early to mid game to hold your lane. In fact your perk combined with the ridiculous att speed from B and the items listed above should see you dominate the top lane.

The rest of your build is going to be very situational, but you’ll want to counter build. His late game effectiveness in team fights will diminish (you’ll be a meat shield), so I’d personally suggest you look at team wide utility with WT being a no brainier.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Cool, that sounds pretty straight-forward! I hope you don’t mind - I added your build to the wiki post earlier in the thread so others can see it easily if they stumble on this thread. You might want to add an item or two to the situational section. I popped in crucible, but wasn’t sure if you’d recommend something like pulseweave or husk, or even fountain.

It very situational, so teams with large aeo stuns might necessitate a Crucible, it’s very dependent on the enemy composition. The SS isn’t necessarily core item, but I find it has a lot of synergy with Grump (he becomes impossible to shake off) and it boosts his attack speed which works well with his B. So it’s something I build vs certain hero’s.

What I believe separates good players from bad players (with the exception of mechanics) is the ability to adapt your build based on the enemy composition.

1 Like