Batman Ninja

Did anyone watch this, yet?

I don’t know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn’t that.

1 Like

I honestly liked it a lot, the original, Japanese one, at least. I thought the visual style was really good (especially bc it was from the same team as the Jojo OP animators) and the weeb character designs were great (expect for Damian Robin, his was kinda succ). The battle at the end was really crazy tho, but I loved it. Also, the little monkey was the best character in the movie.

1 Like

Are you telling me that, aside from the language, there is a difference between the English release and the Japanese release?

I watched in Japanese, I’m not usually a fan of watching Anime in English because I don’t like the separation of culture. That probably sounds kind of ridiculous, but I do honestly think there’s a particular feeling that is missing when English dubs are done. There are exceptions, thanks to phenomenal voice acting, but such is rare. I don’t mind subtitles, and to a degree, I also don’t understand Japanese - so if their voice actors suck, at least I can’t really tell.

It was very absurd, and I liked it a lot for that. I honestly expected it to be a bit more on the serious side though I am thankful it wasn’t. It was pleasantly satirical, kind of reminded me of Gurren Lagann’s writing in that it was self-aware of its tropes and cliches. The stylistic approach was just incredible, I mean honestly that movie is a treat for the eyes. I am someone that somewhat frowns upon 3D animation in light of traditional when it’s used in place of things, e.g. the Eva units in certain scenes from their respective films. Berserk at a time did it well, but since has gotten worse. This film though, they did it right, they did a damn good job.

Yeah, the English version was heavily rewritten for the dub (much like many other anime dubs), making it feel really different than the original because it was made with a Western perspective on it. But the dub has Tom Kenny and Tara Strong, among a few other noteable VAs, so its not too bad.
I definitely agree with the charm of the absurdity and how they handled it. Much like with Jojo (which I love for this very reason), the plot gets really crazy and they just go with it, taking it pretty seriously for the most part, but not really.
The artstyle was definitely one of the high points of the film. The CGI looked great and it was really smooth and combined with the whole visual style they were going for, it was amazing. Additionally, in the scene where Joker and Harley were living as farmers, the temporary stylistic change to that of Japanese paintings was definitely unexpected and honestly a little out of place, it still looked really great.

1 Like

Funnily enough, this transition was one of the highlights of the film for me. I’m not sure if you’ve seen the shorts which take place between Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049, but one of them - Blackout 2022 - has a similar divergence in animation styles partway through which is equally as extreme, it reminded me a lot of it.

1 Like