Any other aviation buffs here?

Watching a video just now about the upcoming Airbus Beluga XL got me thinking about other aircraft that I love …

Any other aviation buffs here? What are your favorite aircraft, and why?

Hmm… I’m not a true aviation buff, but I do like seeing what the two major companies do (Airbus and Boeing).

I like the 737 series and the situation with the A380.

1 Like

I fell in love with airplanes when I was really small – like 5 or 6 – when my dad any my uncle took me to Freeway Airport (W00) near our home in Bowie, MD. I built models of military airplanes and aircraft carriers as a kid, and I dreamed about flying jets in the Navy as I grew up not far from the US Naval Academy. Later, when I finally started flying lessons, I became enamored of the aircraft of the the Second World War, in which my dad fought.

For reasons I can’t fully explain, I fell in love with the North American B-25 “Mitchell” medium bomber – the aircraft made famous by Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle’s raid on the home islands of Japan after Pearl Harbor. Perhaps it was because at the time I was learning to fly, they were still somewhat affordable, and they had the advantages of being easy to fly and having twin engines, tricycle landing gear, and enough room to carry everyone I’d ever want to bring along. Plus, they’re gorgeous:

In truth, I love ALL aircraft – but the B-25 is still my favorite.

For those interested, here are the airplanes I’ve flown:

Cessna 172

Piper Cherokees - mainly Warrior II and Archer III

Beechcraft T-34C

Lockheed P-3C Orion

I also got to fly one of these once for a couple of hours, courtesy of the Royal Navy:

Hawker Siddeley Nimrod

1 Like