Best movies you've seen

i’m running low on movies to watch and would love some pretty good recommendations

Depends on what you like… What We Do in the Shadows is absolutely great (it’s a vampire mockumentary), and they’re making a television series out of it soon, so this could be a good time to check it out.

Goodbye, Lenin is another personal fave, set in East Germany around the time of 1989 revolution. It’s kind of a tragicomedy, I guess you’d call it. Definitely worth a watch.

oooo perfect. i’m still an apprentice at movies so i’d accept anything from any genre.
by the way, have you got any philosophy ones? i love philosophy more than anything

Yeah - what are you interested in? I just watched Triple Frontier, a Netflix film, it has a decent cast including Ben Affleck, and without giving a spoiler, it has some super surprising moments. I can usually predict outcomes/happenings in a film, but there were a few stressful and “I did not see that coming” moments. It’s an action movie. Former US soldiers looking to use their skills on their own to help themselves out.

Philosophy movies… Waking Life springs to mind.

Oh I almost forgot - Children of Men is really great. It’s not about philosophy, specifically, but still very thought-provoking. Wholeheartedly recommended.

oh, also also - Burn After Reading is another great one. Anything by the Coen brothers, really.

1 Like

comradery’s pretty great, and nobody dislikes a good plot twist. i’ll add it to the list, but if you’ve got something else, shoot!

Oh, and another - Kurosawa’s Stray Dog is great. It’s about a cop in post-war Japan who loses his gun and starts slipping into the criminal world to find it again. It’s set in a heatwave and I’ve never seen a movie that depicts stifling heat so well as this.

Kurosawa’s Yojimbo is another classic.

Oh oh and Samurai Fiction - made more recently, but styled like a vintage samurai film and set in medieval Japan. Hilarious, and I can’t believe it’s been so long since I’ve watched it!

1 Like

The latest Notre Dame musical movie released in recent years. It moved 12 years old me in a way nothing ever did.

2 Likes

I watched a lot of movies and tv shows but I honestly don’t know what is the best , like sometimes I like watching crazy movies like (the king of California) a man with mental problem convince his daughter that there is a treasure buried somewhere and going to find it .

Or the (Henry’s crime)a normal guy drive his teammates without knowing that they going to rob a bank and he get caught and after he got out of the prison for a crime he didn’t do he decides to do it and rob the bank .

But I think as someone used to write stories I loved (ruby sparks) it’s about a writer meets a character in his story and he can actually control her by editing the story @hazeleyes if you meet your character the winter lady introduce her to me hehehe , and I loved (midnight in Paris) I watched it multiple times and it’s about a writer for some reason in midnight while he in Paris,he time travel to the 20s and meet people from that time .

I still think I don’t have best movies , I like watching movies and enjoy them .

1 Like

I don’t consider myself to be a movie person, but the ones I’ve seen are enjoyable, at least to my tastes. The movies I recommend watching are Inception, the Ip man trilogy/soon-to-be quadrilogy(the 4th movie is coming out this summer, iirc), Kung Fu Hustle, and District 9.

Inception

The movie is about a crew that has to perform the titular act of Inception, where one implants an idea into another’s mind. Of course, the catch is that Inception is nigh-impossible to perform. Compounding this issue is that there is a third party that interferes with this job for their own reason, a third party that is very closely linked to Cobb, the man who assembled said crew.

Ip Man series

The Ip Man series is based off of Ip Man, who is best known for training Bruce Lee. The movies are not very historically accurate, but the movies make up for it with very good action, and the quality of the movies gets better with each installment.

Kung Fu Hustle

Kung Fu Hustle is another martial arts movie that is an affectionate parody of martial art films. While it being a parody makes it comedic in nature, there are a few instances of drama. If you’re worried about the drama and comedy ruining each other, don’t worry, there are only two cases of mood whiplashes, and even then, the mood whiplashes blend in said duo pretty well.

District 9

District 9 is a movie about a man named Wilkus whose job is to move aliens, which are nicknamed “prawns”, to a new concentration camp after many failed attempts to intergrate them into society. During a weapons search, Wilkus is exposed to an unknown substance that slowly changes him into a prawn, and his metamorphosis into an alien causes him to side with said aliens, as his former employers see him as a valuable test subject.

2 Likes

Coraline: absolute favorite that I’ve rewatched probably more than 20 times
Kubo and the Two Strings: very close follow-up

2019 favorite so far: Us

2 Likes

Coraline is one of my favourites but i can;t watch it much because it scares my sisters.

2 Likes

In no particular order, here are some of my favorites:

• 12 Monkeys
  • Brazil
  • Casablanca
  • Star Wars (the ORIGINAL theatrical version, not the abomination resulting from Lucas tinkering with it after the fact)
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • A Bridge Too Far
  • Inception
  • Singin’ in the Rain
  • It’s a Wonderful Life
  • The Matrix
  • Fight Club
  • Blade Runner
  • Titanic

I may think of more, in which case I’ll edit the list. Feel free to ask about my reasons for liking them if you’re interested. :sunglasses:

EDIT: Thought of a few more …

• Minority Report
  • In Bruges
  • Hugo
2 Likes

Genocidal Organ

Paprika

APPLESEED Alpha

1 Like

12 Monkeys … Great movie! And good call on Fight Club as well. Two of my favorites.

2 Likes

Here’s a list for ya:

Sports Theme
*Radio
*Miracle
*Remember the Titans
*Rudy

Action Theme
*The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
*Goodfellas
*The Warriors

I have so many, but some of these are less talked about and very unique in style. I’d especially recommend 36th chamber if you want something different! Goodfellas and The Warriors are classics.

1 Like

In no particular order these are my top 10

Gangs of New York - Daniel Day Lewis, Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz

The Departed - Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg

Series of Unfortunate Events - Jim Carrey

American Psycho - Christian Bale

Carlitos Way - Al Pacino

The Shining - Jack Nicholson

Training Day - Denzel Washington

Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 - Uma Thurman

Dodgeball - Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn

Gladiator - Russel Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix

I have seen these movies countless times. I cherish these films and I honestly can’t think of many more that have as much of a replay value as much as these. Most are dramas, which I find to be the best genre, yet some of those dramas have great touches of comedy I still laugh when I see them. All of them have spectacular scenes and I hope you enjoy them as much as I have

1 Like

My favourite movie to date is still Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -

It was one of the very few movies where we got to see Jim Carrey’s dramatic side, being he is known for being a comedian. I also enjoy the fact he’s an American actor coming from the greatest country around ( totally not biased ).

Just a quick synopsis of it - the main character goes to a doctor that specializes in erasing memory to forget his ex. The entire movie is pretty much in his head as he then changes his mind and fights against it. As someone who medically suffers from pretty severe memory issues, the movie hits close to home for me, however it’s a wonderful and thought provoking movie without the additional attachment.

1 Like

please do!
also, with everybody’s recommendations, it’s gonna take me another year to run out of movies to watch. so, cya guys next year i guess

2 Likes

You’ve got a week, then there’s a quiz.

2 Likes