Announcing: Vainglory All Stars

Here’s a link to a story about it:

Overall, not really feeling anything about it!

Yeah, it’s a PR puff piece, obviously, but there’s literally NOTHING original about anything they describe. (Other than that they’re using a game engine that’s pretty outdated at this point – which I guess is sort of an original approach :upside_down_face:)

1 Like

Till now the engine should be up to 3.0 and vastly better if they wanted to brag about it. Everything moves forward and while I do remember how good looking, smooth and not that heavy for what it offered, their engine was when first released… the competition didn’t sleep during the last years and surpass SEMC engine.

2 Likes

imagine using gold coins as your normal currency and green gems as your premium currency instead of using already established glory and ICE… . . … .

5 Likes

Looks like a joystick control scheme, not that it really bothered me but…

1 Like

It seems like with both VGAS and CB they have learned a lot from VG. Like folks, I know they have not yet backed these recent statements up, but when you hear them talk about these new projects they are addressing exactly the things we’ve been saying.

"As you know, for Vainglory, we never focused on advertising. The game had huge awareness organically, and we relied on that to drive the game. But even with the incredible advantage, we couldn’t scale the game properly and push it to a wider audience. With VGAS, we have a team of experts on the marketing side that will help us drive all this. "

"Another lesson we learned from Vainglory is that having an awesome in-game battle experience is great, but not enough. For VGAS, we are spending an incredible amount of time on building out the entire in-game experience, from in-depth character progression system to evolving gaming features to make sure the game is rewarding and engaging to our players in the long run. These things don’t work well when you add them as an afterthought, but need to be built in from Day 1. "

2 Likes

Thats one thing that I liked about hearing from both studios. They made it known that past mistakes hindered Vg and how they plan to not make them again.

NGL Im really watching them to see if they stay true to their words.

1 Like

It’d be nice to hear them explain why they felt they had to rip off Brawl Stars, tho.

3 Likes

It’s not really something you have to defend. When League came out this did not have some massive press release saying “hey we ripped off DOTA because X”. Brawl stars spawned this genre, now there are some other entries in the genre.

At this point the game only has the base. I’m sure early version of LoL looked a lot more like DOTA until they brought in other mechanics. This statement: “We are also looking into adding features that give more depth to each hero, so what you see right now may be different at worldwide launch.” seems to imply they will be expanding beyond the basic attack ult formula of brawl stars.

2 Likes

It seems like VGAS will be a bit more of a “grown-up’s” version of Brawl Stars with some of these extra developments such as character progression. As you may know, with Brawl Stars there is almost zero backdrop/story to any of the Brawlers. They did recently add gadgets which gives you something other than your attack and super.

Edit: It’ll need to be a really polished game for me to play it over Brawl Stars. While I love the VG universe (specifically Halcyon Fold days), ultimately I played VG because it was a kick-butt MOBA. Brawl Stars is so smoothe and, not surprisingly as the origin of it’s own genre, is super polished for what it is.

Oh, and I’m at 15k trophies in Brawl Stars now. Yeaaaaah.

1 Like

Honestly won’t be super hard for it to win me over from Brawl Stars. I really enjoy the game, it’s super well polished and well designed, I have always loved Supercells art direction, but there is a lot that pushes me away from the game.

The changes to siege mode removed the only longer more strategic mode, and now every mode is a quick swingy romp. This is fine for most of the game, but removing the only deep longer form offering literally cut the amount me and my friend group play in half. The other thing supercell refuses to budge on is making NPC have HP that scales with levels. It’s so weird that is modes like siege and heist the higher level your character gets, the weaker the base and robots become. At max level you can win without even getting a bot with some cheesy star powers and gadgets. Also, the progression in Brawl stars can be really painful. The levels are fine, but trying to get star powers and now gadgets on anyone you want to play is a real chore. I hope VGAS can offer a little more approachable method, for example maybe you start with a generic star power, so unlocking other ones does not necessarily give you a power advantage, just a trade off.

EDIT: If VGAS can offer a longer form more strategic format, that still fits the brawler formula like old siege did, and maybe slightly deeper more balanced heroes I will be sold

This is such a tired comeback … :roll_eyes:

Seriously, considering that the game looks almost EXACTLY like Brawl Stars, I DO think they have some explaining to do.

1 Like

Totally agree with that. Some game modes and NPC interactions need a little TLC with Brawl Stars, but for the most part, SUPERCELL has nailed mobile gaming. Their Brawl Pass that’s coming out is nearly identical to the Battle Pass from Vainglory - so I’m excited to see that in action. It could alleviate some of those other issues you mentioned (star powers - hehe, I got Tick’s in a random chest drop - and gadgets)

1 Like

As someone who played original DOTA from the first betas and someone who player lol at release - it was not a ripoff even if the same genre and clearly inspired. So ignore that.

Saying all that, VGAS (from what is shown and I feel it’s enough to clearly see) is a total and shameless ripoff of braw starts. I feel actually sad about it as so much could have been done with VG universe… atleast SEMC do a original spin off of existing ideas so even if the game is not huge success, atleast it will have it’s own identity.

1 Like

What happened to this game? Anyone know?

Haven’t heard about it in a long time, and in reddit nothing about it has been said. I wonder what may have happened… the feedback back in the days wasn’t specially good.

1 Like

The beta reviews on playstore ain’t remarkable either. I don’t think they would release it anytime soon given the current situation of vg.

1 Like

So they appear to still be working on this game. What is kind of funny is that they are pretty proud of their ability to directly copy Brawl Stars, just with different (and inferior) art.

Sigh.

1 Like

tinyfollowing

:arrow_up: This level of engagement doesn’t appear to bode well for the game, imo. What is their target market, exactly? People who like Brawl Stars but don’t like the short queues and huge community there?

Very seriously: I’m baffled by this.

2 Likes

I am just speechless tbh, I can’t think how a reasonable person will go out with that idea in the first place. Then carry over with it even if we clearly see that it’s not even a high quality clone… and btw all that aside, even VG that was created so many years ago carry 10 times better gfx too.