Basic Trust Level Guide

Hello forumers!

As you all know @idmonfish has said that they will be releasing basic forum navigation guides soon. However, I have seen quite a few questions relating to the Trust Level system, and in attempt to alleviate some questions as they are working on those guides, I have taken the information from the Discourse FAQ section and simply relayed it here for easier access.

In attempt to reduce the amount of negative impact a new user can have and increase the positive impact a veteran user can have, Discourse offers five user trust levels. These levels are visible on your user page –

• New - Trust Level 0
  • Basic - Trust Level 1
  • Member - Trust Level 2
  • Regular - Trust Level 3
  • Leader - Trust Level 4

New - TL0
Users at trust level 0 cannot -

• Send private messages to other users
  • “Reply as new topic” via Link button (UI removed)
  • Flag posts
  • Post more than 1 image
  • Post any attachments
  • Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
  • Have actual links in the ‘about me’ field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
  • Mention more than 2 users in a post

They can get to trust level 1 by -

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

Basic – TL1
Users at trust level 1 can -

• Use all core Discourse functions
    • Upload images and attachments, if enabled
    • Edit wiki posts
    • Flag posts
  • Have all new user restrictions reoved

They can get to trust level 2 by -

• Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • Casting at least 1 like
  • Receiving at least 1 like
  • Replying to at least 3 different topics
  • Entering at least 20 topics
  • Reading at least 100 posts
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

Member – TL2
Users at trust level 2 can -

• Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics
  • Invite outside users to PMs making a group PM
  • Daily like limit increased by 1.5 ×

They can get to trust level 3 by -

Note: This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. In the last 100 days -

• Must have visited at least 50% of days
  • Must have replied to at least 10 different topics
  • Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
  • Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
  • Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.
  • Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • Must not have been suspended

All of these must be true.
Note: Unlike other trust levels, you can lose trust level 3 status. If you dip below these requirements, whether from flagging or the passage of time, you will be demoted to Member. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.

Regular – TL3
Users at trust level 3 can -

• Re-categorize and rename topics
  • Access a private “frequent flier’s lounge” category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
  • Have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow1.5k)
  • Spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
  • Flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts
  • Make their own posts wiki (that is, editable by any TL1+ users)
  • Daily like limit increased by 2 ×

They can get to trust level 4 by -

• Manual promotion only at the moment!

Leader – TL4
Users at trust level 4 can -

• Edit all posts
  • Pin/unpin topic
  • Close topic
  • Archive topic
  • Make topic unlisted
  • Split and merge topics
  • Daily like limit increased by 3 ×

Note: Due to the customizable nature of Discourse, this information has the ability to change at any moment. Current options are the default of the Discourse FAQ section. In the event of a change, this thread will be modified.

15 Likes

From what I understand, lurkers aren’t able to get to level 3, right?

Correct, you must be an active member of forums. As is, lurkers can’t be promoted to TL3, unless the standards are changed.

1 Like

It also says that level 3 users are able to post wikis. I don’t get the purpose of wiki posts in forums, can you clarify that for me?

The OP above is a good example of a post that could be turned into a wiki: it’s designed to be a general reference, and the information it contains will likely need updating as the relevant forum settings get changed over time.

2 Likes

We have mostly used them so far for things that change over time and are large projects that people might abandon - for example the heroes line project aims to make a complete list of the hero voice lines: Vainglory Heroes Voice Lines - Wiki

The trust level is honestly a breath of fresh air compared to most platforms.

5 Likes

So the highest a typical member can get is TL3? Because TL4 sounds like mod powers to me.

Yes, the highest for a typical member is a Regular (TL3)

Sounds great. Btw since it’s called trust, is there a chance for it to decrease?
Also off topic, shouldn’t we have a Introduce Yourself sub forum?

Unlike other trust levels, you can lose trust level 3 status. If you dip below these requirements, whether from flagging or the passage of time, you will be demoted to Member. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.

Regulars (TL3) can lose their trust level if they don’t continue to meet the requirements. Admins and moderators can also change trust levels of users as they see fit.

1 Like

Cool. Btw how did you get “Early Adaptor”?

You get Early Adaptor by joining the forums before the vainglory 3.0 release… Assuming the bot already did it’s routine then you should already have the badge. You can change the title under your preferences.

Edit: I just realized you just joined, you may not receive it till tomorrow. When you do receive it you will receive a notification stating that you did.

I got notification called “Earned Basic”.

You haven’t received it yet then, it will be labeled “Early Adopter”
I believe the bot does a daily check for the badges and I’m not sure what time.

1 Like

Worth noting that there are other things playing in the background for example when you flag a post moderators have 3 possible responses - agree, disagree or discard. If we agree it slightly increases your background trust level, if we disagree it slightly decreases it and discard has no effect on your trust level.

1 Like

T4 is many but not all of the mod powers - for example banning users etc.

But its only assigned by the forum staff not auto assigned because yes it is quite mod like.

Where can we find badges earned? Not all badges are equippable as titles.