Apple's New Mac Pro

While the stand is way over priced, it’s common to sell professional monitors separate from the stands because the studios and professionals buying them already have fancy pivoting stand arms anyway.

This motor is not a consumer product, it’s actually undercutting the competition price wise (other comparable monitors are literally 10k + more). you are not paying an apple premium for the monitor, it’s literally the most cost effective on the market assuming it performs as advertised.

2 Likes

Apple apparently now sell the most expensive cheese graters…

1 Like

I prefer windows to Mac OS, although I never had enough money to buy a Studio my surface pro has treated me well, it runs a lot more than I ever expected it to.

I would be lying if I said I never had issues, but the problem was not the laptop, more the pen.

1 Like

Your fancy stand will not work on that monitor or?

I never questioned the monitor, from the specs and all that is known - it’s worth the money, yes, even with the stand included. It’s great monitor to say the least.

You fancy stand will work for that monitor with a cheaper (but still expensive) adapter.

1 Like

Yah, I think it’s $115 iirc …

EDIT: Nope, it’s Apple, so it’s unique and costs $200 :unamused:

2 Likes

Imagine selling a monitor stand for as much as a mid-high end pc

The stand price is dumb, but they will sell plenty of them: remember, you and I aren’t their target demo for these. As @coltonJW pointed out earlier, studios needing this kind of monitor are currently paying WAAAYYY more money for high end monitors that Apple’s new display beats handily:

[source]

Also, there aren’t many people who would consider a $1000 PC “high end” I’m afraid. My video card alone cost more than that.

2 Likes

FINALLY someone who understands why the Mac Pro was made.
I’m lusting over the XDR display as well! But I dont think I’ll need all that power, Apple will soon push out another display to replace their LG 4K display. Just thinking bout hooking up a 4K HDR display to my iPad Pro…sdhbfdbjsdbvksbvksbcbv

But for right now, let’s just wait, the XDR and the Mac Pro aren’t for us, it’s just a lot of wasted power in our hands.

3 Likes

Optimized prograde softwares.
Stability.
Eco-system.

The thing with the stand is that…it’s how Apple is going to actually make a profit out of the Mac Pro…
The R&D and production cost for the Mac Pro/ XDR Display are REAL high, and Apple knows that they wont sell much of it (compare to iPhone/Watches sales) so the amount of cost/unit is higher as well- ‘cause they cannot distribute the cost. I think that R&D + production would cost them like $4000/unit or something- a 20% profit is unusually low for Apple.

1 Like

Yeah selling computers are super computer prices is one thing…but a STAND???

1 Like

Well, it’s a nice stand :wink:

Well it better allow me to stop time and carry bulldozers for that kind of price

2 Likes

As MKBHD said, Apple could have avoided this “stand scandal” if they had just said that the display was 5999$, and it’s a thousand bucks off if you don’t want the stand. Yes, it’s the same thing in the end, but the conveying of it is much better.

In the keynote, they announced first that the display was 4999$, then later they announced the price of the stand, implying that it was sold separately. No wonder it made people’s faces crack lol

3 Likes

Unless everyone is Tim Cook or Bill Gates there is no way people can afford to buy it lol. /s

Again, the people for whom this computer is designed can certainly afford it, because they’re currently paying lots MORE for the computers they’re using to do their jobs.

This isn’t a computer for hobbyists – there’s no chance you or I could ever come close to using the full power of this beast, but there are plenty of people in certain industries (film and television production, for example) who will jump at the chance to buy this.

Just FYI

My last pro level Mac cost me almost $19K, so it’s certainly possible for serious prosumers to own one of these.

1 Like

I’m sorry I should’ve put /s next time when I’m joking :grin:

1 Like

I know this is kinda dying down, but I feel obligated to share this

1 Like

First, you don’t have to pay the absurd prices. The Mac Pro isn’t the entire lineup, people tend to hang onto Macs a long time (it took a lightning strike to make me replace my 2008 iMac), and there are usually used/refurbished machines available for much less if you’re willing to shop around a bit.

Also, it’s 2019: why would price-sensitive buyers purchase any desktop OS? Android, iOS, and Chrome exist now. I get that some people need more power, but those people are generally able to make more educated purchasing choices, so seemingly obscure options (such as buying a late-model laptop with a broken screen and running it with a cheap external monitor) are much more open to them if price is a genuine concern.

Second, iOS. If you’re using iOS devices, they cooperate with MacOS much better than with any version of Windows. The next versions iPadOS and MacOS allow you to use an iPad as an external monitor. Then there’s iOS development, and even if you aren’t a real developer, it’s not too hard to use a Mac to compile and sign some common indie app types (like Java and Ren’Py) into iOS apps. Or if you never touch the power user stuff, then there is still the seamless exchange of documents between the iOS and MacOS versions of apps.

Third, MacOS is really good at working with other OSes. Most file types will just work, most Windows software will run in a WINE wrapper (which takes like a minute to setup with a free app like Wineskin), there are a couple of virtual machine options, and you can just dual boot into Windows if needed.

MacOS is actually a much more interesting hobbyist OS in a lot of ways. The UNIX is right there, if that’s your thing, and you can do a lot of tweaking, tuning, or compiling apps on your own.

The big deal is just the user experience. It’s subjective, and hard to quantify, but most people who use Macs also have experience with Windows, and the MacOS is still less clunky and more sensible. I can use Windows, but every time I boot into that partition I kinda regret it. I think it’s been like two years since I touched Windows on my home machines, so it’s a bit hard to remember which hiccups in my workflow annoyed me most. I haven’t found a game I needed Windows to run in a while now (mostly I use Wineskin to turn them into Mac apps), so I basically haven’t had a reason to use Windows. It’s subjective, and usually a matter of things taking one extra click in Windows (or the same things inexplicably behaving differently across apps), so it’s hard to use as a debate point, but working in MacOS is just more pleasant.

Seriously though, it’s 2019 — if you’re price sensitive you get more bang for the buck out of iOS, Android, or Chrome. Desktop OSes are for hobbyists and power users now, and either of those groups can figure out a way to use an OS they like at a price here willing to pay.

2 Likes