Announcing: VG Community Edition

one thing i’m really pissed off by…

if you love the game so much that you refuse to let it die and hand the heart of it to the community as a last attempt…

Why would you not pay attention to it last 3 years? Why waste potential size of a mountain to be a leading world mobile game which could rival massive monsters of MOBAs…

guess we will never know

9 Likes

This will flop so hard, that I can’t find the strength to list all the hundreds valid and strong reasons why. Still shocked and didn’t read your posts fellow members and VG friends, but I will surely do tomorrow (long OT shift today, all the world situation is taking it’s toll on all of us).

Not that I really care that much after… dunno… 1k euro into the game? But what will happen with my 5k ICE currently unspent? Just wondering, obviously this is the least concerning thing given the video. You know, the game is close to my heart too… :frowning:

P.S. On a more cheering up side, am I the only one seeing who’s gonna “take it”, i.e. the dude on the right? :smiley: poor guy, from his expression I can clearly see he knows it. hhaha

P.S.S. Tencent not wanting to take over rest of the world gotta show how bad the real numbers are outside of China. Both as a player base and ICE sells volume compared to the cost running the game. Kinda sad they didn’t transfer the game to them years ago when they would have most likely agree and RN the game was going to be overall in a better place even if with more micro transactions and china type of heroes (not like rogue didn’t go that road, right?).

Cheers guys, good night! :sad:

1 Like

Kinda crazy that this is happening tbh, 2 things -

1. I really hope this isn’t an April fools’ joke
  2. Does Sean’s t-shirt say “No fear just fight”?
1 Like

I really hope this works out. I am worried about balance changes too. We can just come into a general agreement to not do any changes until SEMC figure this out. If possible.

1 Like

They’re not going to touch the game again, so I’m not sure what there is to figure out on their end.

They have to make the game work fully client side. They need to make the servers operateable by the community. They need to work out how to handle stuff like talents since levels and progressions will no longer matter. They need to as he mentioned work out a war to re implement parties client side.

There is a lot to do, and from what I understand most of it is being done as a passion project after their time at SEMC working on project spellfire.

Making it a fully client-side game would require almost a complete rewrite of the game. It’s not happening, least of all because it would destroy the longevity of your mobile device. Secondly, the nature of multiplayer games precludes the possibility of entirely client-side logic except in the case of local area networks. There is too much data to send to and from other clients, made worse by residential network traffic latency. Third, they are already planning to allow ordinary players to spin up their own servers.

Well, from the community post with the link given by Guest78 above, SEMC (specifically cloaken) stated that this is not an April Fools joke. It appears that most, if not all of their workforce is going into project Spellfire.

1 Like

it’s a bit strange that as of now (8 hours after the reddit post) cloaken has only managed to make 2 comments, neither of which answer a question

1 Like

I think they will start answering them tomorrow in a vid or ama. Today was just to collect a bunch of questions.

4 Likes

Our own balance changes?

The queen of death, anka will return.

2 Likes

I wonder if its possible for someone to edit the code and separate both modes to allow separate balance changes.

Also Niv balancing would be GREAT since he has worked on VG since birth.

5 Likes

Sorry I haven’t yet been able to respond to this rather unexpected development – it’s not yet as bad where I work as it is in places like New York, much less places like Italy, but we’re seeing our share of COVID patients, and the caseload is stretching our resources already.

Anyway, I have a few thoughts, listed here in random order:

• the chances of this succeeding are low … as in VERY low … because of the number of moving parts involved: the more complex a system is, the more opportunities for failure exist
  • as @coltonJW and @5230984 point out, they are describing changes to the software architecture that are nothing short of massive; for a company that was unable to fix the in-game chat for months, it seems a bit … ambitious
  • their timeline strikes me as wildly unrealistic: remember, this is a company that continually had trouble delivering routine, scheduled updates on time
  • I’d love to know what sort of infrastructure would be required to host a game server; back in the heyday of VG esports, a tournament server was easily carried by hand, implying that it might be realistic for individuals to run their own servers; however, if the community edition of VG is as intolerant of network latency as every previous version of VG has been, the experience is going to suck, and players will quickly leave
  • we’ll finally get to see how much of a mess the VG code is :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • assuming the hardware requirements aren’t crazy, I’d definitely be interested in a VG Forums server
  • I have a lot of legal questions, but perhaps they’ll get answered in the AMA

I’ll try to keep an eye on this thread and jump into the discussion as I’m able, but I may not be able to respond very quickly or often for the next few days.

7 Likes

:vgfrosty_happy: Me 2

Stay safe.

1 Like

Imagine giving up on improving Vainglory for Project Spellfire and that comes out to be trash or something worse, similar to a brawl stars clone? This all community thingy seems nice and sweet on paper but i think the actual implementation is gonna destroy all the good and respect that the game has earned till now. The game is already one foot into the grave rn and the community is all what’s left of this mess.

How would this work, with us being all over the world? I mean I know there’s quite a few forumers in NA, but I’m in EU and I’m fairly sure there’s a few EA/SEA players here too. Would we just have to deal with high ping, or just exclude people not in the most popular place? Have multiple forum servers? I’m genuinely curious as to what we could do.

Let’s get there, because as @hazeleyes said in his great post, this is more like a dream vision vs something they can pull off.

Most likely what will happen is turning off most of the functions of the game to shrink heavily costs, take donation in the form of “first stage organisations support” to keep servers running and after few months when the interest dwell out and thus server costs rise - we will read the final post before shutdown. Not to mention that you can say bye to half the player base instantaneously - now it’s not only MOBA without statistics, but also without even a friend list or party system or anything really. :slight_smile:

I kinda like what Gatorrex is saying. Reverting it back to 2.7 would be kinda neat altho. We would lose some.

I mean come on ppls we all know 2.7 was one of the best patch VG had.

Or maybe reverting would be too extreme but borrow stuff from that patch and try to work on it if possible?

1 Like

2.8 was the last good patch, 2.9 is the one with the HP changes iirc.

We don’t know Rogue/Ncore side story and semc is no white knight. SEMC is projecting itself like a messiah/saviour, blaming everything bad indirectly on Rogue and people are actually falling for it lol. It’s clear that Kristian doesn’t want hatred directed towards them at this stage coz they want a good reception of Project Spellfire, whenever that is released. The coming weeks will be full of sweet talks, assuring community of vg’s future and disguising themselves as if they care. It’ll be fun to watch.